Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to West Wicklow

Options
  • 11-01-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi folks,

Im in the process of looking for a house and I have been thinking that I would like to move to West Wicklow somewhere.
    What are the villages in the area like to live in (I'm thinking Dunlavin, Blessington, Donard, etc). Do they have good facilities like schools, shopping etc? What is the atmosphere in the areas like in general, would blow ins be welcome :) , Is there a half decent local, good community spirit, etc?

Any and all views greatly appreciated.

Cheers Griff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

I live in Valleymount and there isnt a whole lot to do tbh.

A town like blessington would probably suit, lots to do, close to the lake, and also 30mins from the square shopping centre.

Id stay away from dunlavin and donard.. (where is grew up!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I live in blessington originally from dublin.I love it up here ,the town is great.I moved from dublin after renting here to see what it was like.I then bought a house here.Very safe area for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 griff110

Thanks very much for the replies guys. Ill have a look at Blessington but i wanted a house in the countryside not in an estate but that would prob be very pricey in Blessington

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭mk1esc

plenty of houses around now for sale in that area, get up to the local auctioneers and see whats on their books and you will get a good deal, but it all depends on your price bracket....best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ash2007

A town like blessington would probably suit, lots to do, close to the lake, and also 30mins from the square shopping centre.

thanks for the vote for dunlavin!! grew up in the town...living near it in country now, wouldn't be anywhere else!
    you obviously have kids if enquiring about schools... good facilities here, plenty for younger kids to do...bit scarce for older kids and teenagers though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Blessington town is a fine place to live. If your looking at outlying areas Kilbride, Lacken, Valleymount and the like be prepared for harsh winter weather. We were snowed in for approx a month recently. That said it's a beautiful place to live and bring up kid's, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 davem75

What is Dunlavin like as an area any problems. Looking at the moment to move to the area.

Will be commuting to Dublin for work what is that like.

Why would you stay away from Dunlavin?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

I use to live in Dunlavin but live in Dublin now due to work commitments and wouldn't have anything bad to say about it, there are no real problems in the area some good pubs and generally a pretty good atmosphere and a good sense of community. I find find the people are generally very friendly and welcoming of others. There are some clubs in the area and I generally found that anything that I neededor sports/social clubs that were not locally available were available in Nass or Newbridge, at the end of the day its just a typical small village in Ireland. pm me if there is anything else you would like to know

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

davem75 wrote: »
    Why would you stay away from Dunlavin?
    I grew up there and Im not the only one to want to get the hell out of it!
    I still drink there sometimes because I know almost everyone there, and there is never a night out which doesnt end in a huge fight.(never including me!!)
    Was there about too weeks ago in Caplis' pub and there was a family feud which ended in 2 ambulances and 5 arrests!:eek:
    I dont like to say bad things about the place because I will always love it in 'some' ways! But I would NEVER NEVER move back, and would not allow my kids to grow up there.
    Also has a massive drug problem, but I suppose everywhere has..

• Advertisement

Heading down to look around Dunlavin today.

Thanks for the replies on the area very interesting points of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Just out of interest I was wondering what you thought of Dunlavin after you visited it ?

Visit the Dunlavin to view a house for sale. Nice house. The village though was very quiet. Nothing really to it.

Suppose I didn't know what to expect.

But it was just to far away from work in Dublin to consider.

Thanks for your comments on this.

Advertisement