Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsigned Bands in Dublin

Options
  • 21-08-2010 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I would like to get everyone's opinion on the Dublin music scene. Personally i think its very stagnant and full of copy cat bands who prefer style over substance and originality..

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Are you looking for answers from other musicians or just from people in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

...i think it's very stagnant and full of copy cat bands who prefer style over substance and originality.

This is a phrase which has been used throughout the decades.

Every music scene has always had some degree of this. It's not going to change either. There will always be copy cat bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I would like to get everyone's opinion on the Dublin music scene. Personally i think its very stagnant and full of copy cat bands who prefer style over substance and originality..

Opinions?

I find most bands starting out will have alot of covers in their set list but as time goes no their originality grows and this in turn lets them become more original and then new bands coming out may see the band at a later stage in their successfull carreer and think "if we sound like them we will make it in the music industry".

But i don't think that its completely full of copycats.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

The problem most bands have is that they don't have even one strong creative talent, much less two or three... They're passionate about music, but don't necessarily have a vision... That leads to lots of same-y songs and mediocre idol worship.

IMO IMO.

And WD is right; same as it ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 OkComputerGirl

I find most bands starting out will have alot of covers in their set list but as time goes no their originality grows and this in turn lets them become more original and then new bands coming out may see the band at a later stage in their successfull carreer and think "if we sound like them we will make it in the music industry".

But i don't think that its completely full of copycats.

IMO the majority of the bands i have seen in dublin (and thats hundreds) are together years and still are **** and going nowhere. Why is there so much talent in one city and very few quality bands.. Bands like The Brothers Movement are totally going on style, they sound like theyre a cover band to BRMC, The velvet underground etc. Fight like apes brought something new to the table. What bands (not a few months old) are different and catch your attention. Id love to find a band that is really promising. But over the past 2 years I really am having trouble in seeing anything worth going to see again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

IMO the majority of the bands i have seen in dublin (and thats hundreds) are together years and still are **** and going nowhere. Why is there so much talent in one city and very few quality bands.. Bands like The Brothers Movement are totally going on style, they sound like theyre a cover band to BRMC, The velvet underground etc. Fight like apes brought something new to the table. What bands (not a few months old) are different and catch your attention. Id love to find a band that is really promising. But over the past 2 years I really am having trouble in seeing anything worth going to see again.

Firstly, IMO a lot of people like to hear covers of the music they like. These cover bands are merely providing, where there is a demand. Your last sentance answers the question as to why there are so many copy cat bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Tbh the problem i have with the Dublin music scene, is its full of either Metallica clones, or shi*ty indie band clones, and very very few orginal and indeed interesting bands, basically there's a lot of mediocrity imho..

Tbh the problem i have with the Dublin music scene, is its full of either Metallica clones, or shi*ty indie band clones, and very very few orginal and indeed interesting bands, basically there's a lot of mediocrity imho..

Can you name a year when this wasn't the case? It just sounds like people are discovering this fact for the first time and are acting surprised or dissapointed by it, like there was some kind of "good old days" where the ratio of great bands to bad ones was better. It really wasn't... there have always been lousy bands, maybe it's just a bit more noticeable now because more people are playing music and have the means to get it heard.

Can you name a year when this wasn't the case? It just sounds like people are discovering this fact for the first time and are acting surprised or dissapointed by it, like there was some kind of "good old days" where the ratio of great bands to bad ones was better. It really wasn't... there have always been lousy bands, maybe it's just a bit more noticeable now because more people are playing music and have the means to get it heard.

Well 10 years ago it was mediocre Pop/Punk bands and Singer/Songwriters.. Now its mediocre Metal and Indie bands, maybe its just that the majority of Dublin musicians are sheep and jump on whatever trend is most popular at the time, in the hope of "getting signed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭r0nanf

You should check out The Barley Mob, great folk-reggae sound and uniquely Irish lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rxcz0Aqs7Y

• Advertisement

Musicians will mimic their surroundings in some way usually. For instance, no one is going to try and start a polka/bosa nova band because there just isn't a noticeable presence of such bands.

I don't think it's a phenomenon exclusive to just Dublin.

Musicians will mimic their surroundings in some way usually. For instance, no one is going to try and start a polka/bosa nova band because there just isn't a noticeable presence of such bands.

I don't think it's a phenomenon exclusive to just Dublin.

