Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Amateur Photography Group

Options
  • 14-09-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I am planning on starting up an amateur photography group in Wicklow town.
    The plan (so far) is to meet every second Tuesday in a place in town (perhaps upstairs in Phil Healy's - or the like), and to also plan outings and have weekly themes etc.
    Topics for discussion on the Tuesdays could be 'how to take good portraits', 'ISO and camera settings', 'photo manipulation tools', etc, etc.
    To keep us busy during the shorter days of winter, I thought themes would be good, so we could all spend the fortnight taking photos of whatever subject is chosen. And whenever the weather holds out we can do a group shoot of somewhere nearby.
    To help us all with critiquing and sharing our photos, I have started a group on a popular and free photo hosting site, so members can just sign up and start uploading their photos to the group.
    It would also be nice to have a few exhibitions every year, and to possibly seek sponsorship or such.
    To get people involved, I'll be placing posters up in shops around town and try and get a little publicity for the group.
    I'd like to get people's opinions on this idea, as there are some camera groups around in Arklow and Bray, but they have been around for years and have become a little cliquey and stale (from what I hear).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Sounds interesting. Are you a photographer yourself? I wouldn't mind hearing more about the project as it progresses - if I am not mistaken, there is a photography group in Bray too. What photo site have you started a group on?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

This is something I would be interested in. Let us have more info as soon as it becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

Rasmus wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. Are you a photographer yourself? I wouldn't mind hearing more about the project as it progresses - if I am not mistaken, there is a photography group in Bray too. What photo site have you started a group on?
    Cheers
    I'm not a photographer by trade, I am a creative director (well, I was back in Sydney) with years of experience in directing shoots, retouching, colour correction, photoshop, etc. etc. I'm hoping to get a few experienced people in to give talks, but initially I plan on just covering the basics of getting to know your camera, learning, playing and comparing shots, then moving onto software, subjects, editing, experimentation and sharing (with the help of everyone's input of course).
    The site I am testing out is www.mejuba.com at the moment, it seems to have all the features the group may need, and is free. I've yet to look into manipulation software but like the idea of photoshop express or picasa.
    And yep, there is a Bray and an Arklow group, but never one in Wicklow.
    I'll keep anyone who is interested posted via a pm when this gets off the ground. It'll be a good way to get out and keep social during the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,025 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

do you know any details of the Bray group?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    do you know any details of the Bray group?

google is your friend... http://www.braycameraclub.com/links.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement