Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sick?..."you need to eat meat!"

Options
  • 25-10-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

Need advice guys.

I'm sick again, I've been sick nearly constantly for the past 10 weeks. i get a day or two feeling well and im back being sick again whether its sinus infection, sore throat, chest infection. I've been on two lots of antibiotics and steroids in the past 4 weeks and i've missed a lot of work.

I eat loads of fruit and a lot of green veg like broccoli and spinach and i eat chickpeas and other beans a lot.
    also im taking acidophilus and all the vits i need.

anyways, people keep saying to me 'you just need to eat meat' and im bloody sick of it!!! even the doctor said 'oooh your a vegetarian' as if it all made sense!!
    what do you say to them? I've tried the 'well ive been veggie for 15 years and this is the last 10weeks???' but it doesnt seem to make them happy.

I dont understand why im sick but i dont think it has anything to do with being veggie.

so i need advice on good comebacks and also how to built my immune system (foods to eat, drink etc. I stopped eating eggs and avoid dairy as much as possible lately, could that effect my immune system?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 winnie84

Yes, you should eat meat to have protein. it can help you recovery soon, Take care. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

maameeo wrote: »
    Need advice guys.

I'm sick again, I've been sick nearly constantly for the past 10 weeks. i get a day or two feeling well and im back being sick again whether its sinus infection, sore throat, chest infection. I've been on two lots of antibiotics and steroids in the past 4 weeks and i've missed a lot of work.

I eat loads of fruit and a lot of green veg like broccoli and spinach and i eat chickpeas and other beans a lot.

anyways, people keep saying to me 'you just need to eat meat' and im bloody sick of it!!! even the doctor said 'oooh your a vegetarian' as if it all made sense!!
    what do you say to them? I've tried the 'well ive been veggie for 15 years and this is the last 10weeks???' but it doesnt seem to make them happy.

I dont understand why im sick but i dont think it has anything to do with being veggie.

so i need advice on good comebacks and also how to built my immune system (foods to eat, drink etc. I stopped eating eggs and avoid dairy as much as possible lately, could that effect my immune system?)

Eat fish,loads of protein.
    It will get you back on your feet again,or chicken too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

maybe maybe not if you want to up your protien intake get a decent brand of whey (stay well clear of tony quienn and , H&B)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I see that the thread title is a little ambiguous to those who are not tormented with the question. No more suggestions to eat something not vegetarian!

sweet-rasmus

I am sorry to hear you are so unwell maameeo. The main things I know are lots of sleep and no stress to help fight a cold/illness. It's a pity your doctor didn't have any more suggestions for you.

I see that the thread title is a little ambiguous to those who are not tormented with the question. No more suggestions to eat something not vegetarian!

sweet-rasmus

I am sorry to hear you are so unwell maameeo. The main things I know are lots of sleep and no stress to help fight a cold/illness. It's a pity your doctor didn't have any more suggestions for you.

Thats ok sorry about that,but if you look at the tables showed below,you actually have to eat quite a bit of vegetables to be able to get the normal proteins the body needs to be able everyday life.
    You have to eat 44 carrots compared with 1 cod fillet,just to give an example,to get about 22g of protein.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-vegetable.htm

http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-fish.htm

But then again i am not vegetarian,i just love fish:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Vegetarians do not source their protein from vegetables. If you read the OP you see that maameeo isn't asking for protein sources. She is looking for advice, from a vegetarian point of view, to help get better.

sweet-rasmus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

seawolf145 wrote: »
    Thats ok sorry about that,but if you look at the tables showed below,you actually have to eat quite a bit of vegetables to be able to get the normal proteins the body needs to be able everyday life.
    You have to eat 44 carrots compared with 1 cod fillet,just to give an example,to get about 22g of protein.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-vegetable.htm

http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-fish.htm

But then again i am not vegetarian,i just love fish:)

Or you could just eat an egg. :rolleyes:

maameeo, are you vegetarian or vegan?

I don't honestly think it has anything to do with your diet, I used to have similar problems shaking colds before I became vegetarian.
    But it might be a good idea to get a total check-up and blood test, to see if you're low on anything. And I would advise to change doctors. A doctor giving you the 'oooh your a vegetarian' simply doesn't know what he's talking about, you wouldn't want to trust that person with your health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

OP, You are the best judge of your own diet but to me it seems that you do not consume enough protein or calories. I was actually surprised one day to find how little protein there is in chick-peas.

