Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safe to assume I can use own laptop for conference presentation?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Is it safe to assume that I can use my own laptop for a conference presentation?

I need to know to plan it appropriately, because the subject will be a software application. If I can connect my own laptop, I can demonstrate the locally installed version. Otherwise I'll need to work off screenshots, or videoed screen captures.

I have emailed the contact about it, but they want files submitted by Sunday, so I need to find out asap.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Always assume the worst with conferences. Never use powerpoint, videos etc. Always have a pdf of your presentation and try to convert animations/videos to gif files.

Can you compile your code or make it portable somehow?

Also if you want to connect your own laptop you may annoy other presenters if you take too much time setting things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Generally you cannot use your own laptop as it would simply take too much time if everyone did this. I have always been asked to provide my talks on a usb stick or via email before the talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Thanks.
    I'm going to go with screen captured video I think.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

avalon68 wrote: »
    Generally you cannot use your own laptop as it would simply take too much time if everyone did this. I have always been asked to provide my talks on a usb stick or via email before the talk

I usually find it takes more time when people mess around trying to make their talks work with an unfamiliar system. Maybe it was a case with older machines, but I know my Macbook Pro just detects anything plugged in and gets on with it.

Yeah I was wondering how much time it could take to plug a video cable in tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Red Alert wrote: »
    I usually find it takes more time when people mess around trying to make their talks work with an unfamiliar system. Maybe it was a case with older machines, but I know my Macbook Pro just detects anything plugged in and gets on with it.

Well, usually you provide your talk before hand and check that it works before your session. The easiest thing to do is just call them up and ask. Only they can provide a definite answer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

pwd wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering how much time it could take to plug a video cable in tbh

It depends on the setup at the conference TBH. Often they have tech monkeys a hand to deal with any issues. Sometimes they won't want people messing with the equipment and other times they'll just let you work away.

Typically I've mainly seen people use the equipment provided. Also if you're demoing software live beware of the curse of Windows 98.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

5uspect wrote: »
    Always assume the worst with conferences.

Seconded. Make a video of your software (I like for screencasts) but have a backup maybe a pdf file with screen shots, and a further backup - printouts of your paper/slides. Sometimes the $hit hits the fan and nothing work, there are no technicians and you just have to get on with it.

Red Alert wrote: »
    In case anyone uses this for future reference, I should mention that the response from the contact was much the same as this - and that I should use screen caps.

Handy enough really; less to worry about on the day.

Again for future reference - then received an official email for presenters at the main sessions saying could everyone please use their own laptops. - I'm doing two presentations - the first is 15 minutes, and the second 30. The first is the one where I was advised to use screencaps only. Though, after seeing the windows 98 vid, I think I'll stick with the screencaps for the second too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement