Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fashion/Photography Dilemma

• 21-08-2010 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi everyone :).
    I'm kinda new here, so i'm not sure if this is the right section to post this..
    I'm about to go into my Leaving Cert year, really nervous about the exams and about what comes after .. i wanna try and get as much information as I can before school re-starts, so prepare for a long, confusing and whiny post (sorry in advance!! really!!) :o

Some info about me: I'm going through a financial crisis like many of you.. from a one-parent family household, my dad has been injured for years so he isn't working.. i dont have a job and getting one when its my final year seems like a bad move for me.. there's 4 of us, dad, little sis, big sister who is going to college this year with the help of Grant, and me, going next year.
    My dream has always been Fashion Design.. but it not many colleges offer fashion courses in Dublin except Griffith which I found out isn't under the Grant System. Thats a huge blow for me because as you can see i CANT afford to pay 7.5k euros per year for college.. right now, I cant even afford all the minor expenses such as food, books, and traveling. On top of not being able to afford it.. I also need Art and a portfolio, which I don't have.. I gave up on Art after 3rd year also.

Another one of my interests is Photography. I love traveling, i'm quite the free spirit who hates being stuck in a building doing office work (no offense to anyone who does that, it just isnt me).. but photography courses are ALSO limited here in Dublin.. Griffith also had that course but I alraedy explain the issue.. I know Griffith has a scholarship system (or had) but I dont know how it works, if its for every year of your course, and what the chances are of me getting it..
    Dublin IT also has photography courses, but i always hear rumors about IT's not being good apart for computer and engineering..

So in conclusion, there's 2 things I wanna do.. Fashion and/or Photography.. but to put it in simple terms.. IM BROKE! so cant afford to PAY for college..
    I was hoping some of you wud give me some info and opinions on my dilemma here.

- Is Crumlin College any good for fashion design? The website doesn't have much info so how long is the course, how many points do I need, what requirements do they ask for (like do I need a portfolio etc) and if i do the full course, what level degree will i have, 6,7 or 8 ? And does the grant cover it?

- Is Dublin IT good or bad for photography? I know the grant covers it. What are the minimum requirements? Do I have to own a specific camera? Do I have to know how to use it apart from snapping photos (yes i'm useless i know :rolleyes:)

- How does the scholarship system for Griffith College work? I checked their website a few months ago and they had little info about it..

- How hard is it to get a job in the fashion industry and actuall succeeding at it? What about the photography industry? Feels like i'm taking huge chances with both..

- And finally what shud I chose? I LOVE Fashion, it's my dream, but my dream is to draw and make clothes NOT to work in an office and watch others draw them.. I wanna make my own clothes.. but i know it's not simple, so am I just another little fish swimming in a huge-ass pond, or do people actually have a chance (even if it isnt in Ireland).. I also love photography, its not my dream but its one of them.. and i looooove the fact i can travel and go wherever I please if I become one.. but i dont know, im so nervous..

I had a lot more questions but i forgot them :rolleyes:.. besides I think you all probably hate me right now, please try not to flame me i know im a pain :pbut im just an anxious stressed and freaked out teeny trying to figure out my life.. hopefully I didnt break any rules or annoy anyone too much..

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lenght!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Look theres simply no way around it, you need a art portfolio to get into fashion/photography.

So work all you can in your spare time growing your interests in these areas, making sketchbooks, focus on improving your drawing. THEN early next year apply for a FETAC art portfolio prep course that includes photography as a module. no big deal if it doesn't either though. you'll no doubt qualify for the grant and could stay at home, maybe get a part time job to help with expenses for yourself (this is common with students).

Then you'll apply to colleges like NCAD, LSAD, anywhere that doesn't require FEES to be paid by you. These colleges fashion depts differ but I've known successful people to emerge from both. They both have fine art depts with photography as does dit AND Dunlaoigh.

Scotland also has excellent art colleges with great fashion dept/photography where you'll also avail of free fees and could qualify for student loans.

Why did you quit art after third year? Are you more interested in fashion to see or making, ie do you draw your work, make anything? You'll need to make a art portfolio oneway or another so if it was a case of you disliking painting/drawing from life ect you'll need to get over that and see it as a stepping stone for what you want to do. these skills believe it or not will eventually help you in photography/fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

So you're suggesting I take a year off and do an FETAC course?
    I don't really know much about those courses but i'm guessing there's a huge advantage if I take one? Better preparation etc? I don't really wanna waste a year if it's not gonna help me much..

I was looking around the forums the whole afternoon today.. found a lot of threads about photography and all.. it seems to be an extremely tough area to get accepted in college.. lots of competition (someone mentioned 2000 applications for DIT on photography alone!!!). If they didn't get in with good photography skills + virtual journals and all that stuff.. what are the odds of me making it with 0 knowledge and absolutely 0 photography skills? Very slim seeing I never even knew what a virtual journal was until today. Still dont to be honest. :(
    It's too bad though.. DIT seemed pretty great, and i'd get tons of help from the gov, so it'd be easier for me to save for the rest.

