Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Head Hotel

Options
  • 20-09-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

I took a look in here yesterday, after seeing a sign advertising rooms for 75 euro! I had assumed (incorrectly!) that this place had closed down.
    Although it's a mad place, undoubtedly charming and all that - it's next to delapidated with peeling walls, smells damp, miscelaneous objects just left hanging about, and flies buzzing around etc!
    What is the story with this place! How do they keep it open? Do they have some kind of grant? I can't imagine they get much business, and after some of the reviews I've read on the web I can see why.
    I remember it years ago as I used to go to the nightclub, and even then it was a bit kippy....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As far as I can see they make the most money by persuading gullible car drivers to park in there for €3 a pop when the rest of the (free) car park outside the amusement arcade is full!

Personally I'd expect to be paid at least €75 a night to sleep there, not the other way around. It does get used for film sets occasionally when the producer wants that unmistakeable run-down 60's or 70's look to their film. There was a film with Pierce Brosnan in it that was filmed there a few years ago, and I think an episode from the George Gently police drama that was on the BBC recently was filmed in there (it's supposed to be set in depressed 60's NE England, so pretty authentic :))

• Registered Users Posts: 14,880 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is that not €75 per week? There's definitely people living there - there's washing hanging out on the fire escape.

There was another thread about it on here recently, if I was in any way motivated I'd find it and merge this into it, but, y'know, its late...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

would they not be closed down for breach of regulations?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

loyatemu wrote: »
    is that not €75 per week? There's definitely people living there - there's washing hanging out on the fire escape.

There was another thread about it on here recently, if I was in any way motivated I'd find it and merge this into it, but, y'know, its late...

Haha, I didn't think of that, maybe it's 75 a week, or are you joking? I don't remember seeing washing out front, perhaps from the train?
    I did find out though that most of their business is indeed from renting the space to film crews.
    I read a funny couple of reviews on tripadvisor or the like, one of them mentioned the bartender at the hotel, who greeted an inquiring guest with 'Your kind is not welcome here' or something. (Northeners!)
    Mad!!

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-473453-bray_head-i

Advertisement