Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Louis CK

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭ pappyodaniel


    Is anyone else a fan of Louis CK? I have to admit I've only heard of him lately but he blows me away, my kind of humour.


«1

Comments



  • He's the best in the world right now. Get yourself a copy of his "Shameless" and "Chewed Up" DVD's toot sweet.

    He's also got a show in the US called "Louie", you should track it down online.




  • SlimJ wrote: »
    He's the best in the world right now. Get yourself a copy of his "Shameless" and "Chewed Up" DVD's toot sweet.

    He's also got a show in the US called "Louie", you should track it down online.

    Agreed, he's the first comedian I've heard in a long while that actually makes me LOL :rolleyes:

    Ya, I've gotten everything by him, Louie's great, there's another show of his that ran for one series on HBO before it got cancelled, a sitcom called LUCKY LOUIE, it's very good! :D




  • SlimJ wrote: »
    He's the best in the world right now. Get yourself a copy of his "Shameless" and "Chewed Up" DVD's toot sweet.

    He's also got a show in the US called "Louie", you should track it down online.

    Seconded.




  • SlimJ wrote: »
    He's the best in the world right now. Get yourself a copy of his "Shameless" and "Chewed Up" DVD's toot sweet.

    He's also got a show in the US called "Louie", you should track it down online.
    Agree 100%. Hes the best doing stand up. Probably my favourite comedian of all time at this stage.




  • Love him as well, Hilarious should be..well, hilarious.


  • Advertisement


  • :D





  • Woke/Outrage culture has damaged comedy.

    There is no getting away from it.

    The question is when will the damage stop?




  • I don't really see what is stopping Louis ck from making a comeback. What he did was minor in comparison to all that metoo stuff. He abused his position of power but he asked for permission and he got it granted. How long does this imaginary conviction last.




  • Love his brand of stand up. Also watched his series, well worth a watch too.




  • I don't really see what is stopping Louis ck from making a comeback. What he did was minor in comparison to all that metoo stuff. He abused his position of power but he asked for permission and he got it granted. How long does this imaginary conviction last.

    What the actual fcuk. Yeah louis is a great comedian, I really enjoy his comedy! He is also a total sexual predator. Get with it man, you can't whip your dick out and start tugging just because you asked AS YOU WERE PULLING YOUR DICK OUT.


  • Advertisement


  • What the actual fcuk. Yeah louis is a great comedian, I really enjoy his comedy! He is also a total sexual predator. Get with it man, you can't whip your dick out and start tugging just because you asked AS YOU WERE PULLING YOUR DICK OUT.

    Even if it happened as you described, which I wasn't under that impression, that makes him a pervert rather than a sexual predator. He's not even close to level of Weinstein. Same question again regardless, how long does this imaginary conviction last for?




  • There's about 40 min of new material on youtube, recorded from a recent show. He's in the news for it because he takes the piss out of those school shooting survivors who are publicising themselves, and he's being criticised for portraying himself as the victim in the metoo stuff. (This is a bit of a stretch imo.)

    I thought it was pretty funny. Some of the criticism is a bit silly. If you don't want to listen to him because you're disgusted by his behaviour then fair enough. Outrage because he uses about being reviled and losing money (38 million apparently) as material for comedy is silly though.

    Funniest stuff I've heard him do. Different tone now - more aggressive.








  • Even if it happened as you described, which I wasn't under that impression, that makes him a pervert rather than a sexual predator. He's not even close to level of Weinstein. Same question again regardless, how long does this imaginary conviction last for?

    Em nope, he is a predator, he has clocked up quite a list over the years. Why does he have to be "close to the level of weinstein"? That really makes zero sense tbh, he's an asshole, he abused his position of power over many women. There's really no defending it unless you think he has done nothing wrong and in that case, I would advise you go get your head checked.
    Also his 2017 stand up special was nowhere near as good as his other stuff, he's Not gonna be making a comeback imo :)




  • Em nope, he is a predator, he has clocked up quite a list over the years. Why does he have to be "close to the level of weinstein"? That really makes zero sense tbh, he's an asshole, he abused his position of power over many women. There's really no defending it unless you think he has done nothing wrong and in that case, I would advise you go get your head checked.
    Also his 2017 stand up special was nowhere near as good as his other stuff, he's Not gonna be making a comeback imo :)

    Depends really. People are extremely hypocritical when it comes to this stuff. Mike Tyson raped someone - never admitted to it and never apologised - but appears on Ellen, who doesn't question him about it.

    David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, Iggy Pop etc were paedophiles (look up Sable Starr and Lori Maddox) but people think they are Gods.

    Lots of fingers in ears "lalalala" when it suits people.