What I recommend is that you buy lots of dry-roasted peanuts. They have surprisingly little salt compared to many peanuts and they are not oily either.

Just 100 grams will give you 30 grams of protein, lots of good fat and lots of calories. Tesco sells 500g bags of KP dry roasted nuts for something like €3.00. Eat lots of these bad-boys. Put them in sandwiches, in your dinner etc. Lovely.

You do not need meat to stay healthy at all but you do need to be diligent and attentive to your nutritional needs. Consider buying an iron supplement or a multi-vitamin as well. And as a poster said above, a protein supplement is another option.

For a few months this year I just didn't get enough fat, calories and protein and my body got pretty worn down.

Vegetarians do not source their protein from vegetables. If you read the OP you see that maameeo isn't asking for protein sources. She is looking for advice, from a vegetarian point of view, to help get better.

sweet-rasmus
    |

Well in that case you should try to eat something with alot of D vitamins,best cure against cold and flu symptoms.
    But when thats said the recommended proteinintake for a normal human,unless you are a athlete,is 0,75g protein per kg bodymass.
    And you have to eat a lot of vegetables to get that daily.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

seawolf145 wrote: »
    |

Well in that case you should try to eat something with alot of D vitamins,best cure against cold and flu symptoms.
    But when thats said the recommended proteinintake for a normal human,unless you are a athlete,is 0,75g protein per kg bodymass.
    And you have to eat a lot of vegetables to get that daily.:)

It's a really good thing we don't rely on vegetables for that, then, isn't it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Did this happen after you gave up all those foods after that allergy test or w/e?

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's a really good thing we don't rely on vegetables for that, then, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope so,just trying to help:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

OP, looking for medical advice on an online forum is madness. We can't take a proper medical history from you, can't examine you, can't do bloods, etc. Nor are the vast majority of people here trained to do that even in person.

Shenshen has given the best advice so far. If you're not happy with what your doctor has said, get a second opinion from another GP. I can assure you that not every doctor automatically assumes vegetarians are unhealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Ice.

If you are eating enough calories per day from fruits, vegetables, nuts & seeds you will not have a problem with protein. I would recommend you increase your intake of raw fruits and vegetables, make sure you are drinking enough water and try and get some more sunlight if possible for the next few weeks and see how you feel then. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Shenshen wrote: »
    A doctor giving you the 'oooh your a vegetarian' simply doesn't know what he's talking about, you wouldn't want to trust that person with your health.

+ 1 go to a different doctor.

And check other factors like were your living. I had a really bad run serveral years ago with chest infections and doctor couldn't work out why turned out there was a leak in the wall cavity of my apartment and it was really damp but there wasn't any clear signs of this and I didn't find out until I moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I gave up meat decades ago for conscientious reasons but within weeks I noticed a clear improvement in my health. I know we're all different (but still human!) but the notion that being vegetarian in itself causes bad health is uninformed.
    Perhaps increase intake of tofu, quorn, soya and eat organic wherever possible - don't underestimate that aspect - and get a brighter doctor.
    The Dublin food co-op (I'm assuming location here, sorry if I'm wrong) has all of that at reasonable prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

In my (non-qualified-to-offer-advice) opinion, your diet isn't the cause of these problems. I won't ask you personal stuff here but perhaps this could be stress related? It may sound silly but a good massage can get rid of a whole bunch of toxins from your body, combine that with a load of fresh fruit, veggies and tons of water and you'll be on the road to recovery!

ps your doctor is an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Thank you for all the good advice guys!
    I was more looking for advice from vegetarians who understand and get plagued by this response to being sick by non vegetarians. I definitely wont be eating fish or other meat to get better, so i wont be following any advice of the like.

Sorry Sweet-Rasmus if i caused a bit of a stir, i didnt mean to.

@Shenshen i'm a vegetarian but i've an intolerance to egg and cows milk so I avoid them. I got bloods done a few months ago but i might go again! thanks for advice!

@CokaColumbo I just bought roasted monkey nuts! theyre yum and not salted, ill be eating loads of them now :) thank you!

