If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Rent supplement/allowances for recently separated person

  • 12-12-2010 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

    My wife has just told me she wants me to leave. We are home owners and have 3 children, all in school. I have nowhere to go and live. I am currently on jobseekers benefit. My wife works.

    I am feeling very numb and don't know what to do. I don't have enough money to rent a flat on my own. Do I go to the social welfare office or what?

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as I am going to be sleeping in my car for the foreseeable future, by the looks of things.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

    Go to your local community welfare officer

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

    sorry 2 hear dat, best thing to is go to your local health board office theyre d ones who deal with rent allowance etc tell em whats happened and dat ur sleeping rough u shud get emergency accomadation. good luck

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

    Try to get maintenance from your wife? Maybe access to your joint savings so you can pay for a flat for 6 months, then after renting for 6 months you might qualify for rent allowance.