Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ameteur geology courses?

Options
  • 20-10-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of part-time / night time geology courses available for the general public? I know Trinity in Dublin ran a 10 week night course for the lay person up until a few years ago (and may still do so) but are there any others?

Also, what books/materials would any geologist types recommend for self study?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

dogmatix wrote: »
    Anyone know of part-time / night time geology courses available for the general public? I know Trinity in Dublin ran a 10 week night course for the lay person up until a few years ago (and may still do so) but are there any others?

Also, what books/materials would any geologist types recommend for self study?

I'm pretty sure that there's one in Cork. They have an active society there anyway.

For a broad introduction, just find out what text book first years get in one of the universities. The department secretary would happily tell you I'm sure. My first text book was Earth, by Press and Siever. No doubt it has been superseded by now, but I still have it and use it from time to time.

You could also get your hands on The Irish Landscape, by Frank Mitchell. I think it's out of print, but I'd say you'd find a second-hand copy without too much difficulty. You could use that as a guide for your own excursions. There are more expensive books as well.

I was actually thinking of approaching someone in the mid-West with a view to seeing if I could teach a course. I'm not sure if there would be much demand for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trynabe

there is a course in cork at ucc,,however its mid term at the moment ,,it wont start again til 2012 ,,weds evening for a few hours ,2 year course ,,it costs a few grand a year ,,,,,
    but i found an interesting 1 with the open university ,,costs about 450 sterling ,,work at home type ,,you need to be self motivated for it
    im trying to find out if the colleges here recognise the degree you get

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

They never have anything in the mid west, I love geology and my son is getting interested now. Any idea where i could get rock tools and good irish geology books?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 trynabe

gsi ,,type it in to google ,,geological survey of ireland ,,,,
    http://imnh.isu.edu/digitalatlas/geo/basics/geology.htm
    good site here for basics

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

They never have anything in the mid west, I love geology and my son is getting interested now. Any idea where i could get rock tools and good irish geology books?

What sort of rock tools are you talking about? Do you mean field equipment like compass/clino and a rock hammer? Or are you talking about more detailed stuff like for preparing mineral samples? Send me a pm for more details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

yea a basic little kit, with an eye magnifier for looking at the crystals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'm pretty sure that there's one in Cork. They have an active society there anyway.

For a broad introduction, just find out what text book first years get in one of the universities. The department secretary would happily tell you I'm sure. My first text book was Earth, by Press and Siever. No doubt it has been superseded by now, but I still have it and use it from time to time.

You could also get your hands on The Irish Landscape, by Frank Mitchell. I think it's out of print, but I'd say you'd find a second-hand copy without too much difficulty. You could use that as a guide for your own excursions. There are more expensive books as well.

I was actually thinking of approaching someone in the mid-West with a view to seeing if I could teach a course. I'm not sure if there would be much demand for it though.

Thanks for the info and sorry about the delay in responding! I'm based in Dublin so Cork is out of bounds for me. Did manage to get a copy of that book (official title is reading the irish landscape) and rather good it is too. I do a lot of walking in Wicklow and Wexford so it is impossible to avoid geology!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Hi there. Just to mention that Trinity College are running those open lecture series again this year. Check out the link.

http://www.tcd.ie/Geology/news/seminars-geol-wondersofprehist.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 parlare

if you are interested in geology, i can propose some books about it) for example, this one)
    http://reslib.com/book/Great_Geological_Controversies

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

The IGA (Irish Geological Association) is/was running a basic geology course. Not sure will it be run again.

PM me if you want contact details etc

Stephen

• Advertisement
Advertisement