Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Luke Kelly appreciation thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

A legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

in before brummytom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Brummytom will be all over this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Should be in the music forum.

Thanks for the heads up about the programme, btw. It'll be something different for when The Inbetweeners is over.:pac:

snyper wrote: »
    in before brummytom

Haaaaate to not have RTÉ.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

snyper wrote: »

Post some heaving bosoms too and we'll totally make his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

baz2009 wrote: »
    Haaaaate to not have RTÉ.:pac:

God bless the RTÉ player.

Luke was a legend, plain and simple. One of the only people truly deserving of such a title.

If this gets moved to the Trad forum, as such threads usually do, I might scream. The Dubliners transcended musical genres, while playing traditional songs and music, they managed to bring them to a wider audience, and with Luke, made the music of the people finally more accessible to the people - before the Dubliners, traditional music was seen as sacred; the Dubliners made it fun.

It's a tragedy that Luke was taken at such a young age, when he had much more left to give. I'm just thankful that fantastic recordings still exist, and are still listened to by many. I hope that will be the case for many more years to come.

Just as an aside, I played in Birmingham Town Hall on Sunday. As I sat there, thinking of all the fantastic acts who'd graced the stage - Queen, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles - it was The Dubliners, obviously, that I first thought of. To be sat and playing on the same stage that Luke and Ronnie once stood was an honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Why did you move my thread?

I posted it in after hours to get the most coverage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Dainty Davey - one of my favourites, i think because I was so taken by it the first time I ever heard it. It's weird - archaic scottish language, luke's deep masculine voice singing the woman's point of view tenderly and plaintively and not at all sounding out of place. It's rarely done, even less so well. The song always seemed kind of 'controversial' to me too (for the time) - I know there is a tradition of bawdy ballads, but this isn't bawdy yet quite a frank account of a passionate fling with a man on the run.

before i get carried away, the show is starting - RTE One

edit: thanks OP, i would have missed this if I hadn't seen your post...in After Hours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

before i get carried away, the show is starting - RTE One

edit: thanks OP, i would have missed this if I hadn't seen your post...in After Hours...

+1...hadn't known it was on tonight til I saw your post, delighted I've finally seen it all the way through, had always caught bits of it over the years.

Legend is indeed the right word for Mr. Kelly....love Scorn not his Simplicity & his rendition of Days....

Cheers again Johnny Utah:)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

Will this be shown on the player does anyone know ?
    Is it a new documentary or has it been shown before ?

Cheers,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Think it's from the mid to late nineties, it's just called Luke, afaik.

Hopefully it'll be up on the rte player, give it a day or two. If not, someone has some clips on youtube from it, and via those, you might just find a full version of it online somewhere. Well worth the time either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

How this thread can exist and there not be a mention of Raglan Road is beyond me, imo his (i know its not his per se but you know what i mean) greatest song and the video below his greatest performance of it

itac wrote: »
    Think it's from the mid to late nineties, it's just called Luke, afaik.

Hopefully it'll be up on the rte player, give it a day or two. If not, someone has some clips on youtube from it, and via those, you might just find a full version of it online somewhere. Well worth the time either way!
    I think it's this one?

Uploaded by the youtube user kellyoneill, if you've ever watched videos of Luke on there, chances are, she uploaded it.

Someone please correct me if that's not the right one, but I don't know of any other documentary

brummytom wrote: »
    I think it's this one?

Uploaded by the youtube user kellyoneill, if you've ever watched videos of Luke on there, chances are, she uploaded it.

Someone please correct me if that's not the right one, but I don't know of any other documentary

Yeah that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

What would be the best cd to buy?

finbarrk wrote: »
    What would be the best cd to buy?
    I'd say just 'The Best of Luke Kelly', it's got all the standards and a good number of less-commonly heard ones, and it's worth it just for the live (and... less than sober) version of Monto on the second cd.

'Luke Kelly, The Collection's quite good too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Ok, thanks Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Great performance:

(Keep 'em coming)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As BrummyTom says they crossed genres but also from my own experience, also crossed generations.
    I can remember near 25 years ago been in my grannies house with "The Town I loved so well" been given "holly" out over "the wireless" and that tape she had been played to its death while she sang it out. To me then it was chringy (sp) but I remember the life it brought to my granny. I can still hear her singing it if I listen hard enough!
    My own version for a while was "in a neat little town like a Breakfast" ;)

Then I also remember sitting in my Dad's car listening to either Jim Reeves, Luke Kelly or the Dubliners. Again its tape times and it was given "holly" on regular occasion!
    Once more an appearance on XFactor would not have been achieved! :)

Then in the last 15 years or so I have often wondered to myself what it was that regardless of whether are in your 80's, 40's or 30's that they achieve a common level.
    Then my best mate died and he asked for the Black Velvet Band to be played at his funeral, since then I listened Luke Kelly and the Dubliners, giving their CD's "Holly".

Scorn not his Simplicity each and every time puts a chill right up my neck, how many songs to that to us?

We will never see their like again, legend status they have achieved and legends they shall ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 louiseamd

Luke Kelly is a complete legend. I am 22 and I was unfortunate not to have grown up ehile he was in his prime. Pity that kids today are growing up in this fecked-up Justin Birber/Jedward/X-factor generation and have no appreciation for true legends lsuch as Luke. Whenever I'm down I listen to his songs and I feel elated again. RIP Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Had to bump this. Legend!

Advertisement