Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best cheap gin?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Any gin enthusiasts out there who have been brave enough to try the cheaper gins available?

I'd like to have a go at making sloe gin but am reluctant to take a chance on my precious Tanqueray. Was thinking of getting something in (eg) Lidl or Aldi - any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Not a massive gin drinker but like the odd G'n'T
    Lidl Gin is drinkable, don't find it much worse than Cork Dry Gin,

If your in the north Sainsburies do some very nice gins for reasonable prices (I think Blackthorn is one)

Does anybody know the cheapest place to get Bombay Saphire?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I've found ASDA used to be the cheapest place for Bombay Sapphire but am rarely in the North anymore so haven't priced it in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Does anybody know the cheapest place to get Bombay Saphire?

the only place is the duty free.. 47%abv

its a lot nicer than the 40% stuff we get here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The only ones I generally drink are Bombay Saphire and Hendrick's.

I find there is a really big difference in taste between gins, so these taste best to me. Never was a fan of Beefeater or Tanquary to be honest.

Regarding the cheaper ones, no great experience. I grew up drinking Bombay Saphire so never had to start at the bottom so to speak. Whenever I'm served a gin made from Cork Dry or Gordon's though, there really is a remarkable difference in taste, i.e. lack of taste I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Have you tried the Crimson Gin ? ... found it fairly decent (I only have a G&T once in the blue moon so no expert) Distiled in a pot still so the actual spirit would definately be of a better quality but could not tell you about the actual taste with the botanicals ... Bombay would be the other go to Gin for me also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Have you tried the Crimson Gin ?
    It's amazing.

The Sainsbury's own-brand London Dry Gin is fairly drinkable for the price, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Not a gin drinker but.....my boss at work says that Rives Gin is of a very good quality given its price (13.99)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

ok to drag up an old thread?
    Im looking to make SLOE GIN.
    Adding sugar and sloes to gin, so the base quality isnt too important.

The cheapest price for gin I can find is Tescos WINDSOR CASTLE LONDON DRY at €14.59 for 70cl. Anyone got any other suggestions? Id like to make a good bit, for Christmas presents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Aldi Hopkins gin has won several awards over the years.

Or if you know someone going through duty free, you could ask them to pick up a bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dudara wrote: »
    The Aldi Hopkins gin has won several awards over the years.

Or if you know someone going through duty free, you could ask them to pick up a bottle

I think Lidl have one for 14.20 or there abouts.
    However, the better your gin, the better your sloe gin will be. You'd be surprised how much of the gin comes through.

I'd also advise steeping the fruit without sugar and adding it after straining to give more control.

I don't know why all recipes put sugar in the bottle - you don't need it for extraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I think Lidl have one for 14.20 or there abouts.
    However, the better your gin, the better your sloe gin will be. You'd be surprised how much of the gin comes through.

I'd also advise steeping the fruit without sugar and adding it after straining to give more control.

I don't know why all recipes put sugar in the bottle - you don't need it for extraction.

Thats an interesting idea - will the sugar dissolve well in the sloe/gin?

It would be hard to had sugar and sloes to my lovely Bombay Sapphire :)

Ive been thinking about trying some Plum Brandy, but dont particularly care for brandy. Any suggestions for what would go well in vodka?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I use the cheapest gin I can find, either something from Aldi or Lidl, or Tesco Value gin. There's no point using anything more expensive.

As for making it I put the sugar in first along with the sloes and gin. It dissolves quite slowly, takes a couple of days usually, so adding it at the end of the process to taste would be pretty tedious I imagine.

Alun wrote: »
    I use the cheapest gin I can find, either something from Aldi or Lidl, or Tesco Value gin. There's no point using anything more expensive.

Have you tested this theory?
    I would have said the same until I tried Monkey 47 sloe gin and we went on to make Blackwater hedgerow gin. You get much much more complexity with a nice aromatic gin.

Alun wrote: »

As for making it I put the sugar in first along with the sloes and gin. It dissolves quite slowly, takes a couple of days usually, so adding it at the end of the process to taste would be pretty tedious I imagine.

Ah yeah, when we made our hedgerow gin, the fruit was steeped in 60%abv gin which meant we needed to add water so we brought it to strength with a sugar syrup.

I guess, in the homemade version, you don't want to add water so a syrup wouldn't work.

Still, my worry with putting it in the bottle at the beginning is that you can't take it out if there is too much.

aonb wrote: »

Ive been thinking about trying some Plum Brandy, but dont particularly care for brandy. Any suggestions for what would go well in vodka?

Damsons

Advertisement