Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New site - opinions wanted

• 17-09-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm just looking for opinions on my latest site....

http://www.cuplaconstruction.com/index.html

It's the third site I've completed, I'm still very much a novice but I would appreciate any feedback.

I have to go over the text content with the owner so ignore all the "your text goes here nonsense"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Logo on homepage doesn't look great. The version on white is much more impactful. It should be linked to the homepage on all pages. Remove 'Welcome to' from the title tag, it does nothing, put something better like location or industry keywords there instead.

Main content could be further up the page with more above the fold. Left align the text for readability. Link the Residiential, Commercial and Exterior headings to their respective pages.

Location information could be mentioned - Carlow area.

The gallery layout is quite graphic oriented. You'll need to work in much more text for SEO especially - otherwise it becomes stylish but with too little substance. However the more text you use, the more the gallery gets pushed down. Ideally they could be more side-by-side but your nav menu position works against doing that. It's also not clear that there are multiple galleries in each category.

Contact page could do with a form and a map. Left align the text.

The site could do with a lot more text and better treatment for SEO (headings, alts, titles). The inline css could also be stripped out to an external file.

Be aware that CushyCMS doesn't provide a mechanism for adding new pages.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

tricky D wrote: »
    Logo on homepage doesn't look great. The version on white is much more impactful. It should be linked to the homepage on all pages.
    A silly oversight, will do

Remove 'Welcome to' from the title tag, it does nothing, put something better like location or industry keywords there instead.
    Ok, do you just mean like a list eg: Cupla Construction.com , building, fencing, carlow etc

Main content could be further up the page with more above the fold. Left align the text for readability.
    I'll play around with that and see how it looks

Link the Residiential, Commercial and Exterior headings to their respective pages.
    Silly oversight again, will do

The gallery layout is quite graphic oriented. You'll need to work in much more text for SEO especially - otherwise it becomes stylish but with too little substance.
    Would alt tags and titles improve this at all from an SEO point of view? I won't fit in much more text, the design is quite restricting in that sense as you pointed out below

However the more text you use, the more the gallery gets pushed down. Ideally they could be more side-by-side but your nav menu position works against doing that. It's also not clear that there are multiple galleries in each category.
    Maybe put a heading above the thumbnails on the left? I was a bit concerned about this myself

Be aware that CushyCMS doesn't provide a mechanism for adding new pages.

I'm not sure if I'll use it at all tbh, just put it in there to see how well it worked

hth

Thanks for your input

Advertisement