Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underrated album in a bands discography?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Animal Collective-Strawberry Jam. Fair enough, it is critically acclaimed and more highly regarded than most of their early stuff, but I think it's better than Merriweather Post-Pavilion, Sung Tongs or Feels and their strongest LP to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

After to listening to Oasis's 3rd album "be here now" in full this morning for the the first time in over 10 years I have to say the whole product is better than I remembered. What does everyone else think?

A few suggestions if they ever reform and decide to re-record it :D

Take 3 mins off Its Getting Better Man, strip away some of the loud guitar layers, get Noel to work a bit harder on the lyrics ;), and drop I Hope I Think I know altogether. Oh and keep the acoustic start of Magic Pie going a bit longer, the whole song actually. Basically, just hide all the coke.

I wouldn't touch Fade In/Out, classic track....maybe I'd just turn up Johnny Depp's guitar part a bit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Another one is Obscured By Clouds by Pink Floyd - this hardly ever gets mentioned, and is actually a really good little album; more focused than Meddle and Atom Heart, and less pompous as Dark Side Of The Moon. Its almost like a precursor to that album, and has long been my favourite.

Defo!!
    The first one that popped into my mind, prob the Floyd album I listen to most these days...

Stay...what a song..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nation 98

seachto7 wrote: »
    it's a bit too long, but has some good songs. I actually though "standing on the shoulders of giants" is under rated... I like it...

Agreed, Standing on the Shoulder of Giants is an amazing album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Be Here Now, criminally underrated.

in fact my favourite oasis album.

the only thing i would change about it would maybe take magic pie off it and put the cracking b-side (i got) the fever on instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

That's not bad going though - taking until the 2nd album to find yourself and your sound.

Unfortunately Resistance is a bit pants and I hope doesn't mean they are on the continuing road to mediorcresville.

But that's a positive reflection on Origin of Symmetry, not Showbiz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Blisterman wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin - Presence
    Fairly straight forward rock album by Zeppelin Standards, but it's got some of their best songs.

well said

also

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

Bob Dylan - Slow Train Coming

Morrissey - Southpaw Grammar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Blisterman wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin - Presence
    Fairly straight forward rock album by Zeppelin Standards, but it's got some of their best songs.

Not a huge fan of Presence, but their last album In Through The Out Door is hugely underrated IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

October by U2
    Love ih

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

October by U2
    Love ih

As much as I hate U2, your name just makes me happy, so I'll allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

Qotsa.jpgQotsa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

MGMT's second album was brilliant I thought, people seem to really dislike it, maybe thats because there was a slight departure from the Kids and Time To Pretend's of the first

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

I feel like Amnesiac by Radiohead was a bit overlooked especially coming out so soon after Kid A. I've heard it being called a B-Sides album but if all B-Side albums sounded this good then bands should get to releasing them because it's my favourite Radiohead album(which admittedly is changing constantly but right now it's Amnesiac and i'm sticking to it...until next week probably :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Blood And Chocolate-Elvis Costello

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Foreverdelayed

U2 - Pop.
    Tragically dismissed by critics and many fans alike. Get to know it and it's U2's darkest and most adult album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rockerlkj

I feel like Amnesiac by Radiohead was a bit overlooked especially coming out so soon after Kid A. I've heard it being called a B-Sides album but if all B-Side albums sounded this good then bands should get to releasing them because it's my favourite Radiohead album(which admittedly is changing constantly but right now it's Amnesiac and i'm sticking to it...until next week probably :D)

I'll agree with you there, but whilst Amnesiac is a brilliant album (The Pyramid Song is definitely one of the best songs I've ever heard), I've heard nothing but good things about all Radiohead's albums (apart from Pablo Honey, which was ok, but by their current standards, it's a bit pants).

Also, to be safe, take what I say with a pinch of salt. I'm a self processed Radiohead fanboy, so I may be talking out my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

haven't really heard too many people speak about it (maybe i'm just talking to the wrong people) but i feel the the holy pictures by david holmes is a really fantastic album

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Squeakers123

I know its far too long and has been dismissed even by Noel Gallagher but I'm a huge fan of Be Here Now by Oasis. There are some cracking songs on it and I couldnt believe not one of them ended up on Stop The Clocks, which was their Greatest Hits, surely there should have been a place for D'ya Know What I Mean, Stand By Me or Fade-In Out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

seachto7 wrote: »
    Soundgarden "Down on the Upside" is pretty good IMO, but doesn't get the love.......

Brilliant but it's about 3 songs too long.It's like they stuck the b-sides on there too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭aridion

Soundgarden ROCK!
    underrated: Vanishing Point - Primal Scream

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

aridion wrote: »
    Soundgarden ROCK!
    underrated: Vanishing Point - Primal Scream
    More so forgotten, it was adored at the time to be fair. It's a close second to XRTMTR as Primal Scream go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Stone Roses Second Coming was an underrated masterpiece, the long wait between albums plus a shift in style deeply affected the critical opinion of the time. Listening to the album retrospectively , John Squires immense guitar work shines through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Stone Roses Second Coming was an underrated masterpiece, the long wait between albums plus a shift in style deeply affected the critical opinion of the time. Listening to the album retrospectively , John Squires immense guitar work shines through.

It is the flatulent sound of a dying band. The absolutely turgid Zeppelin pastiches completely smother any of the few good tunes on it. And the lyrics for the most part are squirm on your seat embarrassing. Terrible, terrible album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Travelcard

Pablo Honey is in my top two Radiohead albums but no many seem to like it.

Yowza!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

Zero1986 wrote: »
    The most underrated album in The Smashing Pumpkins' discography has to be Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music. It's certainly one of the best albums of their career and could even come close to Siamese Dream. It's a pity that the album was never properly released.

at least there is one other person out there in the world enjoying this album! it is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

lordgoat wrote: »
    Figure 8 by Elliott Smith is imo his best album. Streets ahead of XO Either/Or probably the two most regarded albums by him.

I agree with you, but will disagree next week! Can never make my mind up with Elliott Smith, I think the self-titled album, Either/Or and Figure 8 are his best but can never decide which is THE best. I think it maybe depends on your frame of mind, the earlier ones are great for indulging in a bit of good old fashioned self loathing, wheres Figure 8 and XO have fuller sounds even if the content is still as bleak. Hard to find fault with any of his work though imo, which is a rarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Sorry for the bump,

My 2 cents on the bands I like being mentioned in here.

R.E.M. - +1 for the guy who said Lifes Rich Pageant, wich is simply one of the best albums ever. Fall On Me, Superman, Begin The Begin, Cuyahoga.... Legendary songs IMO......

Blur - I personally dislike Think Tank with the exception of Out of Time, and only certain songs get my nod on Blur and 13 (and Parklife and Great Escape for that matter). Modern Life Is Rubbish is the masterpiece... Advert, For Tomorrow, Sunday Sunday, Villa Rosie, Colin Zeal, Star Shaped, Chemical World....

Muse - I like all the albums, that said, Showbiz is definitely the underrated one.

And a nugget from me - Big Star - In Space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

Ive always been a fan of Rubber Soul over every other beatles album. Its usually not seen as good as abbey road or revolver but i love the flow of it and quality of the songs. Also ive always though Sam's town by the killers was underrated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Mercury Rev - Boces.

It's a fantastic, noisy mess of an album but I love it. I listen to it far more than Deserter's Songs.

Advertisement