  • The Nal wrote: »
    Depends really. People are extremely hypocritical when it comes to this stuff. Mike Tyson raped someone - never admitted to it and never apologised - but appears on Ellen, who doesn't question him about it.

    David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, Iggy Pop etc were paedophiles (look up Sable Starr and Lori Maddox) but people think they are Gods.

    Lots of fingers in ears "lalalala" when it suits people.

    I don't think today's generation are going to forget the onslaught of celeb deviants somehow. It's a whole big thing, it's great really, these people shouldn't get away with it!
    Gonna look that up now, didn't know about bowie!




  • The Nal wrote: »
    Depends really. People are extremely hypocritical when it comes to this stuff. Mike Tyson raped someone - never admitted to it and never apologised - but appears on Ellen, who doesn't question him about it.

    David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, Iggy Pop etc were paedophiles (look up Sable Starr and Lori Maddox) but people think they are Gods.

    Lots of fingers in ears "lalalala" when it suits people.
    I looked them up. Seems pretty clear that Page and Pop slept with underage girls. Seems unlikely Bowie did, and I don't see much evidence that Jagger did. Though I think your point stands pretty well even so.

    Not that closely related, but a lot of Page's material was clealry plagiarised.




  • I don't think today's generation are going to forget the onslaught of celeb deviants somehow. It's a whole big thing, it's great really, these people shouldn't get away with it!
    Gonna look that up now, didn't know about bowie!

    A load of those 60s and 70s rock stars would be in jail and their careers finished if it were today.
    I looked them up. Seems pretty clear that Page and Pop slept with underage girls. Seems unlikely Bowie did, and I don't see much evidence that Jagger did.

    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

    https://jezebel.com/what-should-we-say-about-david-bowie-and-lori-maddox-1754533894

    https://mic.com/articles/132399/the-complicated-sexual-history-of-david-bowie#.rA44Q72pC

    https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/david-bowie-and-the-15-year-old-girls-7962946

    Though I think your point stands pretty well even so.
    Not that closely related, but a lot of Page's material was clealry plagiarised.

    As was the material he nicked. Everyone nicks it.

    Anyway Louis CK has a few **** in front of adults and hes the devil. Bowie and Jimmy Page have sex with kids they're Gods.

    Bill Wyman goes full paedo in public yet the Stones tour a year later and 6 million people turn out to see them.

    Its an odd one.




  • Jesus.... wtf! Bowie apparently took one of their virginities at aged 15. Gross. Ugh.


  • Advertisement


  • The Nal wrote: »
    A load of those 60s and 70s rock stars would be in jail and their careers finished if it were today.



    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

    https://jezebel.com/what-should-we-say-about-david-bowie-and-lori-maddox-1754533894

    https://mic.com/articles/132399/the-complicated-sexual-history-of-david-bowie#.rA44Q72pC

    https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/david-bowie-and-the-15-year-old-girls-7962946

    Though I think your point stands pretty well even so.



    As was the material he nicked. Everyone nicks it.

    Anyway Louis CK has a few **** in front of adults and hes the devil. Bowie and Jimmy Page have sex with kids they're Gods.

    Bill Wyman goes full paedo in public yet the Stones tour a year later and 6 million people turn out to see them.

    Its an odd one.
    Yeah I meant a lot of Page's most famous riffs were clearly plagiarised, as in he plagiarised other people.




  • There's about 40 min of new material on youtube, recorded from a recent show. He's in the news for it because he takes the piss out of those school shooting survivors who are publicising themselves, and he's being criticised for portraying himself as the victim in the metoo stuff. (This is a bit of a stretch imo.)

    I thought it was pretty funny. Some of the criticism is a bit silly. If you don't want to listen to him because you're disgusted by his behaviour then fair enough. Outrage because he uses about being reviled and losing money (38 million apparently) as material for comedy is silly though.

    Funniest stuff I've heard him do. Different tone now - more aggressive.
    I thought it was poor, I know he's only working the material out so it's all a work in progress and we're not supposed to hear it so I won't be too harsh about it but he's capable of much much better than that.




  • The Nal wrote: »
    A load of those 60s and 70s rock stars would be in jail and their careers finished if it were today.



    https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

    https://jezebel.com/what-should-we-say-about-david-bowie-and-lori-maddox-1754533894

    https://mic.com/articles/132399/the-complicated-sexual-history-of-david-bowie#.rA44Q72pC

    https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/music/david-bowie-and-the-15-year-old-girls-7962946

    Though I think your point stands pretty well even so.



    As was the material he nicked. Everyone nicks it.

    Anyway Louis CK has a few **** in front of adults and hes the devil. Bowie and Jimmy Page have sex with kids they're Gods.