Well look at any musical explosion, whether its Punk, Grunge, Thrash Metal or whatever..All those bands developed from a scene that exploded in a certain area, but that will never happen in Dublin because there's nobody willing to be orginal..

I wouldn't say it's that they're not willing (ask any band if they think they're original and they'll say "sure we are") but that they haven't figured out how to innovate, and are still stuck in the immitate phase. It's not really a skill you can teach either. 'tis what separates the good bands from the not so good ones.

Yes i agree with ya :)

Rigsby wrote: »
    Firstly, IMO a lot of people like to hear covers of the music they like. These cover bands are merely providing, where there is a demand. Your last sentance answers the question as to why there are so many copy cat bands.

why are you bringing cover bands into this discussion?
    I never mentioned cover bands... i said that there is no originality and that bands SOUND like cover bands.. I go to gigs like 3 times a week but i think theres a lot of wasted talent in dublin. I have friends in cork and galway and theres loads of really interesting and cool bands there. I have been in a few pretty well known bands in dublin and its all about clicks(circles of friends) and image. Id like to find a band that arent stuck up there own arse and a band who is in it for the music and not for any other reason. Maybe i should forget about dublin and look else where.

I never mentioned cover bands... i said that there is no originality and that bands SOUND like cover bands.. I go to gigs like 3 times a week but i think theres a lot of wasted talent in dublin. I have friends in cork and galway and theres loads of really interesting and cool bands there. I have been in a few pretty well known bands in dublin and its all about clicks(circles of friends) and image. Id like to find a band that arent stuck up there own arse and a band who is in it for the music and not for any other reason. Maybe i should forget about dublin and look else where.

a few things:

• I played in the NY/Boston scene for years (and toured the US and lived in London for years) - most bands everywhere were pretty crap and would fit your description. The reason a lot of scenes seem better is that the bands that make it out of those scenes and come to your attention are the best of the crop. Go to a normal venue in NYC or Boston or LA on a Tues night and you'll see the same lame crap you see here.

• The media here is largly responsible for the prevalence of the poopiest bands. If the media promoted a wider variety of sounds we'd have a different impression of the scene.

• Clique, not click.

IMO IMO IMO IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭stevood

MilanPan!c wrote: »

• The media here is largly responsible for the prevalence of the poopiest bands. If the media promoted a wider variety of sounds we'd have a different impression of the scene.

I agree with this. I find for ourselves we can put on a gig and attract a large 150-250 on a really big pushed gig and the feedback will be excellent. However we're not the mainstream indie-esque genre but more rock and are over looked by radio and media alike.

One of the finest bands Glyder, who are big throughout Europe are relatively unknown here. They are excellent but rock like lizzie and thats not the "in thing" at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Personally i think its very stagnant and full of copy cat bands

I assumed by "copy cat" bands that you meant cover bands... as in a band "copying" (i.e. "covering", therefore not original ) a song. :confused:

stevood wrote: »
    I agree with this. I find for ourselves we can put on a gig and attract a large 150-250 on a really big pushed gig and the feedback will be excellent. However we're not the mainstream indie-esque genre but more rock and are over looked by radio and media alike.

One of the finest bands Glyder, who are big throughout Europe are relatively unknown here. They are excellent but rock like lizzie and thats not the "in thing" at the moment.

Ireland's a funny place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

twas a sad day when classic rock became a no go area :(:(

id have given me left ball to be in deep purple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Rigsby wrote: »
    I assumed by "copy cat" bands that you meant cover bands... as in a band "copying" (i.e. "covering", therefore not original ) a song. :confused:

No they mean unoriginal bands when they say "copy cat". As in they are copying the style and sound of a band without actually covering their songs.

Don't take it personally because there's lots of bands who can pull 150-250 punters too, and they are overlooked. You should be aware that the media and radio are only in business to profit from what's already popular, not cater to every single taste there is. It's like buying a newspaper expecting to get an objective analysis of news; when really you're going to be reading something that is designed to provoke a reaction from certain people, get them talking about it. Newspapers are guilty of spoon-feeding what their readers want to read about. For a while there was one English newspaper that when it mentioned anything to do with asylum seekers, it was always a negative story, because their dominant readership believed all asylum seekers were bucking the system.

