Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are all Vegetarians Fat???

Options
  • 03-10-2010 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

I eat meat and love it and will continue to eat meat for the rest of my days.

I know many vegetarians, nice people, but personally cant stand their choice.

One thing I have noticed is that they are nearly all over weight. Strange indeed.

My question is how are these people overweight when all they eat are greens???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Cos they eat loads of spuds and pasta too

But the ones I know aint fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Any vegetarian I know is very slim. And I'd imagine the OP is - as usual - talking through his hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Ooh, another thread generalising things. Goody.

Funny,most of the vegetarians i know are quite slim.
    Could people actually be different sizes?! Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭immature ejaculation

your fat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I know a few vegetarians and they all slim

• Advertisement

your fat!

His fat what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Vegetarians can eat plenty of things besides greens. Pasta, cheese, rice and yogurt just to mention a few things.

I haven't noticed vegetarians being fatter than anyone else though. I'm a vegetarian and I weigh about three and a half stone less than I did when I ate meat.
    I know many vegetarians, nice people, but personally cant stand their choice.

Why do you care what someone else chooses to eat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

I know a few vegetarians - some skinny but most of them overweight.

Im not an expert (or a vegetarian) but Im guessing they are eating more carbohydrate than protien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

oh and one vegetarian I work with.... she is very condescending when it comes to other peoples diets, and almost cries if you eat meat in front of her, but got very annoyed with me when I queried why she wears leather shoes!

She also eats from a chipper which uses lard to cook the chips in but when I told her this she got really p***ed off!!

alwaysadub wrote: »
    His fat what?

His fat idol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Ah vegetarians, oh how I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I could kill for a burger right about now. One that is well done, no red in the middle, with grease dripping off it. Bit of cheese on it. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Hitler was a veggie , just sayin....

<_<

>_>

That's right folks , 14 posts and I've already Godwined the thread. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm a vegetarian. (not one of those annoying "aww poor animals!" vegetarians)

...and I'm not fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I've been eating in Cornucopia for almost twenty years and I don't think I ever saw any any really fat people there in that time.

Now, I've seen quite a few obese people in Burger King and the like though.

Maybe you just know unhealthy vegetarians who don't know how to eat well.

The Pizza, Chips and Diet Coke brigade.

Beans on toast being about the healthiest meal they consume.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I know a few vegetarians - some skinny but most of them overweight.

Im not an expert (or a vegetarian) but Im guessing they are eating more carbohydrate than protien.

They also eat a lot more dairy products like cheese, unless they're vegan..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I've been eating in Cornucopia for almost twenty years and I don't think I ever saw any any really fat people there in that time.

Now, I've seen quite a few obese people in Burger King and the like though.

Maybe you just know unhealthy vegetarians who don't know how to eat well.

The Pizza, Chips and Diet Coke brigade.

Beans on toast being about the healthiest meal they consume.

Food of the gods.

Anyway, the reason they are fat is that they don't hunt their food.

I know a slightly over weight vegan.
    He had a hissy fit when I told him that certain plants have a similar central nervous system to some animals.
    He was none too pleased when I asked him what he was going to eat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just because you're vegetarian, doesn't mean you're healthy and just because something is suitable for vegetarians, doesn't mean it's healthy either.

Nevermind being overweight, a lot of vegetarians just look very unhealthy because they aren't getting the right nutrition elsewhere.

Most people don't eat enough vegetables and fruit anyway and when you cut out something like meat from an already deficient diet, well you're not going to cope very well.

If you're going to go vegetarian or vegan, or already are, it's important to get the best nutrition possible, as it is with meat eaters too, do all people do this? No.

A lot of the "meat substitutes" have little to no nutrition anyway and this is what a lot of vegetarians go for, cheap, taste bud pleasing junk.

A diet with plenty of (organic) dark green leafy veg, fruit, sprouts and adequate nuts and seeds and of course exercise will help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Terry wrote: »
    I know a slightly over weight vegan.
    He had a hissy fit when I told him that certain plants have a similar central nervous system to some animals.
    Love the animals ... Hate the plants! As if a central nervous system determines whether or not an organism is food? :cool:

I do like good vegetarian cooking, such as Indian, but that stuff will kill you too. I've tried cooking some myself, and the amount of oil (coconut, ghee etc.) used in some Indian cuisine is insane. Even worse: vegans won't eat normal ghee, which is butterfat, but "vegetable ghee" is similar to margarine and is even worse for you. If you're poor and working on a building site in Delhi, you need the energy, but otherwise ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

Terry wrote: »

Tell him about the 'Backster Effect' next time he goes to dig in to a plate of greens.
    That'll really freak him out.

OT; I've met very few fat vegetarians.

/non-thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I know several vegetarians (all of whom are between 15 and 20), none of whom are fat. In fact for most of them, its an eating disorder they want to cover up to others and themselves with something more acceptable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Veggies like anybody can be big or small or can have good diets or bad. The fat ones Ive known may not eat meat, but are mad for carbs and not just pasta, they're big sweet eaters.
    Sisko wrote: »
    Hitler was a veggie , just sayin....

<_<

>_>
    Not true. He drank too. He was a vehement non smoker though and tried to instigate the first offical smoking bans.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP you should look at Tar. She's not fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP you should look at Tar. She's not fat

Tar's a SHE?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Confab wrote: »
    Tar's a SHE?

In her mind he is.

Confab wrote: »
    Tar's a SHE?

Good god. How long have you been on boards?! You didn't know? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

because chocolate is not meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Yeah the few veggies i know live on cheese, pasta and sugary foods and some vegatables too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm not fat - I'm just big boned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Are you sure you aren't confusing vegetarian with lesbian OP?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement