Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipping Up

Options
  • 14-01-2011 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

So, I've been a veggie for just over a year now and it's been going fairly well. I don't like most meat and I looooove veggie food so it suits me down to the ground.

However, the last few days I had a mad urge to eat sausages. I don't know where it came from but I gave in this morning and had 3 pork sausages :(

I'm all confused now. I want to stay a veggie but I feel really guilty for slipping up >_< Anyone got any advice or been in a similiar situation before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't worry, if you feel that you absolutely must - then go ahead.
    If you stay veggie and suffer you'll start to hate it and might stop altogether.

Most people slip up now and again with drink/fags/whatnot.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much but that's me. Try to stay off meat another year from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I don't really like the labels vegetarian, or vegan etc. For me deciding not to eat meat is a very personal decision based on your own morals and reasons. The broadest view about vegetarians is that they all believe it's wrong to eat meat, which isn't the case (also that they eat fish heh).

Your reasons and morals for not eating meat are your own. If you are tempted to eat meat and give in you can either live with it or feel guilty. If you're ok with it then the whole veggie thing is probably just a passing phase and your morals aren't as rock solid as you thought. If you feel guilty about it then it's because you had a moment of weakness and comprised your own morals. The only thing you can do is either learn from your mistake and not eat meat again or else be ok with, be a "casual" veggie and eat meat whenever you feel the weakness.

As I said though, it's a personal thing and no one else's business really. So I wouldn't be worried about other's judging you about it (just in case you were, although I didn't get that impression from your post) just worry about it's effect on you.

It can take a few "slip ups" before you can really decide if you can really resist the temptation to uphold what you believe or not. Instead of feeling guilty about it just decide now not to let it happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Good points.

Just felt like a bit of a failure I guess. As I say, I still want to be veggie but I dunno where that craving came out of cause I genuinely haved missed meat at all in the last year.

Damn sausages >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Konata wrote: »
    Good points.

Just felt like a bit of a failure I guess. As I say, I still want to be veggie but I dunno where that craving came out of cause I genuinely haved missed meat at all in the last year.

Damn sausages >_<
    Maybe you're preggers? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

I wouldnt go beating yourself up. You havnt turned your back on what you believe in. You still want to be a vegetarian and you've done so well only starting a year ago.

i like what biko said,
    Don't worry, if you feel that you absolutely must - then go ahead.
    If you stay veggie and suffer you'll start to hate it and might stop altogether.

its like anything, if you put rules on it youre gona wana break them but if you go along saying 'i can eat that if i want' its much easier for you to make your own choice :)

• Advertisement

Jim wrote: »
    Maybe you're preggers? :pac:

/panics

Luckily, no :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Konata wrote: »
    pork sausages

http://www.channel4.com/food/features/what-s-in-your-banger-09-01-23_p_1.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2006/aug/20/foodanddrink.shopping1
    The bacon contains sodium nitrite, which prevents botulism in meats among other functions. The main additive is water, as pork only makes up 87 per cent of the final product - the next ingredients by volume are salt and sugar. Three rashers will give you 20.5g of fat. The sausages are 67 per cent pork, 11 per cent pork fat, rusk, and potato starch, wheat fibre and soya protein, sodium metabisulphite, a further shot of cochineal colouring and some 'flavourings'. Per 50g sausage you get 11g of fat, of which half is saturated. Two sausages give you nearly 2g of salt.
    'Reclaimed' meat, such as pork connective tissue, is common in cheap meat-based products such as paté and sausages. Made from the last scraps of meat and offal left on the carcass after the more nutritious cuts of meat have been removed, it goes through a number of processes in order to make it palatable.

Sausages
    Think again before you touch that wiener in your hotdog.

To quote Wikipedia: “Sausage is a result of economical butchery.”
    In other words, sausages are what butchers do with the leftovers. Cut the steak meat off a cow, and what do you have left? Blood, guts, fat, various scraps, and a few organs. It would be a shame to waste so much “meat”, wouldn’t it? The butcher’s solution? Grind it all up, and stuff the remains into some entrails.
    Do yourself a favour next time you buy some sausages at the local grocery store, and look at the ingredients listed. Chances are that you won’t find entrails or kidneys in the ingredient list. Instead you’ll see things like “30% beef, 10% pork”. 60% don’t want to know.

Read more: http://purpleslinky.com/humor/food/the-five-most-disgusting-things-that-you-eat-everyday/#ixzz1B6uHgCHn
    Don't eat me, bro *oink oink*
    cute-pig.jpg
    420063539_fdc6763034.jpg
    pig-01.jpg
    :pac:

Well that's made me feel better... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I used to think that people calling themselves vegetarian but eating food without checking ingredients or parmesan or eating fish etc was so annoying but I have learned to realise that at least making an effort is better than not bothering at all.

So I agree with the others, the odd slip is better than not trying at all so don't be too hard on yourself. As Biko said if you didn't you may have grown to hate being a veggie and give up altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

What's done is done, there is no point in worrying about it! Everyone slips up in some way or another.

Everybody has cravings, it's perfectly natural. Just start afresh. I take it you've tried all the different types of veggie sausages? You could always try searching for different brands as supposed to the likes of Quorn or Linda McCartney. Alot of the time a little variance like that can take your mind off the food that you are missing. Try the different health food shops around, and pick up some of the random brands of sausages, etc.

Don't give up because of one little slip up though, especially since you stuck with it for a year!

Edit :Try the Cauldron ones, or the redwood ones. Or attempt to make your own!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

When you are craving, I say feed those cravings to avoid a slip-up! Like the post above, go out and find veggie sausages and eat up!

The only sad part for me is that I think the product selection back home (Ottawa) is way way way better. :(

But I've been vegan for so long now it's different. There is only one thing right now I'm thinking of reverting back to vegetarian to try when I'm travelling. I'd otherwise have to make my own which would require a kitchen which is more difficult when travelling and I don't want to f-around with the key ingredient cause it could be bad. :P Argh... I just wish the shops offered a vegan version of it so I wouldn't have to even think about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

If it makes you feel better konata, I once ate duck spring rolls by accident because I thought they were a fish >_< Lots of peeps have slip ups. Don't go beating yourself up over it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sure dont worry about it mah dear, you only judge yourself, just try to be the best you. I couldnt care less if I make a mistake, I just try to avoid it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

come to think of it, I ate dodgy spring rolls and chips cooked in horse fat in recent years :o

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

I think it's important to understand why you had the urge to eat them. I find that if I don't eat a lot of protein some day, I'll feel particularly hungry, and the urge would be to eat meat. I've started getting a lot more protein, including a protein shake because I need to keep my levels up when going to the gym. It's really important to make sure you get enough protein, it'll help ward off any cravings!

There's no point in dwelling on the point of slipping up. If you really want to stay veggie then do, and don't think any more about it!

Advertisement