Ireland will never shift its focus to “alternative” music because the current pop market is just too profitable. Radio is dead, musically. Talk radio is the only think keeping it alive, which means any music that is played is the oldies people know and love, or it's top 40 hits. But as a means for checking out new bands, it's just much easier to find online radio stations which cater to more niche tastes. I really wouldn't worry about your band not getting airplay in this country; chances are you would reach more listeners at one of your gigs or by spending the evening with your computer.

Maybe because it's a bit dated too, no? I find the lizzy worship a bit much personally, it's 2010 - to still be riffing off what lizzy were doing best over 30 years ago...

But anyways, haven't every rock band, even U2, had to leave Ireland and establish a fan base elsewhere before the people at home really take notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Ireland is a town of 4 million people. It's on the outer fringes of europe. We are influenced in almost everyway by television from the US (diaspora) and England (colonialisation, diaspora). Irealnd historically does not have it's own identity so to speak. That is the product of our past, having being a colony). If we did not have these influences our pop/rock scene would be more akin to Scandinavia or Eastern Europe. To start with English would not be our first language!

With every scene that you are a part of you will see the dross and the detritus that litters it. You travel to and live in any major city the majority of bands on that scene are crap. The cream rises to the top in every scene. Dublin I think has one of the most vibrant music scenes with loads of novel interesting bands producing highly original music. What I find sad is the jerking off about one or two bands whilst ignoring the two dozen others who are as worthy of comment.

but bear in mind Dublin is a tiny, tiny pond. It only takes one or two voices to control the scene. This is inclined to happena nd bands are inclined to fall in behind what they may perceive is the groundswell in the hope that they are seen to be doing it better than every other band.

A friend of mine had a band on the go for several years and they struggled to get any recongition (despite the band having possibly two of the best guitarists in Dublin) purely because they did not fit the asthetic of what was considered cool by the key players. It's unfortunate but it's life and it's the reality of the music business. Would a metal band in Manchester have gotten any kudos circa 1994?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭odonopenmic

I'm amazed! IMO Dublin has never been healthier or had the diversity of bands and venues there are now. I don't mean to be rude here but OP, if you are going to gigs three times a week and can't find a gig, where are on earth are you going or what exactly are you hoping to find? Personally, I can't count the number of good bands around at the moment and I think it's terrible if others can't see that either. Given that most bands play other cities too, I don't really see that there's a significant difference between the music scenes within Ireland.

Have to say as well, I'm also surprised OP, that you would bemoan bands that put style over substance and nearly in the same sentence praise Fight Like Apes??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

It is definitely down to population size, there are only 4 million on this island, there is around the same number in Manchester alone, and there are several more cities that size in the uk..

Even if you do build a huge fanbase in this country it will only get you so far, and every band has to look abroad if they ever plan to make anything of themselves. Also getting onto radio/into magazines is not difficult at all in ireland, neither is getting gigs all over the country. provided your show/material is good enough.

Also of all the places in ireland to play dublin has to be the worst. There are very few venues in the city that realise that people dont want to go see a band at 8pm, and that at weekends bands should be on late as it is elsewhere in the country. Also there are very few people that will go to a gig for the sake of going to a gig. They only go to see the band they know. Get yourself outside of dublin, and you will meet people and gain fans just because they go to a venue at a weekend to see bands.

Countless 'bigger' gigs I have been to the support bands play to no one, and they are excellent, and deserve a crowd to play to. Case in point the problem with the dublin 'scene' is not the bands, there are a lot of good bands from dublin, the problem is many of them fall to the lack of people to play to.

Sadly, it's true that Ireland can't, on it's own, support more than a handful of major bands... that's just economies of scale...

From the get-go my band has been aiming at the US/Europe/UK, because we knew/know those are the only real options... very depressing for me, but a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

IMO, every band that there is out there is influenced by others. Its what gets us into music in the first place. Sometimes its more obvious than others, but the influence is still there. There is no such thing as 100% originality anymore. Anyone who isn't a fan can easily dissect a bands song and find a similar chord progression used by some other band, or a singer with a similar style. Depends on how "pernickety" you are willing to get.

Irish radio and media, as has been mentioned before, is there solely for the purpose of making money. They do this primarily by attracting the largest listener base they can and sell advertising time. Therefore, they put out songs that they think THE MASSES will like.....ie, whats "in" at the moment whether that by Arcade Fire or Lady Gaga. Its a bit of a crap spiral in the sense that by putting the music on their station in the first place, they influence what the common person wants to hear, then they attempt to hold on to them by playing the same stuff to them.

