Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Required to provide a veggie dish

Options
  • 22-09-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi All,

A stupid question maybe; a quick google and search on here couldn't provide the answer. Are restaurants required to provide a vegetarian dish on the menu? Or is this some mad idea I've had in my head for years even before I turned veggie?

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Just looking on Google myself and I can't find anything.

I doubt very much that it's the law though. I'm quite sure that I've eaten in restaurants with no vegetarian options.

Also if such a law existed, I'm sure that something about it would pop up in a Google search. The fact that we can't find it suggests to me that no such law exists.

I'm only guessing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

JCC wrote: »
    Hi All,

A stupid question maybe; a quick google and search on here couldn't provide the answer. Are restaurants required to provide a vegetarian dish on the menu? Or is this some mad idea I've had in my head for years even before I turned veggie?

J

No. On what basis could you insist a restaurant must provide a particular dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Nope unfortunately not. Don't think I've ever noticed one without some sort of veggie option but they would probably make you something up even if they didn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Hi All,

J

I don't think they do, I've seen plenty of places with no vegetarian option on the menu.
    My husband (who sometimes gets forced by workmates to eat in places he normally wouldn't) says if you ask, they tend to point to the fish option...
    He usually ends up with just a portion of chips.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As said, no obligation to do anything of the kind. It's just bad business to provide none at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JCC

I don't know where I picked up the idea, happily I've rarely been to a restaurant without a veggie option though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

I don't know where I picked up the idea, happily I've rarely been to a restaurant without a veggie option though!

you've been lucky so :D

many times been somewhere with nothing, even when you try order just veg you get dumbfounded faces!

places are getting better now though, thank god!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Indeed, everybody like, oh what can you eat lalalala at the restaurant yesterday, then when mine came out all the jealous faces.

also my dad ordered chips AND garlic cheese potatoes, a man after my own heart :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Some veggie options are amazing! It's almost like the chef is saying, "Look! I can make a vegetarian option! I am AMAZING!!"
    :D

Last week in the work, the girls in the catering unit were dying to get a taste of the new pasta veggie option they had for me upstairs, cos they kept it until I was up and then heated it up! Love them! :d

Advertisement