Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waitressing.

Options
  • 21-10-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

Yo.

So I work in a hotel. I'm mainly in the bar but a few days a week I work in the restaurant. People often ask me questions like "what's nicer, the duck or the lamb?".

Now I usually just say "I don't eat meat". Most people just say okay and then choose for themselves. But some people get really weird about it! I've had a couple of people saying things like "you shouldn't be serving food if you can't taste it for yourself".

So should I just pretend I eat meat? I don't want to though. But I'm sick of customers being like I mentioned above.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I would think in this sort of situation you are working for the hotel and representing them as you serve cusomters. Can you ask a chef/your boss what would be best to advise the customer on this one? I'm sure your coworkers/employers will understand. "I hear that the X is very good". There's no need to pretend to eat meat. I wouldn't expect a staff member in a vegetarian restaurant to have tried all of the dishes, but would still like to know what is tastiest often enough when trying to decide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

oh that must be annoying OP! It would bug me if i got that reaction all the time.
    I agree with SR here, best to do is ask which is tastiest or whatever they call it and and say i hear... is good..etc and if they ask more then say well i dont know because i dont eat meat. I wouldnt pretend to be something your not. :)

you could then tell them how good the veggie option is? :D recruit more veggies like lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I agree with the others suggestions, I also wouldn't be offering up the information straight away that you don't eat meat unless you want to get into a debate. If they ask you just say use the suggestion given, if they push you then you can't really avoid saying you don't eat meat. Tricky situation though!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I worked in a hotel restaurant too a few years ago and was in the same situation once or twice I think. Never got any negative comments though, I think one time it actually turned into a conversation about vegetarianism and what I ate, etc. It was a small, touristy town though and we mainly got bus loads of Germans and they were all pretty friendly. I accidentally dropped a brussell sprout into one guys pint of Guinness one time when we were serving veg and he didn't care at all, just laughed and said 'oh, I'll just leave it in!'
    Anyway, I'm digressing...

I'd just do as sweet-rasmus said, just check with the chef's what to say about each dish, no need to say anything about your being vegetarian.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

'you shouldn't be in a restaurant if you don't know how to order'
    I just said I didn't eat it w/e. I don't really do the whole always be polite thing :p

You'll always get weird people no matter what, one guy wouldn't believe his steak was irish, demanded they wrap it up so he could bring it home for testing. another guy punched a waiter. good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I don't really do the whole always be polite thing :p

It's the same thing though....they can't see you sulking afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

You'll always get weird people no matter what
    And this applies to every industry - I tell stories for food and/or money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I work in a clothes shop, and currently we have 3 fur jackets and leather skirts. When customers ask my opinion, I give it completely impartially. to my own views/beliefs. If it looks well on them, I let them know. They rarely ask me what I think of it for myself, because the clothes are generally for older ladies, 30 plus etc. About the fur coats, usually we get the "What do you think of that?", the reply I give is, "It's really popular, the colour is gorgeous". I like the colour, I just hate the material!
    *It's fake fur by the way, but it still looks gross!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Lamb for sure. It's much better than duck, especially cooked on the bone.
    Yum !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yo.

So I work in a hotel. I'm mainly in the bar but a few days a week I work in the restaurant. People often ask me questions like "what's nicer, the duck or the lamb?".

Help!

Always recommend the more expensive dish!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah I had a few people ask me the other night what was nicest. (anyway it's stupid when people ask that it's pretty much all up to personal preference but whatever) I used the "I heard x is nice". Woo!

Also, random side note, did you know that the majority of vegetable soups in restaurants are made with chicken stock? Loada bollox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Also, random side note, did you know that the majority of chicken soups in restaurants are made with vegetables? Loada bollox!

I know. Tis terrible. Da poor wee vegetables, boiled alive. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I used to work in a hotel, and while i'm not vegetarian, i rarely eat red meat, and i'm pretty much phasing out my consumption of chicken. Steak was of course the number one dish on the menu, and everyone asked "hows the steak tonight?"

Rather than start a converstation about how i don't eat red meat, and be asked the inevitable "well how can you recommend it if you never eat it?" I'd just say, jokingly"I haven't had it this evening, you get pretty sick of eating steak every night!!" People would just accept that, as they assumed the staff were fed before their shift started. Problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Pass the book, say x customer told me it was delicious. x

Advertisement