Its a huge issue IMO that completely influences what the live scene is like. Most musicians here and elsewhere are unfortunately in the "niche" end of things. Bottom line is, is you want to make money from "original" music in Ireland, unless your willing to conform to the media standard, your better off trying your product in a market thats there for you. Thinking that you are going to form a new rock band that will change the Irish scene is just naive. Personally, Im sick of metal bands that assume that because they play metal that they are instantly better than less heavier bands. They think that technical playing outweighs good songwriting and that they are so original. Ive not seen a good original metal band (bar one) in Ireland. Most Ive seen all sound the same, usually playing a venue with poor sound, a "vocalist" who growls into a mic, and a drummer who over uses a double kick pedal. Its a pity as I love metal, but I just think that Irish metal bands go about it all wrong.

As for the Dublin scene, personally, I think its pretty boring, harsh with too much sense of entitlement and a bad work ethic. I know of bands that jam once a week in a rehearsal room and do a few gigs a year who think that they deserve to play webley! Dubln bands do not support each other anymore. Its gotten too competitive. I went to a gig on Saturday, and by the time the "headline" band came onstage, the previous 2 bands had already left with most of their friends. That sort of malarkey is not on IMO, though its done at most gigs I go to.
    I think that if we want a scene in Dublin for the niche bands, we need to work together to create one ourselves. We probably wouldnt see the benefits from our efforts until the next generation though.....

drumdrum wrote: »
    IMO, every band that there is out there is influenced by others. Its what gets us into music in the first place. Sometimes its more obvious than others, but the influence is still there. There is no such thing as 100% originality anymore. Anyone who isn't a fan can easily dissect a bands song and find a similar chord progression used by some other band, or a singer with a similar style. Depends on how "pernickety" you are willing to get.

Irish radio and media, as has been mentioned before, is there solely for the purpose of making money. They do this primarily by attracting the largest listener base they can and sell advertising time. Therefore, they put out songs that they think THE MASSES will like.....ie, whats "in" at the moment whether that by Arcade Fire or Lady Gaga. Its a bit of a crap spiral in the sense that by putting the music on their station in the first place, they influence what the common person wants to hear, then they attempt to hold on to them by playing the same stuff to them.

Its a huge issue IMO that completely influences what the live scene is like. Most musicians here and elsewhere are unfortunately in the "niche" end of things. Bottom line is, is you want to make money from "original" music in Ireland, unless your willing to conform to the media standard, your better off trying your product in a market thats there for you. Thinking that you are going to form a new rock band that will change the Irish scene is just naive. Personally, Im sick of metal bands that assume that because they play metal that they are instantly better than less heavier bands. They think that technical playing outweighs good songwriting and that they are so original. Ive not seen a good original metal band (bar one) in Ireland. Most Ive seen all sound the same, usually playing a venue with poor sound, a "vocalist" who growls into a mic, and a drummer who over uses a double kick pedal. Its a pity as I love metal, but I just think that Irish metal bands go about it all wrong.

As for the Dublin scene, personally, I think its pretty boring, harsh with too much sense of entitlement and a bad work ethic. I know of bands that jam once a week in a rehearsal room and do a few gigs a year who think that they deserve to play webley! Dubln bands do not support each other anymore. Its gotten too competitive. I went to a gig on Saturday, and by the time the "headline" band came onstage, the previous 2 bands had already left with most of their friends. That sort of malarkey is not on IMO, though its dont at most gigs I go to.
    I think that if we want a scene in Dublin for the niche bands, we need to work together to create one ourselves. We probably wouldnt see the benefits from our efforts until the next generation though.....

It's a good goal... I think part of the problem, and this isn't Dublin specific, but happens in ALL scenes, is that there's so basic unspoken rules that bands live by, that are all BS... these rules create little boxes for bands to slot into and create a huge number of same-y bands...

It's a topic for another thread, but really, bands in a scene are kinda trapped by a lot of convention that is hard to ignore... that's one reason we decided to record a record before jumping into the scene, to try our best to bypass and short-circuit a lot of that, before it happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

It could be worse lads....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcibYABRm9E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Ah dude you've just brightened up my day!! :D
    Thats hilarious!!

Heres another one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMDvCdrtc

Advertisement