Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas dinner

Options
  • 07-12-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi everyone
    This is my first xmas as a proper vegetarian. Just wondering what everyones having? I like potato, veg and stuffing but its a bit boring really. Was thinking of having some sort of meat substitute maybe. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Last Christmas I made this but substituted the chestnuts with brussell sprouts and topped it with mashed potato as well as the crumb mix. I also made a sweet potato nut roast that I kind of threw together but turned out well. Both were well received! Plenty of potatoes in all forms are key, roast, mashed etc :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

This is a really good meat substitute, although hard to find. Try health food shops. I'm having that, a nut roast with lentis and chestnut, brased butter and lemon baby carrots, maple syrup and tyme roasted parsnips, creamy turnip & brussels sprout mash, roast spuds and yorkshires :) oh and bread sauce, gravy, cranberry etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Sounds delicious Nature Boy!

I would recommend the Redwood Celebration Roast for some fake meat fun.

celebration.jpg
    Succulent turkey style roast, ready sliced, with four vegi-deli sausages wrapped in vegetarian rashers and a mouth watering turkey flavour gravy.
    I haven't decided what I'm having yet... But this thread has me drooling already :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cornucopia let you pick from 4 dishes and will cook your dinner for you mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

cornucopia let you pick from 4 dishes and will cook your dinner for you mmm

Will they deliver to Monaghan:D

Only joking - normally I spend as much time in the kitchen at Christmas churning out dinners that take anywhere between 2 and 6 hours to prepare (that way I can avoid the in-laws!) - here's what we had last year: http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/recipes/?id=199 and possibly this year too.

Don;t forget to keep an eye on potential animal products in Christmas Puddings. Mince Pies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

I got my Vegan dinner from Cafe Fresh a few years ago and it was really good.

Usually find I make something from vegsoc.org - I love their Squash and Pepper stacks, lemony leeks and sprouts, courgette christmas candles and Carrot and Cashew Fan with orange and cardamom sauce(on a bed of hot puy lentil and dill salad) mmm

All of these comes from vegsoc.org.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

They have some interesting vegetarian Christmas meals in Marks and Spencers at the moment - check but some of their party platters are vegetarian and they have vegetarian roasts of various kinds - will be trying one soon to see what it is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭vaalea

veganxmassm.jpg

Vegan xmas dinner... not making it this year though. apple-cranberry dumplings from tofurky box, beans with nutmeg, corn with soygarden, peas with basil, carrots with agave nectar and cinnamon, potatoes with garlic, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower with curried "cheese" sauce. tofurky with gravy, stuffing.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/11/08/health/20101108_thanksgiving.html

Please let me know about the veg options at M & S... vegan too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

vaalea wrote: »
    veganxmassm.jpg

that looks delicious :D

Here's their vegan list (updated yesterday!), I'm not sure what you can get in Ireland though...

http://health.marksandspencer.com/uploads/pdfs/vegan.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

veganxmassm.jpg

Vegan xmas dinner... not making it this year though. apple-cranberry dumplings from tofurky box, beans with nutmeg, corn with soygarden, peas with basil, carrots with agave nectar and cinnamon, potatoes with garlic, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower with curried "cheese" sauce. tofurky with gravy, stuffing.

that sounds SO good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

For Christmas dinner, I never use fake 'meats'. I do roast and mashed spuds, homemade stuffing and bread sauce, sprouts, mashed swede, diced carrots, marrowfat peas, roast parsnips and Yorkshire puddin' with lots of yummy veggie gravy ....all washed down with a nice Aussie chardonnay and followed by christmas pud and lashings of whipped cream.

Oh I'm so hungry now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

For Christmas dinner, I never use fake 'meats'. I do roast and mashed spuds, homemade stuffing and bread sauce, sprouts, mashed swede, diced carrots, marrowfat peas, roast parsnips and Yorkshire puddin' with lots of yummy veggie gravy ....all washed down with a nice Aussie chardonnay and followed by christmas pud and lashings of whipped cream.

Oh I'm so hungry now. :D

Im pretty much the same. (veggie 30yrs :o)
    I love cooking, so dinners just dinner really..I do it every day :)
    Cooking meat for the hubby though as I always do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

veganxmassm.jpg

Thats gorgeous looking.. *drool* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Waterfordlass

chucken1 wrote: »
    Im pretty much the same. (veggie 30yrs :o)
    I love cooking, so dinners just dinner really..I do it every day :)
    Cooking meat for the hubby though as I always do.

:) You beat me, veggie for 28 years. I am gradually weaning my meat loving hubby off the dreadful stuff.....and I can't wait for our veggie Christmas dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

veganxmassm.jpg

Looks like you'd need a wee nap after a plate of food like that! Thanks for the link to the NY Times - great ideas there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MargeS22

I'm going to try this recipe this year. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8639/layered-squash-barley-and-spinach-pie
    Looks yummy. I usually do a nut roast but going to try this. With it I have brussel sprouts, Roast Potatoes, Mash potatoes, Carrots, Roast Parsnips, and Mushrooms with onions and cream. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

I'm going to make chestnut and red wine pate en croute (a Rose Elliot recipe from an old book) to have with the roast potatoes, sprouts and other veggie bits the meat-eaters are having. Yummm. I'm considering having a trial run tomorrow as an excuse to make it twice :)

I wouldn't really want a meat substitute for christmas dinner. Even the real thing was never the best bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

MY mother found an awesome Christmas dinner recipe for me this year! Years of being the sad veggie in the corner will finally come to an end...

It's a bit of a twist on the usual nut roast idea. Was going to try and throw together a homemade "tofurkey", but meh.

A cashew nut and quinoa roast, with cranberries and everything thrown in, looks awesome. Will post up the recipe if anyone's interested, think she found it in some book or another. Oh NOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Do post up the recipe! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Thinking of trying something with a Butternut Squash. I have a butternut squash, stilton with Cranberry and Pine Nuts.. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Sajan wrote: »
    Thinking of trying something with a Butternut Squash. I have a butternut squash, stilton with Cranberry and Pine Nuts.. Any ideas?

I'm doing lorraine fitzmaurice's baked stuffed butternut squash, I can't find the recipe online, I got it from the Afternoon show website last summer so maybe they've taken it down. But those ingredients sound ideal for something similar!

Advertisement