If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Rent Relief & Rent Allowance Please Help!

  • 17-09-2010 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

    Hi All,

    Im not really sure which one of the above myself and/or my partner could be entitled to. We both live together. I'm on JB and doing very casual work a week (one day, if any days at all) My partner went back to college last week as a mature student and will be getting the back to education allowance. Someone explained (and what I gathered from the internet myself) that the Rent Allowance is for people that are not working and their only source of income has to be a Social Welfare payment and the Rent Relief is for people that are working. <- Does this mean even one day a week or proper part-time/full-time? My partners only source of income is his back to education allowance, which is a form of social welfare? Would he be entitled to the Rent Allowance? Which one would I be entitled to? As some weeks I don't work any days at all therefore my only source of income is my JB payment. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!