    Bill Wyman goes full paedo in public yet the Stones tour a year later and 6 million people turn out to see them.

    Its an odd one.

    The Bill Wyman one is bonkers. Claimed he was open about it and asked the police etc if they wanted to talk to him and they said no.

    Baffling stuff.

    It's an interesting point, it's odd how severe cases in the past are being overlooked and then you see scenarios of people such as Aziz Ansari getting dragged into the #metoo spotlight.




  • Em nope, he is a predator, he has clocked up quite a list over the years. Why does he have to be "close to the level of weinstein"? That really makes zero sense tbh, he's an asshole, he abused his position of power over many women. There's really no defending it unless you think he has done nothing wrong and in that case, I would advise you go get your head checked.
    Also his 2017 stand up special was nowhere near as good as his other stuff, he's Not gonna be making a comeback imo :)

    I think you're missing my point. I'm not claiming he didn't do anything wrong. He did. Perhaps I need to read into it more because you seem to think he did something a lot worse than what I believe.

    What he did in comparison to others is important because they seem to be treated the same way at the moment. Neither are allowed work again. If these cases were brought to the court of law rather than the twitter mob, a sentence would be handed down based on their crimes. What I'm asking is how long is Louis CK's imaginary sentence? Should it be the same as Weinstein's? The answer is obviously no.

    I just read this and its certainly grim reading. My point still stands though.

    If I expose myself to a bunch of people, what sentence will I get? When will I get my life back? Should I get my life back?




  • Neither are allowed work again.
    Louis is allowed to work, he is working, he is back doing standup again.




  • And just on this latest controversy about the schoolkids routine. Am I the only one who doesn't think it was very offensive? I thought it was unfunny but most of that set was. Punching down has always been a part of his act even if he eased up a bit on it in recent years as he got more successful.




  • cliggg wrote: »
    And just on this latest controversy about the schoolkids routine. Am I the only one who doesn't think it was very offensive? I thought it was unfunny but most of that set was. Punching down has always been a part of his act even if he eased up a bit on it in recent years as he got more successful.

    Its offensive if you're a joyless stain who lives through social media and whos life is mainly text and emojis, good or bad, right or wrong.

    Hes always joked about college kids and people of that age being "nyeeeeehh". 20 year old giving out about having shítty jobs etc. Nothing new there. He used the words "retard" and "fagg0t" too which the sanctimonious up-their-own-hole self-righteous crowd seem to have missed.

    Couple of very funny bits in there. Bit I laughed at most was the Jewish doctor/Ice cream bit.




  • I think you're missing my point. I'm not claiming he didn't do anything wrong. He did. Perhaps I need to read into it more because you seem to think he did something a lot worse than what I believe.

    What he did in comparison to others is important because they seem to be treated the same way at the moment. Neither are allowed work again. If these cases were brought to the court of law rather than the twitter mob, a sentence would be handed down based on their crimes. What I'm asking is how long is Louis CK's imaginary sentence? Should it be the same as Weinstein's? The answer is obviously no.

    I just read this and its certainly grim reading. My point still stands though.

    If I expose myself to a bunch of people, what sentence will I get? When will I get my life back? Should I get my life back?

    The big difference in you and Louis is that no one knows what you've done and your job is not in the entertainment business. His success depends on his popularity and people are allowed to be disgusted by him and not want to watch him anymore. You can't demand people like him just because you don't care what he did.




  • The big difference in you and Louis is that no one knows what you've done and your job is not in the entertainment business. His success depends on his popularity and people are allowed to be disgusted by him and not want to watch him anymore. You can't demand people like him just because you don't care what he did.

    And people are perfectly within their rights to like and pay to see him.

    No one can demand that he disappear and rob him of his ability to earn a living.

    Who gets to decide anything beyond that? The courts...the bedrock of our civilisation....these soviet style SJWs are a scourge.

    This isn't even about Louis CK anymore...its about putting a stop to the brainless morons who have OD'd on outrage and spent too much time on twitter! And believe themselves to be the modern day version of the Soldiers of Christ!


  • Advertisement


  • The big difference in you and Louis is that no one knows what you've done and your job is not in the entertainment business. His success depends on his popularity and people are allowed to be disgusted by him and not want to watch him anymore. You can't demand people like him just because you don't care what he did.

    Putting words in my mouth. I never said I didn't care about what he did. I never demanded people like him. People are allowed to be disgusted by him. Those that are still disgusted by him can continue to avoid him whilst those that perhaps think he's served his time can go see him. It's the people that are outraged the most that seem to be dictating the terms.

    My point is that what he did shouldn't be a life sentence.


Advertisement