Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Source of B12?

Options
  • 12-01-2011 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Being new to this, I've obviously been doing a lot of research. One of the main things I've come across is the importance of B12. I was considering getting a B12 multivitamin to ensure I'll have a constant intake of it. I've also come across Red Star Yeast T-6635+, and Vecon Vegetable Stock, which seem to be good sources of B12.

Does anyone recommend one over the other, or have any other tips on vegan products that are a good source of B12?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I wouldn't recommend the Vecon vegetable stock as your main source as it is very salty! Good for making gravy though. :D Marmite contains it too.

B12 comes from micro-organisms, so algae is pretty much the most direct source of it you can get. Many soya milks and breakfast cereals are fortified with it. I can't think of any other foods in particular which are fortified of the top of my head...

Vegan supplements like Floravit (not Floradix because it contains honey), Veg1 and Seven Seas Multivitamins are also an option.

All of this is coming from a vegan point of view :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I have the nutritional yeast with added B12. Comes in a big blue tub - its a new one and the normal one is in a brown tub. I usually sprinkle some on what ever I am eating and sometimes mixed with olive oil on toast mmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm

This is a good site that tells you about reliable sources of B12, Brewers yeast is another option which is available in capsules or powder, Solgar do a liquid B12 which is sublingual so it absorbs better, Here is a link,
    http://www.solgar.co.uk/product/liquid-b-12-E1595.html
    Just try and include nuts, seeds , beans and pulses and watch your iron levels too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Shoplifters

Thank You People!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Some of the Linwoods seed packets have B12 too and can be added to lots of different types of food. They seem expensive but last for ages. Sqeez also do a multivitamin that contains it.

For my breakfast I usually have porridge with fortified soya milk and the seeds along with a glass of the juice. This provides plenty of B12, along with lots of other nutrients.

Oh and Pure spread has some B12 too. Obviously it's not going to be your main source but it's nice knowing that what you're spreading on your toast has some nutritional value. Every little helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement