Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie StarLeague Season 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Any chance of updating the OP once this goes live with the names of EVERY competitor? ie: Character Name + Code.

The reason's pretty easy;

1. It looks nice and organised.
    2. It makes it easier for everyone to be able to contact/communicate with someone whenever possible.
    I know you'd like to use IRC as a means of communication but at the end of the day we're going to be chatting in-game more often than not and it will make things easier and it doesn't look too shabby either.

If you're going to put as much effort in as you have so far I'd also suggest adding the Races before each person.

Example.

terran2.jpgIE.gif Sinister.947

sc2-protoss.jpgEngland.gif Name.Code

zerg2.jpgIE.gif Name.Code

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thats a good idea and I like the layout with flags etc, very old skool sk-gaming esque.

I'm sure a tidy up will be done, afaik editing original posts cant be done after a certain timeframe.

But there will probably be a new thread and this one removed or this one updated. But you can count on a full list of players including races and obviously their teams.

Contact details are obviously a must. I would imagine we will also assign a "captain" of sorts, who is responsible for official communication between organisers/admins and other teams. That said person will be elected when teams are decided and a timeframe and criteria will be announced for that no doubt. Its not a team captain as such, just communicating with three people is messy, having 1 person is easier, then they can flow back information.

The newsletter and weekly update will go to everyone listed and obviously this forum will be available aswell.

Funky is getting all the volunteers etc together for a little chat so we can break down and get set in stone this sort of thing but i really like that idea.

I think the next while looks like this

Complete signups.
    Verify everyone involved and gather contact info
    Assign teams
    Assign team communicators
    Release team lists (thread and mail)
    Fixture list

And then some other stuff.

I don't want to jump the gun on Funky, its his baby, I just happen to be around a little bit more in the daytime, but once he gets us volunteers down and fleshes out thoughts, plans and ideas I'm sure there will be an announcement to box everything off :)

Sweet sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Any chance of updating the OP once this goes live with the names of EVERY competitor? ie: Character Name + Code.

The reason's pretty easy;

1. It looks nice and organised.
    2. It makes it easier for everyone to be able to contact/communicate with someone whenever possible.
    I know you'd like to use IRC as a means of communication but at the end of the day we're going to be chatting in-game more often than not and it will make things easier and it doesn't look too shabby either.

If you're going to put as much effort in as you have so far I'd also suggest adding the Races before each person.

Example.

terran2.jpgIE.gif Sinister.947

sc2-protoss.jpgEngland.gif Name.Code

zerg2.jpgIE.gif Name.Code

Yep, Doc pretty much covered everything. There'll be a new thread going up in the next few days with all the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

JackQ 167

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

I'm in

puzl
    Gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

If Harry is in I have to join :)

Anotheridiot
    Still in practice league.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

holy crap.. pimpeh.. long time no see man

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭brimur69

brimur
    silver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Jesus when lads with accounts from 2001 with less than 10 posts in 10 years pop in and join up you know **** is serious! :D

• Advertisement

Don't you know it!!! \o/

Deadline Approaching ?!?!?!

12 midnight signups close, any last minute entrants would want to get their nitro packs on, requiring a Factory is no excuse, you've had two weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭BENJIspendlove

suspenso

This is going to be seriously competitive, had a sneaky at the teams as they are being formed...looking good!

I apologise in advance to my team! :o

Hopefully I get more time to practice before we start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

I also wish to apologise profusely in advance to my team for having too many probes and pylons and not enough units.

My main problem is a huge one - not knowing my enemy. I have only played with Terran and only really get the weekends to play.

Scanning the opponents base is a bit pointless if you don't have a clue what you're looking at heh :)

Slowly learning what enemy units and structures can spot my cloaked ghosts, so at least I'm getting there.

I might just be a team asset yet! :D

The joy of it being team, you can get alot of help from the higher skilled players on the team ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

So, do we have all the teams formed or what? Can you update the OP please?

We are finalising the last few bits and bobs.

Hopefully at somestage this week things will get rolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fair play for organising this, but mashing up 1v1 with 2v2 is allways bad idea. Why not to try make only 2v2 tournament or only 1v1. You beed to stsrt from simple things first.

I will be in, we will see how it will work, as from reading first post, i still dont havr a clue.

Shadowhearth.254 silver league.

Fair play for organising this, but mashing up 1v1 with 2v2 is allways bad idea. Why not to try make only 2v2 tournament or only 1v1. You beed to stsrt from simple things first.

I will be in, we will see how it will work, as from reading first post, i still dont havr a clue.

Shadowhearth.254 silver league.

We have done 1v1 and 2v2 tournaments. The 2v2 games are really just a decided or clutch game.

We wanted to emphasise the team aspect, and most importnatly encourage the community building, and encourage stronger players to help weaker players.

If we did a 1v1 I could easily tell you who would be in the final 8.

At least this way, the stronger players will either ignore their team and helping out and fail, or they will try help the weaker players, give them a bit of help, and the team will have a chance.

It is as much about making players have fun, have a positive experience, and come out better and smarter players then when they started, it is more this, then it is about making a tournment with a winner.

Also if we made it a 1v1, a boards player wouldnt win simple as, imo

TheDoc wrote: »
    We have done 1v1 and 2v2 tournaments. The 2v2 games are really just a decided or clutch game.

We wanted to emphasise the team aspect, and most importnatly encourage the community building, and encourage stronger players to help weaker players.

If we did a 1v1 I could easily tell you who would be in the final 8.

At least this way, the stronger players will either ignore their team and helping out and fail, or they will try help the weaker players, give them a bit of help, and the team will have a chance.

It is as much about making players have fun, have a positive experience, and come out better and smarter players then when they started, it is more this, then it is about making a tournment with a winner.

Also if we made it a 1v1, a boards player wouldnt win simple as, imo

Will the team be fixed untill the end of tourney? If so it might sound fun. As for 1v1, it would be fun to make boards tourney only. No 1 poster poeple in it :). Anyway like i said, count me in too.

Are you using sc2 tournemt software? Or it will be just custom games?

If you have been registered before the closing date then there should be no problem.

Team creation is being managed by some other parties so if they have room to fit you in magic, unfortunately there might not be room as we did specifiy a date well in advance for signups, but we can see what we can do.

Yes you are stuck in the team you get assigned for the duration of the tourny, unless we create an elaborate transfer scheme, but I doubt that will play into Season 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Any plans on streaming games or throwing some videos up onto youtube?

ah sorry, well if no space then okay, i newer knew that boards.ie SC section is actually alive :D. if no space i can wait for ather one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Da Bounca wrote: »

would be interesting if casting was done for this,

Da Bounca wrote: »

It is an interesting concept. But when we look at it as a whole, games are arranged at the two teams conviniance, which may not also be conviniant for the likes of a dedicated caster or streaming team.

Its something to be discussed alright over the coming week or so. Obviously casting, ventrilo and commentating does leave open the gap for "cheating" , but I think we are very much taking for granted that we have an honest and mature community and the same for the competition and that the utmost in respect and honour will be upheld.

Its an idea, and something we can explore. I wouldnt say it impossible for certain games/matches to be higlighted by us as potential " o **** i wanna watch that".

There is a weekly newsletter been thrown out every week updating results etc so part of that could be potentially " match of the week" or " games to watch" or something along those lines.

I had the idea of each week interviewing a different player everytime, not only to give a nice feel to the whole thing but also getting everyone knowing each other.

It wouldn't be insane to contemplate the possability of perhaps having a team do an audio review of a game with someone, talking bout why they did this, that or the other.

The main thing is we want to keep things simple and straight forward, a basic idea. At the moment the prioirities are just getting the league from start to finish.

After that we can sit back and see if it was worth the effort, what the feedback was.

If things are positive and well, I wouldnt rule out these options down the line. But we are taking this on its own, season 1. Like Dustaz says, we havnt even started and the temptation is to say
    "yeah we can do everything!!!"

or the temptation to build it up to let people down.

We are very much prioritising things on our end, and managing what we know we can.

But there is a rather nice list of potential additions should things be succesfull, but for now, we are solely focusing on just boxing off rules and the likes, map rotations and then announcing the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Looking forward to this now. Need to do some major practice soon before it starts. Does anybody have a vent server? If not TeamLiquid have an open vent server which people could use for games etc.

ventrilo://chromium.typefrag.com:11005/servername=teamliquid.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

The teams have been posted here!

Advertisement