Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby in Bray

Options
  • 23-01-2011 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi

Just wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of ANY activities for people with babies in Bray.
    As far as I am aware there are no mum and baby yoga groups, no baby massage classes and no mum and baby groups. There are a couple of mum and toddler groups but when I called two of them I was told that the toddlers play and the mums chat and so they weren't really suitable for those with babies!
    I know greystones has a number of classes/activities and I find it strange that Bray appears to have none.
    Have checked wicklowcountychildcare website and called health centre but all they could recommend was a breastfeeding group.
    Any pointers appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Hi there,

I am very surprised that the parent groups only have room for toddlers!Also surprised that Bray doesn't have any other groups. I assume that you have maybe walked around and checked out church halls etc (The C of I churches and Presbyterian (Don't think any Catholic churches have them?!).

If the Greystones parent groups are a guide I have tried them all and not one of them is exclusively for those parents with toddlers only. Every single one of them has newborns up to about 3ish. All are very friendly and welcoming.

If you can't find one in Bray, the trek out to Greystones may well be worth it, meet other parents (and yes, it's not all Mothers either, there are some Dads knocking around too!) Come and have a cuppa and a chat. It's so important for you too, to get out, and have some sanity time!

Here's a list of the ones I know of:

Monday St Patrick's church E2.50 10.30-12.00
    Tuesday " " " E4.50 10.30- 12.00
    Tuesday Charlesland community centre (above Puroga childcare)
    E3.00 11.00-12.30
    Wednesday Presbyterian church hall, opp St Brigids school E2.00 10.30-12.00
    Friday 'The Naz' Nazerene church, Nr Tennis club in Gstones
    E1.50 11.00-12.30 (loads of very little babies here at the moment, and homemade cake too!!)

Hope you find a playgroup or something soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 starlight baby

Thanks for your post greystoner. It seems Greystones is miles ahead when it comes to stuff like this, probably why it got that 'most liveable community' award a couple of years back.
    I really was hoping for something in Bray though, walking distance. the search continues...

You could look up CUIDUI (Irish childbirth trust) on the internet. There will be a phone number. They run parent/toddler groups (babies included!) and have a listing for Bray (also in Greystones). Anyone can go but you pay less if you are a member though.

You could always set one up yourself? Find a church hall, ask about the hire and if covered by insurance and then advertise. Sounds like Bray is crying out for one and it would be very welcome. People may donate toys, or get some from charity shops. Then all you need to do is supply teas etc and biccies and if you are lucky, other Mums will help out with this. It's not a profit making organisation though, just a great community project. Maybe ask on boards if anyone would join together with you to start one up?

good luck!

Got a contact number for you...

Cuidui 'Humpty Dumpty' club co-ordinator is:

Sonja Keogh in Bray, 0857 826259.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Have you tried looking on rollercoster/magicmum ?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Have you asked the phn? I have seen posters up in the clinic in Bray. Pretty sure there is a Yoga one. Also the place where Barracuda used to be has classes you could give them a ring?

Yep Foxy I asked the phn and all she knew of was a breastfeeding group. I tried the place on the beach but they don't do any baby stuff because the only access is up steps. There used to be a mum and baby yoga in the Novara centre but not any more.

Honestly I know it sounds mad but there really is very little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Hi there,

When my Daughter was born 14 years ago, CUIDUI (Irish childbirth trust) was very active in Bray, with mother & baby/child coffee mornings etc. In fact at one point my wife was the co-oridinator for "Humpty Dumpty" club mentioned earlier, I felt like the secretary for the club! As far as I know CUIDUI (Irish childbirth trust) Bray is still active and based on the help/support my wife gained from it, I'd highly recommend it. If you contact the Humpty Dumpty co-oridinator I would expect that she will be able to give you contacts for CUIDUI (Irish childbirth trust) Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Mother and baby group: Christchurch Bray, Church Road, Tots & Toys – 01- 2768527. Meet on Tuesday’s during school terms in the Parish Life Centre at the back of church from 10.00am – 11.45am. Now it went up in fire a month or so ago so it might have moved.

Mother and Toddler Group
    , Cois Sliebhe, Tues & Thurs: 10am – 12 noon. Cois Sleibhe Community Centre, 14 Cois Sleibhe (off) Southern Cross Road. Contact (01 286 5879). €2.00 fee for tea and treats!

Our Lady Queen of Peace, Putland Road, 01 2745497 have a community mothers group once a month.

The Church groups stress 'community' over faith so do not be put off.

Also try the HSE office behind the Mermaid as it has a local notice board. (See you might have tried that!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement