Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seitan

Options
  • 22-09-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Ireland (Dublin preferably) that sells seitan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Hi,
    seitan is normally found in health food stores or in asian stores, where it is commonly known as "mock duck" or "mock abalone". It is simply fried gluten.

I think one of the Veg*n Boardsies here has previously posted up directions on how to seperate the gluten from the rest of the wheat in flour, if you'd like to have a search.

I get mine in the Dublin Food Co-op, in D.8 (near St. Patricks cathedral), 'cos its a flavoured, organic one - for just under a fiver but I've seen tins of mock duck in Holland and Barrett stores too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Thanks a million thoushalltnot,

is the mock duck you buy already made up, or does it have to be made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

The mock duck is already cooked, in a tin. It can be quite greasy so I rinse it under the tap and give it a bit of a squeeze before using it. One nice way to use it in a stir fry is to coat pieces of it in seasoned cornflour then fry it until a bit crispy, remove from the wok and stir fry your veggies etc, add the seitan back in at the end.

I've also found a german (i think) version in the health food shop at the top of camden st.

Advertisement