Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What course to do before graduate law?

Options
  • 18-10-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,
    Firstly, I'm in 6th year, and I really want to become a soicitor some day. Secondly, I don't do a language and I live in Limerick so really want to attend UL next year. Thirdly, no, I don't want to go to LIT because I think it's just depressing! Penultimatley, I'm not going to get the 440 points currently required to gain enterance to Law Plus. Finaly, (and here comes my question) What level 8 course would be best to complete before applying for a place in the Graduate Law course? Here are some I was considering and also there points requirements;

Business Studies (385)
    Economics & Sociology (330)
    Politics & International Relations (340)
    Public Administration (330)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Firstly, If you think you can get 380 points then there is no reason you can't get 440. I def think most people are capable of getting at least 450 via pure hard work.

Anyway, I did Law in UL and would say that all those listed would prepare you well to some extent. Business would be the best degree in my opinion there, just from point of view that it opens up alot of doors to you in case you change your mind about law - for eg if you work hard and get good results you could get an excellent Accountancy/Tax/Consultancy job out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

NUI Galway offers the BA in legal studies and another subject.
    Basically, it works like this:
    1st Year: legal studies (contract law, Irish legal systems) plus 3 other Arts subjects like history, economics, sociology and politics, IT, English etc.
    2nd year: legal studies plus one subject from first year.
    3rd year: same as before. Get the BA.
    4th year: Stay on for one extra year: get the LLB (postgrad law qualification) which finishes off the subjects needed to be a solicitor.

So you'll be Mr. Carroll, B.A, LLB and well qualified to practice law.

A subject like Commerce or Public/Social Policy will usually let you complete the LLB in 2 years instead of 3 (one with legal studies).

Advertisement