@Tar yea i was thinking that, it does seem like ive been sick since i started that diet but tummy pains if i go back, lose lose :/

Thanks everyone else, have to get back to work so cant individually reply but good advice all round, gona drink more water, fruit, veg and nuts and soya...and perhaps go to a different doctor!

but stress could quite possibly be the cause! :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd just say get bloods done at a different doctor and compare. Also check what exactly is in the food you gave up B12, omega oils etc and see if you are eating enough other things that have them now. Maybe reintroduce one food at a time too to see if any are agreeable and which are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Absurdum wrote: »
    It may sound silly but a good massage can get rid of a whole bunch of toxins from your body

What toxins and how does rubbing get rid of them?

• Advertisement

What toxins and how does rubbing get rid of them?

Mainly lactic and uric acid, it also releases endorphins and seratonin and increases blood circulation, whilst lowering blood pressure and generally relaxing the person. Fairly sure these are positive things for someone under stress.

You sound sceptical so I won't waste my time typing any more, and we've gone off-topic anyway.

Mainly lactic and uric acid, it also releases endorphins and seratonin and increases blood circulation, whilst lowering blood pressure and generally relaxing the person. Fairly sure these are positive things for someone under stress.

You sound sceptical so I won't waste my time typing any more, and we've gone off-topic anyway.

They sound sceptical because there isn't any science behind this claim.. I'm not saying a message wouldn't be nice and relaxing but it's a myth that having one will do anything related to toxins. Muscles consume various substances and then produce several other substances during metabolic activity that are either excreted, or converted into related substances and excreted. Usually these are shipped off to the liver for disposal or transformation back into glucose, which is then released and sent back to the muscles for re-use. They are not "toxic".

Anyone interested in looking further info can check publications like the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

OP, You are the best judge of your own diet but to me it seems that you do not consume enough protein or calories. I was actually surprised one day to find how little protein there is in chick-peas.

What I recommend is that you buy lots of dry-roasted peanuts. They have surprisingly little salt compared to many peanuts and they are not oily either.

If you're trying to consume more nuts, peanuts are probably not the best ones to pick, it's better to pick something that isn't a ground nut, as in a nut that grows in the ground.

Maameeo I knew you had been sick on and off but when you put it like for the last 10 weeks, that sucks and I just hope you get better soon.

It really doesn't seem like it's your diet that's causing it although it's not for me to say. I think a lot of people can know their own bodies, I know the only time I get sick is because of stress. I always feel sick during exams etc. Other health issues have surfaced in the past due to stress, a doctor would never be able to tell me that, I avoid them anyway, I really don't believe in taking medicines unless I really had to.

ztoical wrote: »
    They sound sceptical because there isn't any science behind this claim.. I'm not saying a message wouldn't be nice and relaxing but it's a myth that having one will do anything related to toxins. Muscles consume various substances and then produce several other substances during metabolic activity that are either excreted, or converted into related substances and excreted. Usually these are shipped off to the liver for disposal or transformation back into glucose, which is then released and sent back to the muscles for re-use. They are not "toxic".

Anyone interested in looking further info can check publications like the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

so does it help relieve stress or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Yes it does. The simple fact that you will take 30 minutes or an hour for "me time" will relieve stress. It's common knowledge that lactic acid builds up in muscles that are being used. That can come from running, gym work or simply being tense. A massage will get rid of that build up of lactic acid and helps 'relax' the muscle in the same way that streching would but it would be wrong to describe that acid as a toxin.

Was not addressing wither it relieved stress or not, I was addressing the statement made that it would 'get rid of toxins' which it would not.

Wither it would relieve stress or not would depend on the person getting the message.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Need advice guys.

ive been vegAN almost a year now and i havent had a cold or flue since. id avoid dairy completely even as an ingredient such as milk chocolate. you'll feel better

--LOS-- wrote: »
    If you're trying to consume more nuts, peanuts are probably not the best ones to pick, it's better to pick something that isn't a ground nut, as in a nut that grows in the ground.

Why did you not include an explanation or a reason for disregarding peanuts in your post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Although you're not trying to lose weight, since you've cut out what most vegetarians use for protein, namely eggs and dairy, then it would be worth keeping track of what you eat over the course of a few weeks.

This will let you see if you're missing out anywhere or indeed will confirm if you're eating properly. An online tracker like www.fitday.com has the typical nutrition for most foods and will also give you a breakdown of your protein intake so you can monitor that.

You don't mention what kind of exercise you do, if any. If you're into anything aerobic - running, cycling, swimming, etc, then cut them out completely for two weeks. Some people will always train lightly through a sickness, but in some cases, cutting out exercise completely for a couple of weeks will have you training properly more quickly than training through the sickness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement