Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs for gigging?

Options
  • 01-09-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi guys,

as anyone have a list of pubs in Dublin/Limerick/Galway/Cork/Kilkenny etc. that have live rock gigs?

Will be nice to compile one all together to be used by band looking for gigs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greensocks13

great idea. typical galway venues for rock gigs are: The rosin dubh, the cellar, sally longs, bar 903

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

The main three in Kilkenny:

- The Pumphouse on Parliament St have indie & rock bands regularly on Friday & Saturday nights.

- Cleere's on Parliament St have hosted many legendary bands/gigs over the years in their tiny (but great) back room theatre and continue to have bands/artists of all genres.

- Ryan's on Friary St. Usually have covers bands but rootsy/bluesy style originals too. Original rock/indie bands sometimes in the back room, especially at The Music Club (open mic) every 2nd Wednesday.

A few others worth a mention: Billy Byrne's (occasional gigs, mostly blues, jazz, electro, DJs), The Left Bank (occasional jazz, sometimes swing, blues etc), Kyteler's Inn (mid sized venue for more established bands), and of course the wonderful Set Theatre but that would be for more established artists (Cathy Davy, Villagers, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Mick Flannery and plenty more have played there in the past year).

PM me if you want contact names/numbers for any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 FlyingCircus

Wow...thanks guys

Hi bootsy I will try to find them myself if not I sent you a PM.

anyone from Dublin or Cork? Maybe also Belfast and the north?

Mods if can compile a good up to date list can we put it as a sticky?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Great idea!

Galway venues include the following

Kellys Upstairs - general mix of everything. Lots of original bands

The Quays- 25+ crowd, lots of cover bands

O'Connells - gigs in beer garden. could be finishing up for winter soon

The Cellar - good for open mics, punk bands etc downstairs, gigs upstairs too.

Sally Longs -,generally a metal crowd, lots of biker types

Roisin Dubh - gets a lot of touring bands. Smaller venue upstairs
    Bar 903 - don't know much about that one. More like a pre-club kind of place.

The Crane - a fantastic venue, focusses on the trad end of things but they're open to ideas!

Bar 8 on the Docks - good for one or two piece bands on weekends, open to bands in the week

If I think of more I'll add them

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

Great idea lads-maybe this thread can be continued or extended to include more locations/towns? Drogheda- 'Mcphails' music most nights of the week-covers. 'Mchughs' music etc weekends and its a mix between originals and covers(it is a fairly big venue-couple of hundred est) The Cellar/The Laurance Inn (covers mainly,at the weekends) and The Purple Room/The Star Bar (covers and originals at weekends)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Bootsy. wrote: »
    The main three in Kilkenny:

- The Pumphouse on Parliament St have indie & rock bands regularly on Friday & Saturday nights.

- Cleere's on Parliament St have hosted many legendary bands/gigs over the years in their tiny (but great) back room theatre and continue to have bands/artists of all genres.

- Ryan's on Friary St. Usually have covers bands but rootsy/bluesy style originals too. Original rock/indie bands sometimes in the back room, especially at The Music Club (open mic) every 2nd Wednesday.

A few others worth a mention: Billy Byrne's (occasional gigs, mostly blues, jazz, electro, DJs), The Left Bank (occasional jazz, sometimes swing, blues etc), Kyteler's Inn (mid sized venue for more established bands), and of course the wonderful Set Theatre but that would be for more established artists (Cathy Davy, Villagers, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Mick Flannery and plenty more have played there in the past year).

PM me if you want contact names/numbers for any of the above.
    glad to see you havent mentioned a certain pub on the parade side of the bridge. what a proper D1kHead in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Waterford : the Kazbar
    Oskars
    Revolution
    Ned Kellys
    Masons

Enniscorthy : Shenanigans

Clonmel : Gleesons

Plenty of venues in Wexford town aswell.

thr above are just a few venues i can think of off the top of my head. if i think of any more ill post them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Rockclassic

great idea...

Kildare Town - The Phoenix Venue - metal/rock, covers and originals, totally sound girls running this venue, they have their own backline and sound engineer.

Balbriggan - O'Sheas - mix of mainstream cover bands

De Bruins - as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

anything for Dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Some Cork venues worth checking out

Bantry- Ma Murphys
    Skibbereen - The Eldon
    Clonakilty - De Barras
    Kinsale - The Folkhouse
    Middleton - Wallis's
    Cork City - Crane Lane