Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"You're All Wafflers" -- Bertie Ahern

Options
  • 10-09-2010 8:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34

Admin Edit:
    * There is nothing Official about this regarding Boards.ie -- DeV ...*

I have to get this off my chest, so here's my ramble, some you'll like some you'll have an alternative opinion but I hope a positive reaction to the concept is forthcoming rather than those who just want to knock anything and everything. Lets have some posive policies and suggestions

Can one be started from Boards.ie??? I put it to you guys to make it happen, start making a change for Ireland. There's too much hot air as everyone moans. Time for someone to do. Someone with a large database like you guys here.

Using social media/mobile marketing the young shall inherit their country and run it properly.

The challenge: To create a party capable of having an overall majority in the next Government.

The 2nd prize which we will not even consider-- enough elected to have a controlling power in running the country with either zig (FF) or zag (FG) or Dustin (Labour) in the next Government

Wanted:

A financial backer (Ben Dunne might stop all his waffling on radio and move his a-s- to make this happen) and for that a place on the advisory committee his ego would like that!

A committee of driven people as advisors who would like to change Ireland and give some of their time to this new party in every way (without this being a burden on them).

To mention a few, I would have Eddie O'Connor, Denis O'Brien, Michael O'Leary and the guy who knows all about the gaming industry in the World who has had a major play in bringing this industry along using Ireland as the world HQ of gaming. From politics Ivan Yeates, Shane Ross (who is the best at exposing the corruption going on) Can;t think of anone else I'd have from that quarter!!!

Top priorities
    A major shake up of the civil service
    The creation of a proper health service (modelled on Cuba).
    People back working using imaginative ideas/concepts

A salary cap of 100K on all in the civil service and elected representatives. All perks to be looked at.
    The abolishment of local Government, we can't afford two lots of elected representatives we have the TD's who tell us they work so hard in their constituencies ---so what are local ones doing?

(PS I don't buy the arguement you have to pay more to get the best, there are a lot of highly qualified people who will work for 100K)

If any sector decides to go on strike that they don't like whats happening then let them, they can re-apply for their old jobs under the new structure where they will have to produce results (no more reports and reports about reports) The consultants that have been doing these reports for the civil service can apply for these jobs because there will be no more consultants doing reports, we only pay one lot in future.

They are a few of the things I would do.

Now we need candidates.
    To qualify you must be between the ages of 18 and 40 -- no older need apply. If 40 and you get elected you can only serve one term then stand down ---chances are you may get eleveted onto the driving committee
    (Top corporates all around the world are run by people in the higher end of this age bracket)

This is to be driven by boards.ie ! as it represents young Ireland here
    <snip -DeV>

The committee of advisors will consider and interview potential candidates.

(HEHE they will be queueing around the block like X-Factor for this, it'll make a great TV show (all part of the media strategy) and people would become very familiar with their young candidates from this exposure as they watch this new party being formed.

The youth shall inherit their country from this country of old men

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm over 40 - whats with the discrimination? Stuff that.
    Great way to start out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm over 40 - whats with the discrimination? Stuff that.
    Great way to start out!
    Sure you cant be president until you are over 35. Age discrimination is already rife in politics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 solutionsolver

sorry, you are now too old!!!
    yep call it discrimination but we want Ireland run by younger people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Bit of a warning with that link.

Not exactly a neutral source is it? Although pics dont lie but I dont want to look at those type of pics right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If you're slightly under 40 but probably won't be when the next election is eventually given to us, what's the cut-off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

americans writing about cuba s healtcare system ., hardly an independant source .
    its not perfect then neither is theirs .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Using social media/mobile marketing the young shall inherit their country and run it properly.

Oh Noes! The kids are going to Twitter a coup!

Wanted:

A financial backer (Ben Dunne might stop all his waffling on radio and move his a-s- to make this happen) and for that a place on the advisory committee his ego would like that!

And they can't wait to open their Galway tent!

Top priorities,
    The creation of a proper health service (modelled on Cuba).
    People back working using imaginative ideas/concepts

The abolishment of local Government

They got kerrazzy policies!
    If any sector decides to go on strike that they don't like whats happening then let them, they can re-apply for their old jobs

And fascist tendencies!
    Now we need candidates.
    To qualify you must be between the ages of 18 and 40 -- no older need apply.

They don't want no past-it squares in their revolution!
    This is to be driven by boards.ie ! [/B]as it represents young Ireland here
    <snip>

They want someone else to do the work for them!
    (HEHE they will be queueing around the block like X-Factor for this, it'll make a great TV show (all part of the media strategy) and people would become very familiar with their young candidates from this exposure as they watch this new party being formed.

They got delusions of grandeur!

Hey! The kids are alright!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

The under 40 rule is ridiculous. You want the country run by a bunch of scruffy students who's only agenda is getting off their faces at the first opportunity? Now, I'm no fan of the current status quo but restricting the running of the country to under 40's just show's how serious you are. It's a shame because much of the rest of your proposal has merit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Sure you cant be president until you are over 35. Age discrimination is already rife in politics.

True. :(

We should be aiming to make that situation better - not adopting stuff to make it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

When the revolution comes, it will not be on Facebook.

(Or boards. Or any other social media. Stop writing on people's walls and start writing your TDs).

