Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Station to Greystones station

Options
  • 03-09-2010 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭

by foot

I hear there is a walking trail the whole length of the beach, anyone done it recently or know anywhere to find a bit of info on the route, I'd be interested in doing it :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

by foot

I hear there is a walking trail the whole length of the beach, anyone done it recently or know anywhere to find a bit of info on the route, I'd be interested in doing it :)

I overheard a conversation a few months ago that a lot of it is now impassable

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Johnnymcg wrote: »

Feck :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Feck :mad:

I don't know - not definite at all - just something I overheard - I am pretty sure you can walk beside the train tracks for a good bit of it

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I can't think why, I'm wondering are you thinking Greystones to Bray?

I regularly travel parts of Wicklow to Kilcoole and I doubt there is an issue Kilcoole to Greystones.

Its just a beach the whole way though the walking is mainly off the stones so its quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah at the very least you can walk on the beach the whole way (theres a few places where the coastal defences have covered the beach) but there's also a path beside the railway line for much of the route, just watch out for trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

There is a walkway from Greystones to Wicklow along the seafront, Greystones to Kilcoole is a bit of a clamber, I usually go to the driving range in Greystones and through their carpark up onto the railway track, there is a fairly decent pathway all the way to Kilcoole then you are on a grass track until you get to the breaches bridge, you have to walk on the railway over the bridge, (check the train times) then another grass walkway all the way to Wicklow, takes a good hour and a quarter from Greystones to Wicklow. A lot of it can be on the beach but tough going with the shingle. A lovely walk if the day is right, but a bit of trek there and back, :D

Just an afterthought! The walk into Wicklow ends near the recycling depot and not the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

takes a good hour and a quarter from Greystones to Wicklow.
    Maybe if you're Robert Heffernan ;) but for the rest of us the 16km/10miles would take take double that time...or longer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Greystones is at the 17 3/4 mile point and Wicklow is at the 28 mile point, overall about 3.5 hrs walk. Its a nice walk, but choose the day carefully as the last thing you want is an onshore wind in your face the whole way down. Its also possible to cycle most of it bar some of the breaches (railway bridge) to newcastle stretch.

Advertisement