Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegetarian meals

Options
  • 01-10-2010 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

What are some easy enough vegetarian meals to cook?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Bob Z wrote: »
    What are some easy enough vegetarian meals to cook?

Depends what you mean by "easy".. are you looking for something quick, or something that doesn't require a lot of cooking steps, or just something that cant' be messed up? ;)

I guess one of the easiest recipes I've got is vegetarian gulash (hungarian stew):

1/2 turnip cut into cubes
    1-2 carrots, cut into chunky slices
    1/2 punnet of mushrooms, quartered (or whole, if they're small)
    1 onion, chopped
    1l of water
    3 teaspoons of paprika
    1/2 teaspoon of chili
    2 bay leaves
    Vegetable gravy granules (most gravy granules don't actually contain any meat, so it shouldn't be difficult to find)

Sweat the onion until soft, add the vegetables, stock and spices.
    Simmer for about 30 mins, until all the vegetables are soft. Remove the bay leaves, stir in about 2 teaspoons of gravy granules and salt to taste.
    Works very well on mashed potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

thanks got any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Butternut & chick pea curry - I use a similar recipe to this (but I use paste instead) http://eatlikeagirl.com/2008/11/04/butternut-squash-chickpea-and-spinach-curry/

thanks got any more?

Well, what exactly are you looking for?
    I could post a number of recipes, but unless I know what you want that'd be a bit of a waste of time

thanks got any more?

Ok, one of my quickest favourite is stuffed pasta with eggs :

1pk of any kind of stuffed pasta (tortellini, ravioli, anything you can find in the cold shelves at Aldi, Lidl or Tesco with vegetarian filling)
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
    2 eggs, scrambled up
    Salt
    Pepper
    Freshly ground vegetarian parmesan (or other strong hard cheese)

Boil the pasta as per instructions on the pack, drain and set aside.
    Fry the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until the onions are soft and glassy. Add the pasta, and keep frying until the pasta is starting to brown a little in places.
    Pour over the eggs, stir until the egg sets.
    Salt, pepper, and add cheese to taste.

With a nice salad, it's a good and quick meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

What's the aim? Nutritious, healthy, quick to make or is it to impress?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Patatas Bravas - Spanish style potatoes with paprika and tomato purée is fantastic for a side dish! Shamelessly nicked from the BBC GoodFood website, but made it the other week and it was yum: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10047/spanish-potatoes

Daddio wrote: »
    Patatas Bravas - Spanish style potatoes with paprika and tomato purée is fantastic for a side dish! Shamelessly nicked from the BBC GoodFood website, but made it the other week and it was yum: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10047/spanish-potatoes

They sound yum... a bit like the spicey potatoes that I make, only without the onions, and with tomato puree... interesting, I shall give it a try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

One of my fav dinners at the moment is Portabello mushroom burgers! Marinate the mushroom in maple syrup and soy sauce. Bake it in the oven and serve on wholegrain burger buns with lettuce, red onion, beef tomato and ketchup!!! Making me hungry just thinking about it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Rasmus wrote: »
    What's the aim? Nutritious, healthy, quick to make or is it to impress?

the first two and also to save money and 'm not planning to be vegetarien but curious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Shenshen wrote: »
    Ok, one of my quickest favourite is stuffed pasta with eggs :

1pk of any kind of stuffed pasta (tortellini, ravioli, anything you can find in the cold shelves at Aldi, Lidl or Tesco with vegetarian filling)
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
    2 eggs, scrambled up
    Salt
    Pepper
    Freshly ground vegetarian parmesan (or other strong hard cheese)

Boil the pasta as per instructions on the pack, drain and set aside.
    Fry the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until the onions are soft and glassy. Add the pasta, and keep frying until the pasta is starting to brown a little in places.
    Pour over the eggs, stir until the egg sets.
    Salt, pepper, and add cheese to taste.

With a nice salad, it's a good and quick meal.

aww that sounds yum! might have to break my no eggs diet to try that one, mmmmm :)

Advertisement