Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smoke smell removal

Options
  • 10-09-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I just test drove a almost new car at a large dealership. It had been driven by a member of staff working for the dealership for a couple of months. Although I liked the car from the outside, when I sat in there was a smell of stale smoke. It really put me off. The salesman offered to have a treatment done on the car which he said would remove the smell and that I could come back and check out the car afterward to see what I thought.

Has anyone any experience with these treatments to remove smoke or other smells from cars? Do they work and if so, how? Is it likely to be a quick fix with the smell returning after the "shake and vac" effect has worn off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

rocuronium wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with these treatments to remove smoke or other smells from cars? Do they work and if so, how? Is it likely to be a quick fix with the smell returning after the "shake and vac" effect has worn off?
    Ozone and titanium dioxide are the most common solutions afaik. Used correctly, both are genuinely capable of causing/catalyzing chemical reactions that will permanently and completely eliminate smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

rocuronium wrote: »

I once got a hand-me-down company car that was the sales directors car. Stank of smoke as he drove long distances and was a very heavy smoker.

The treatment comprised of a combination driving around with the windows down and becoming immune to the smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

The treatment comprised of a combination driving around with the windows down and becoming immune to the smell.
    If you had been more imaginative you could have got a really big hairy dog that liked to roll in things, or taken up a job delivering curries in the evening - no more smoke smells then! (yes mods, silly post, but it looks like daveharnett had this one all wrapped up in first reply...:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rocuronium

cheers daveharnett - sounds like there might be something to what the salesman was saying afterall. will give the car another look when the treatment is finished.

damn my acute sense of smell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Yeah these treatments do work! My ol lady bought a car from a garage and it stank of smoke but when she went to pick it up you would have never known it was a smokers car and its still perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Duncan31

you would want to see some cars as traded in versus how they go out. General filth, dog hairs & smell, smoke, chewing gum, sour milk, all are removed & cars will look and smell like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Where does one buy these miracle workers.. Would it remove the smell of death? I think a rodent got into and died in my mothers car, it's pretty bad for past 2 weeks...

Advertisement