Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian friendly restaurants in Dublin for special occasion

Options
  • 29-08-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

I am constantly making threads on here - oh well, you guys have the answers!

I am looking into booking a restaurant for my graduation this winter. My friend loves Kites chinese restaurant and she's keen on there but I was looking at some sample menus and it seemed very heavy on the meat, I saw a couple of soups and springs rolls, but I want a nice veggie feast because it'll be a special occasion!

Therefore, I ask of you boardsies, can you recommend any restaurants in the south side area, possibly close to donnybrook that would please the meat eaters (and only vegetarian) in the group. Somewhere not too expensive, but just right for a once off family occasion. I like asian food, my dad doesn't like spicy foods, but I'm looking for maybe something more adventurous than pasta?

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

Most of my favourite veggie-friendly places in Dublin aren't really 'celebration' sort of restaurants - more like cafés. But nice places I've eaten in several times & would recommend in Dublin 4 include:

Maia
    Canal Bank Cafe
    Canalettos
    Roly's Bistro
    The Schoolhouse restaurant

None of them do more than 1 or 2 veggie mains (as is the case with most non-veggie places of course), but whenever I've been to any of them, they have tended to do something a bit more exciting than pasta with tomato sauce.

They're also all well suited to a big occasion as they all lean more towards 'fancy restaurant' than 'café'.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Most of my favourite veggie-friendly places in Dublin aren't really 'celebration' sort of restaurants - more like cafés. But nice places I've eaten in several times & would recommend in Dublin 4 include:

Maia
    Canal Bank Cafe
    Canalettos
    Roly's Bistro
    The Schoolhouse restaurant

None of them do more than 1 or 2 veggie mains (as is the case with most non-veggie places of course), but whenever I've been to any of them, they have tended to do something a bit more exciting than pasta with tomato sauce.

They're also all well suited to a big occasion as they all lean more towards 'fancy restaurant' than 'café'.

Hope that helps.

I've always been intrigued by the Schoolhouse Restaurant! I was in Roly's Café last weekend and found a bit of a nail in my soup, which the chef claimed was a piece of the coriander... being a vegetarian these past six years I think I know my coriander by now.. Then my pain au chocolat had a bit of chocolate on the edges and that was it.

Going to look these up and suggest them to my friend, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Plastic Scouser

I was in Roly's Café last weekend and found a bit of a nail in my soup, which the chef claimed was a piece of the coriander

Euugghhh! I won't be going there again then! lol! :)

Euugghhh! I won't be going there again then! lol! :)

I don't want to sound like i'm slandering the place, that was just my experience, my aunt goes there regularly and has never had that problem. Just my luck! Two days before, in Glasgow, I ordered a vegetarian three bean chili and found a piece of chicken in it. Bad food week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I've never been myself but many veggies like Saba http://www.sabadublin.com/food.jsp?category=lunch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Saba is really nice, it has a nice atmosphere too, something which I find lacking in so many places.

If you're into Asian cuisine, I would highly recommend Chameleon in Temple Bar, it is absolutely delicious! The atmosphere is also great there.

L'Ecrivan has a vegetarian menu, but is pricey (I've never been so I've no idea what it's like).

Menupages is always a good starting point for locating somewhere new as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Pearl Brasserie also has a good vegetarian selection (been a while since I was there but they used to have a separate veggie menu) and is a really nice restaurant in general.

Has Darwin's moved or closed down? They had/have a separate veggie menu too.

Pearl Brasserie also has a good vegetarian selection (been a while since I was there but they used to have a separate veggie menu) and is a really nice restaurant in general.

thumbs down

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ it is!

I went there a while ago and there were loads of veggie things. The waiting staff were very friendly when I went through what was vegan on the menu and they changed some things round on the menu for me.

Food was lovely and we sat upstairs on cushions at low tables. I had a really lovely evening there.

• Advertisement

Absurdum wrote: »
    Saba is really nice, it has a nice atmosphere too, something which I find lacking in so many places.

If you're into Asian cuisine, I would highly recommend Chameleon in Temple Bar, it is absolutely delicious! The atmosphere is also great there.

L'Ecrivan has a vegetarian menu, but is pricey (I've never been so I've no idea what it's like).

Wow, Chameleon looks plush!! I really like the look of this place. How are the for a the less adventurous steak lovers? My dad loves his steak! :confused:

Saba looks like a wonderful option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Absurdum wrote: »

Never had a good experience with menupages.ie; apparently the reviews are censored with positives only posted as the website is supported directly by the restaurants. Try www.tripadvisor.ie or .com instead

Never had a good experience with menupages.ie; apparently the reviews are censored with positives only posted as the website is supported directly by the restaurants. Try www.tripadvisor.ie or .com instead

true, it's handy for checking menus and getting contact details and locations though

Advertisement