Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan (store bought) Christmas pud?

Options
  • 27-11-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

An American friend of mine mentioned that she's always wanted to try Christmas pudding. The thing is, she's vegan.

I want to buy her a (small!) vegan Christmas pudding..... is there such a thing? I had a quick look in the supermarket this morning, most were veggie but I didn't see any vegan ones.

It doesn't have to be terribly big, in fact if it's small, all the better as it's going in the post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

This might be better made from a recipe with the weight of it and postage prices. I do know that a few health food stores in Dublin city centre had puddings last week so I presume one of them must be vegan (but I can't remember which store!). Maybe try Health Matters on Grafton St and Nourish on Wicklow St, but I'd say most larger health food stores would be getting this sort of stuff in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

Cheers! I was hoping for a happy surprise to be honest - I've been surprised to find out that some convenience foods are vegan and was hoping to hear that maybe the Dunnes Stores pud was or something ;) Haha eternal optimist, that's me!

Well, I *think* the Tesco value pudding looked vegan (so I bought it!) but I really wouldn't trust the ingredients as much as a brand in a health food store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

a health food shop should have choice of puds. They're not cheap though... quality counts,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I agree with sweet-rasmus. Maybe you could send her a slice of it and a recipe? I can imagine that the pudding would be expensive and the postage price for the weight absolutely extortionate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I might investigate that Tesco Value pudding. ;)

I got a few little puddings in Sainsbury's a few years ago - their version of the "value" range. They were vegan, very cheap, and very tasty too. They were literally single-serving sized puddings, great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

The Lidl one last year was vegan. Have not looked this year yet.

I had another look at the Tesco Value ingredients: Cider is the only questionable ingredient. Tesco are usually good about labelling something as vegetarian when it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

I saw a teeny gluten free one in Holland and Barrett that looked vegan, it was pretty cheap as well (and buy one get one for 1c at the moment!) - it was only the size of a slice or two so postage probably wouldn't be too extortionate!

Advertisement