Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help identify plough

Options
  • 14-01-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

can anybody on here help me identify this plough,it was a three furrow but the man that had it before me took one furrow off it because his tractor was too small too pull three furrows.im happy to leave it as a two furrow as it wont be asked to do a lot but i need new wearing parts so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.thanks all..
    IMAG0160IMAG0162

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

My guess is a kevernaland match plough, I'm not an expert though, could you post a pic of the other side?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭candor

Kverneland round beam plough. Not a match plough. The design is from the kverneland/bamford days. Not sure of bodies, any marks on the bodies to cross reference? A few more pictures after a quick clean up will be able to tell us more.

Did you get the 3rd furrow? Would save a lot of time if you could pull it. What tractor you gonna stick it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I don't recognise the plough, but i'd say that's the back of a cashel's transport box in the background! :D

Looks a good lump of a plough ,one that'd take abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

could be some late breed of a pierce, I've seen similar ones advertised as pierces before, and the disc assemblies look identical to an older pierce I have (but then again pierce could easily have bought those bits in from someone else)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

definetely kevernaland had a 4 furrow for years no problem to add another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

That is defo a pierce plough. Im 100% sure it is not a kverneland bomford of any sort, i know by the headstock and the mounting of it. The beam on a kverneland is more rounded aswell.

Since it is a pierce you will find it very very hard to get parts for it. The best way would be to buy a cheap plough you can take spares off.

clean it up a bit, if it's a pierce it'll likely have PTP cast into something

and try http://www.westlakeploughparts.co.uk/ for parts.

And let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just looked at this now and said its the same as my pierce plough outside but mines a 3 sod.i am not going to say its not any other make but just after looking at mine and its a pierce mine has a sticker on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

hi all and thanks for all ur replys,heres two more pictures i got today,had to get my brother to take them with his phone and send them to me so sorry about the quality...yes i have the third furrow for it,i got it all complete...i think....was planning to pull it with an 885 but also can use an 844 or 6640 but most likely the 885 because it has narrow wheels which hopefully will suit the 12 inch plough...any tips or ideas on the setting up of this plough would be welcome......i enclose two more pictures which may help ye also.....

sorry guys.here are the photos

plough1.jpg

plough2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭candor

cormywormy wrote: »
    That is defo a pierce plough. Im 100% sure it is not a kverneland bomford of any sort, i know by the headstock and the mounting of it. The beam on a kverneland is more rounded aswell.

Since it is a pierce you will find it very very hard to get parts for it. The best way would be to buy a cheap plough you can take spares off.

cormywormy is right, upon closer examination it's a pierce plough.

Can you get spares at all? Spurious maybe?

candor wrote: »
    cormywormy is right, upon closer examination it's a pierce plough.

Can you get spares at all? Spurious maybe?

You might get some spurious parts, but you will find it very hard. And they are a bitch to set. A friend of mine had a 3 sod one on his ford 4000 and and he was agres trying to get it right. Thats when i found out its very hard to get parts for them

hi all
    still no luck on the plough parts,ive tryed everywhere i can tink off and everyone keeps telling me there no longer available but that some stores should ave them on a shelve sumwhere.....anyone any ideas.....
    john boy or cormywormy,did ye do much ploughing with yer pierce ploughs n how did ye find them to work with???

I ploughed up some ground in the garden with it.

It turned it over, my first time ever using a plough.

Did you try westlake for the parts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

fastrac94 wrote: »
    hi all
    still no luck on the plough parts,ive tryed everywhere i can tink off and everyone keeps telling me there no longer available but that some stores should ave them on a shelve sumwhere.....anyone any ideas.....
    john boy or cormywormy,did ye do much ploughing with yer pierce ploughs n how did ye find them to work with???

Did you try spaldings?

www.spaldings.ie

I find them good for parts for old farm impliments. They may not have it in stock but they can get stuff on special order.

Might be worth a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 macdee123

definetely kevernaland had a 4 furrow for years no problem to add another
    hi i was wondering if you could help me find points for a pierce plough its a two furrow mounted with what looks like ransomes boards it has the code PTP1 and PTP2 marked on the frogs but no name plate
    thanks macdee123

hi
    i have a two forrow pierce plough which i need two points for ,the frogs are marked with PTP1 and PTP2 and the boards look similar to ransomes there is no id plate to tell which model does anyone no where to get parts for pierce ploughs
    thanks

Did you try westlake plough parts in england?

cormywormy wrote: »
    Did you try westlake plough parts in england?

hi cormywormy
    i tried them about 6 months ago they had ponits of an other make they fitted but were a loose fit i was hoping i could find the right one as the plough is in good order and i would like to see it working again i will get some pictures an post them it might help to narrow th search
    thanks again macdee123:)

pics would be great, including the ones westlake sent you.

I might be interested in them if you cant use them.

• Advertisement

macdee123 wrote: »
    hi
    i have a two forrow pierce plough which i need two points for ,the frogs are marked with PTP1 and PTP2 and the boards look similar to ransomes there is no id plate to tell which model does anyone no where to get parts for pierce ploughs
    thanks

Maybe try an old hardware shop or machinery sales place they often have parts on the shelves that have been sitting there for 20 years. What part of the country are you in?

blue5000 wrote: »
    Maybe try an old hardware shop or machinery sales place they often have parts on the shelves that have been sitting there for 20 years. What part of the country are you in?

hi blue
    i am from Co Derry and this is the only pierce i have seen in this area i saved it for the jaws of the scrape yard, i was hoping that some of you men in the south would no someone who could help
    thanks

pierce plough id
    here are some pictures of my pierce plough can anyone help with identifiying and finding of points for it. the mould boards are numbered with PN49 frogs are PTP1 and PTP2
    thanks again for your help
    can only fit one pic will send more

here are some pictures of my pierce plough can anyone help with identifiying and finding of points for it. the mould boards are numbered with PN49 frogs are PTP1 and PTP2

Looks identical to mine, but much rougher, although less worn in the metal I'd say.

hi johnboy
    could you tell me how good or bad the plough is. what is the proper colour
    do you a have name or number for it or better again two lovely new shinney points!! or who made the points was it pierce or did they just buy them off someone else is there any codes on your points
    thanks macdee123

PM sent, saw a plough exactly like it at a forge near here, I'll make a few enquires about parts during the week. I actually thought it was a ransome when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

looks like a pierce plough. did you try mchugh / kramp or spaldings for parts?

looks like a pierce plough. did you try mchugh / kramp or spaldings for parts?

I have not tried any of the suppliers you have suggested would you have any contact numbers for them
    thanks again:o

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    PM sent, saw a plough exactly like it at a forge near here, I'll make a few enquires about parts during the week. I actually thought it was a ransome when I saw it.

Hi blue
    i though the same thing when i saw it
    but after a closer look seen the pierce badge
    thanks for taking the time to look for parts

Advertisement