Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lone parents/Rent allowance entitlements regarding child

• 17-10-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I split from my partner recently and moved back into my parents home(Im a man by then way)
    I have a young child just under two years,
    I have gone through the courts, was granted guardianship, joint custody(mother primary carer) and I have access to my child for 13 days a month during that time he stays with me at my parents house, sometimes he stays longer.

I am unemployed, I was on Jobseekers benefit until June, made a claim for Jobseeekers allowance in June, and claim has been pending since that time, I have had meeting with inspector two weeks ago and still have heard no word on when am to receive claim, but I am receiving a cheque of 120 euro every week from CWO until claim is processed.

Because of days that I have my son I find it very hard to find a job that will fit around times I have him, as I my parents are in work and are not there to mind him, plus I cant afford childminder.

I find it very difficult to look after child in my parents home, as it is only a small 2 bedroom house with myself, mother, father and one of my brothers already residing there and with my child there aswell its very tight, sleeping wise its me, my brother and my son sleeping in the same room at night. and as its been sudden me moving back in the house isnt togged out for a toddler, parents are not thrilled with arrangement either.

Im paying my parents rent, obviously paying for essentials for my son, and also paying matinence.

I have enquired about rent allowance before I went to court regarding child, and was told need court papers regarding custody and access, and need be on housing list and issue points on the list.

I have recently applied to housing list, but am yet to hear am on list or what points I have been issued.

Now that I have papers from court outlining custody and access, I intend on applying for rent allowance.

Would anyone be able to tell me would I be entitled to a house or apartment given my situation, and if so how long does it take for the whole process to come through?

Also I wonder would I be entitled to lone parents given the amount of time I have my child?

Any help anyone can give me be much appreciated thanks :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Given that you have a child for almost 50% of the month, you may be entitled to rent a two bedroom place with rent supplement. Ask your CWO about this and the maximum rent levels in your area.
    To qualify for rent supplement you need to be deemed to have been assessed by the local authority for housing or renting for six months.
    Ask the local authority how long it takes for your application to be assessed.

You would'nt be entitled to LPA given you are not the primary carer.

I find your situation scandalous - that you have the child 50% of the time, yet your ex-partner receives (I presume) all the benefits plus you also pay maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭McNulty32

snubbleste wrote: »
    Given that you have a child for almost 50% of the month, you may be entitled to rent a two bedroom place with rent supplement. Ask your CWO about this and the maximum rent levels in your area.
    To qualify for rent supplement you need to be deemed to have been assessed by the local authority for housing or renting for six months.
    Ask the local authority how long it takes for your application to be assessed.

You would'nt be entitled to LPA given you are not the primary carer.

I find your situation scandalous - that you have the child 50% of the time, yet your ex-partner receives (I presume) all the benefits plus you also pay maintenance.

Its long story, she works full time on ample salary, gets maintenance from me and receives Childrens allowance, but in terms her commitment to child, its questionable to say least, which is why I got Joint custody and in fairness I wanted as much time as I cud get with him so took the access, but the judge still thought I should pay her maintenance.

But be honest having him here in my parents is a nightmare, we need our own place and soon, and 6 months is far too long to wait, Im hoping there is some emergency clause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭analbeads

after you fill in the local authority housing forms you then get called in to be assesed and then you will be put on the waiting list. call the office and tell them that you need to be assesed quickly as you need to apply for rent allowance.
    you wont get lone parent allowance as your not the childs primary care giver, but if you ex dosent claim any benefits then you will get an extra €29.80 for each dependant child you have.

i dont agree with snubbleste regards maintenance and child benefit, when the judge was going through the childs costs it would have being worked out as eg. if the childs expenses are €150 a week then that amount would be multiplied by 52 to get a yearly amount €7800 and child benefit would be taken away wich would bring the amount to €6000 and then it would be divided by 52 to get a weekly amount of €115.38 which would be divided by 2(each parent)......€57.69 maintenance to be paid to the primary care giver. child benefit actually benefits both parents not just the mother. :rolleyes:
    the ops ex must have being able to prove that she pays for most things eg. clothes, shoes or else she would not have being awarded maintenance

Advertisement