Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scalp to Fassaore road: closed?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me whether this road From Scalp Texaco station to Fassaroe is actually inpassible. I was up there the other day and there is a big sign nailed to a tree saying "road closed" so didn't drive up, but would you be able to cycle the length of it without problems?

As from link google still have it as a valid road...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

That road has been closed for years. You'll get so far either way but it's blocked off round about where the dump used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's continuous Google Streetview imagery for the whole length of that road though which would suggest that it isn't blocked anywhere, and indeed you can use Streetview to go along the whole road, no blockage in sight that I can see. Plus those signs look awfully old and overgrown, possibly not even official to me .. more like an attempt by locals to stop it being used for some reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

haven't been along that road in years (when I was first driven down it by a mate, I couldn't believe that it actually went anywhere its so small).

the google streetview is not actually continuous, there's a gap in the middle where this gate is and I suspect that the gate may not always be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

loyatemu wrote: »
    the google streetview is not actually continuous, there's a gap in the middle where this gate is and I suspect that the gate may not always be open.
    I hadn't spotted that ( I was 'travelling' in the opposite direction and you can't really see the gate very clearly then), but the presence of a gate doesn't necessarily imply anything about the legal status of the road does it? I'm not sure I've seen any here, but in the UK there are loads of so-called gated roads in the more remote parts of the country that are public roads but still have gates at strategic points along them, mainly for containing livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

thanks all, didn't even think about streetview:o

should be grand for the bike even if that gate is closed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 roc_racer

The gate in the photo is usually always open - its the gate further down that is normally closed.

Its very ridable but you have to lift your bike over the gate. There used to be a pedestrian walk through at the side of the gate that you could get a bike through but it was closed up a couple of years ago. I'm a local resident and that sort of cr@p really annoys me - but I don't know who is responsible for the gate.

Advertisement