Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal

Options
  • 14-12-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Anybody know what name/brand/nationality/type of coal I should be looking for if I want it to meet the following criteria?

1. High warmth.
    2. Long lasting.
    3. Good value (i.e. competitive price)
    4. Delivered to North Wicklow area.

I'm about to ring around & source it myself but I don't know anything about coal (yes, I know its probably not rocket science!!) or what to look/ask for. My experience is that most coal merchants will just push whatever they happen to sell or have the highest markup on at the time so I would like to know what to avoid or look for before calling/buying.

Also, any recommendations for coal merchants that deliver to North Wicklow & have competitive prices? I've tried Mooney's & another one in Kilpedder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Depending on where you live the Ashford/Glanbia Co-op have pretty good deals
    eg: 5 x 40KG bags and 5 bales of peat briquettes for €90

And their eco-flame logs are excellent.
    http://www.countrylife.ie/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100

As for the coal, its all Polish as far as country of origin goes.
    the smokeless/smoking grades vary by about €2 per bag

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

ashford co-op is fine, black cat is usually pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Tks for the replies.

Will give the co-op a ring tomorrow.

Slight side question but does anyone know what the difference between 'premium' and doubles' is when referring to different types of coal?

Advertisement