Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseeker Allowance query

Options
  • 16-12-2010 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I applied for Jobseeker allowance back in October after many unsuccessful job applications. I finally got word today that I was granted it to the amount of €126 p/w which is the same figure that my parents were generously lodging into my account each week. When I looked at the breakdown of my jobseeker allowance it said that the €126 p/w is coming from 'income from parents'. Does this mean that the welfare office have looked at my income and decided to match that figure or does it mean that my income is simply whatever my parents are willing/able to give me? If that was the case then why would I need to sign on at the post office each week if the money is coming directly from my parents? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

dmurphy1 wrote: »
    I applied for Jobseeker allowance back in October after many unsuccessful job applications. I finally got word today that I was granted it to the amount of €126 p/w which is the same figure that my parents were generously lodging into my account each week. When I looked at the breakdown of my jobseeker allowance it said that the €126 p/w is coming from 'income from parents'. Does this mean that the welfare office have looked at my income and decided to match that figure or does it mean that my income is simply whatever my parents are willing/able to give me? If that was the case then why would I need to sign on at the post office each week if the money is coming directly from my parents? :confused:

I could definitely be totally wrong here. Im not entirely sure what your letter from SW meant but I would be very surprised it they assessed your JSA on that amount your parents were giving you.
    They have a standard formula for calculating your means when your living at home. Basically they take your parents income and means test it. You can be ruled that your not entitled to any JSA because your parents earn too much, or they might say that you are entitled to a certain amount of JSA. Basically they calculate your means and that is taken from your JSA.

Im not sure if this answers your question or not but the way they calculate it can be seen here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/how_parents_income_can_affect_jobseekers_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dmurphy1

thanks for that. I forgot to mention that I am 25. I think that puts me in some sort of new category but im not entirely sure.

I looked at the letter again and it actually never said that I will be granted 126 euro. That figure is the 'total weekly means'. I just assumed this was the figure I would be granted each week. I presume they would state the actual weekly allowance, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

why did you tell them that your parents were giving you money each week ??

they asked what income I had and I told them that I was broke and relying on handouts from the parents. They looked for bank statments and I had a direct debit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

if i was you i would tell them that this payment is stopped now by your parents as they can not afford it, your payrents means will have no bearing on what you get from SW as you are 25.

ya thats what i was thinking alright. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Means is the amount they deduct from your payment. So if I work one day a week my slip says means 27 euro and they deduct that from the 196, or what will be 188. This seems as if they will be deducting 126 from the full JSA amount so you'll end up with 62. Best cancel that direct debit asap and skedaddle back to them.

Advertisement