On a serious note, young people can barely be arsed to vote, so why should they get to run anything? Politicians would pay more attention to them if they actually behaved like interested citizens. And I don't agree with excluding over-40s at all, and I'm not over 40 (or close...yet...). Why should someone who has been paying taxes for 20 years be excluded, while someone who has ever even held a full time job get a vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

OP, baby steps.

Expend your energies encouraging the youth to get out and vote. Not enough of them do vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

sorry, you are now too old!!!
    yep call it discrimination but we want Ireland run by younger people

sounds like this fella would be perfect for your party of "younger people"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

do you actually think that there will be a revolution?
    There are not enough go-getters left in Ireland who could be arsed.

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Sure they would all be branded terrorists by the folks we have these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Sure they would all be branded terrorists by the folks we have these days.

LOL.

I love how everyone on boards slams the US for the Iraq war...and then Tony Blair shows up, people protest, and boards tut-tuts. Classic Irish response.

Yes, I know I am generalizing.

Fuzzy wrote: »
    No chance of a revolution. We have almost half a million people who lost their jobs in the last two years and they can't be arsed to march en masse to the Dail. When the pensioners got threatened with cuts they mobilised quick sharp and knocked it on the head. There'll be no revolution until people get off their arses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

The youth shall inherit their country from this country of old men

You want the money and advice of the over-40s - and insult their intellegence in the process? :rolleyes:
    A committee of driven people as advisors who would like to change Ireland and give some of their time to this new party in every way (without this being a burden on them).

To mention a few, I would have Eddie O'Connor, Denis O'Brien, Michael O'Leary…Ivan Yeates, Shane Ross …

Do you honestly think these people have time to waste on a bunch of amateurs? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The complete lack of awareness of what's going on in the world and total disinterest in politics that I've seen in so many under-30s over the past few years means that if it ever came to the point where they got to run the country then I'm on the first plane outta here.

While the Boards demographic is undoubtedly young, it is by no means exclusively so. It is also probably worth pointing out that Boards makes no claims that it represents any particular demographic.

Has this idea really got the approval of Boards.ie? The OP has only 6 posts (at the time of writing this post).

• Advertisement

Send your CV and what constituency you want to run in to the editor@boards.ie . Give reasons why you will be elected and how you believe you are going to succeed in the constituency you want to represent.

I'm surprised Boards.ie are running this campaign.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The Raven. wrote: »
    Has this idea really got the approval of Boards.ie? The OP has only 6 posts (at the time of writing this post).

If this is an official Boards campaign there's been no mention of it to the admins.

I'm checking with the guys in the office what the story is with that e-mail address.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

LOL.

I love how everyone on boards slams the US for the Iraq war...and then Tony Blair shows up, people protest, and boards tut-tuts. Classic Irish response.

Yes, I know I am generalizing.
    I love how people come on here and refer to Boards as if its a single biological entity rather then 300,000 individual agents, each with autonomy and opinions.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Zaph wrote: »
    If this is an official Boards campaign there's been no mention of it to the admins.

I'm checking with the guys in the office what the story is with that e-mail address.
    Absolutely nothing to do with us. We are apolitical in terms of the platform favouring one side or another.

Again, this has nothing to do with Boards LTD and its the first I've heard of it too. :rolleyes:

DeV.

We arent. We wouldnt.

DeV.

The Raven. wrote: »
    Nope.

I think I've been clear now :)

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Nope.

I think I've been clear now :)

DeV.

Thanks, DeV. I thought not. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

DeVore wrote: »
    We arent. We wouldnt.

DeV.
    Is this like running for the Presidency where the first step is denying it? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 solutionsolver

How people respond is amusing sometimes. Ok I believed the Cuban health service to be one of the best, I accept its a bit like ours from the link that followed but dropping the 'Cuban' aspect of it its top of the agenda with job creation and total reform of the civil service.

Its funny that some picked it up as a boards campaign heck the suggestion was boards have the database to make something happen thats all

Despite the current feeling towards politics and politicians and I am one of them that has no time for the current wasters, I believe Ireland's 18-35 year olds can be motivated. They need to be able to see candidates their own age (I'd say most would be in the 30 to 35 year old bracket and probably have university degrees i.e. intelligent beings not the sort depicted by several posters putting our youth into the bunch of morans bracket

Nobody has much positive to say which just about sums up this nation ---as if going walking the streets will achieve anything

Yes i do believe the people mentioned to give of their time and ability would come forward because they are interested in this country despite what you think. O'Leary - you might like like him but you have to admire him and what he has achieved ---and he pays his taxes here. O'Brien ok he doesn't pay his taxes LOL but he pays the salary of the Irish soccer manager because he wants to see Ireland do well on the world stage.

Nobody could engage in reasonable debate its sad really lets just all lie down and die (or go walk the streets chanting Govt out what BS!)

• Advertisement

Why did you suggest people send their cv's to us. You sure made it sound like we were "officially" behind it.

I haven't said that your base idea is wrong, in fact I do think we need a change but you know what, things are just so flecked that I'm not going to p*ss my remaining days trying to fix something that
    A. Doesn't want to be fixed.
    B. Is to big to be fixed by any one person
    C. Is so corrupt it's nigh unfixable.

If there was a political party I felt would actually change things then I would offer help but I see nothing realistically feasible as yet beyond a bunch of idiot swifies and some naive unthought out suggestions like this one.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

DeV.

Advertisement