As for fashion.. LSAD is out of the question.. first it's a completely new county, i'd be spending a lot of time trying to not get lost, and showing up late for college, second it would mean movin out on my own with no friends to share an appartment with.. obviously cant afford to do that, and third, doubt me dad would even let me anyway.
    NCAD sounds alright, except one or two things that I might have problems with.. seems you were right, every bloody college asks for a portfolio when it comes to fashion and photography. I'm doomed for good.
    I remember reading somewhere on the internet that your artistic skills didnt really matter for fashion courses, because they'd teach ya.. it was creativity they were looking for. Though i'm tryin to figure out what exactly "creativity" means to them.. in every fashion college i go to, when i look at the fashion show with the pieces made by the students.. it's all over-the-top stuff!! I guess creativity = something Lady Gaga would wear? Dunno if i'm up to those standards of creativity yet.. dont even know if I wanna be. No offense to any fans, but I wanna design clothes that normal people would wear, not something that's used to win a "Who's wearing the weirdest Martian outfit for the Oscars" competition.

For the past 3 days I think I spent around 20-28 hours looking up College things non-stop.. I have one heck of a headache but i'm determined to figure most things out before school starts. Though, the more I research the less discouraged I feel.. losing hope by the minute :( maybe I should just go for office work afterall -dies-

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

So you're suggesting I take a year off and do an FETAC course?
    I don't really know much about those courses but i'm guessing there's a huge advantage if I take one? Better preparation etc? I don't really wanna waste a year if it's not gonna help me much..

Don't see it as a year "off". It is anything BUT if you do it right. its only a waste if you spend more of the year outside of the class room then in it. Basically you'll get what you put in. Did you know 50 percent of ncad 1st year places go to leaving certs? the rest go to PLCs or mature students. Thats to help Leaving certs get places so its a more even mix. A year to focus on work before college is desirable as your standard is up going in. You'll be in a much stronger position to get into college. Plus you'll have support and like minded individuals around you.
    If you look at the uk for example most the the top ranked colleges for creative courses demand a year of prep in a foundation like course, a year of solidly working on your portfolio. You literally wouldn't be accepted without it. Why? Simply the standard of entry demands it. They don't want to spend a year teaching you the basics.
    I was looking around the forums the whole afternoon today.. found a lot of threads about photography and all.. it seems to be an extremely tough area to get accepted in college.. lots of competition (someone mentioned 2000 applications for DIT on photography alone!!!). If they didn't get in with good photography skills + virtual journals and all that stuff.. what are the odds of me making it with 0 knowledge and absolutely 0 photography skills? Very slim seeing I never even knew what a virtual journal was until today. Still dont to be honest. :(
    It's too bad though.. DIT seemed pretty great, and i'd get tons of help from the gov, so it'd be easier for me to save for the rest.

yeah its going to take a lot of work on your part but thats life. The people who deserve the course get in, at least thats what i've seen. Many of the people I know that got into DIT photography didn't even have most of their portfolio covering photography. Other media can show the same skills. They don't expect you to have set up a dark room lab, they teach you all that in there. They want creativity, a keen eye and understanding of composition/colour but you'll learn whats needed in your portfolio course. A decent portfolio prep course will give you these skills. You'll have follow what they say and do as much work in your free time as you can.
    As for fashion.. LSAD is out of the question.. first it's a completely new county, i'd be spending a lot of time trying to not get lost, and showing up late for college, second it would mean movin out on my own with no friends to share an appartment with.. obviously cant afford to do that, and third, doubt me dad would even let me anyway.

well now, you're not as helpless as not being able to make your way around a new place without asking for directions are you? Many students live off the grant and have a part time job to fund the extras (drinking, clothes, gigs). Dads are funny like that, not wanting to see their little girls leave but Limerick is not the other side of the world. you're making an awful lot of excuses. Besides after your year in a PLC you'll no doubt be more mature then right now. It might sound scary but give yourself two more years and you might be dying to leave this country nevermind the county.
    NCAD sounds alright, except one or two things that I might have problems with.. seems you were right, every bloody college asks for a portfolio when it comes to fashion and photography. I'm doomed for good.

Doomed? Come on its not like they've asked for a load of money off you you'll never be able to afford. We at the moment at least have a lot given to us by this country, free fees, grants for some, try living in a country where no matter what you have to fork over thousands.

Personally alarm bells go off for me if i saw a art college ask for no portfolio. I've yet to see one. I'd think whats the catch? Art colleges want the standard to be high, in the same way a science based course might demand a certain subject, art colleges demand portfolios. How else will they tell who to let in.
    I remember reading somewhere on the internet that your artistic skills didnt really matter for fashion courses, because they'd teach ya.. it was creativity they were looking for. Though i'm tryin to figure out what exactly "creativity" means to them.. in every fashion college i go to, when i look at the fashion show with the pieces made by the students.. it's all over-the-top stuff!! I guess creativity = something Lady Gaga would wear? Dunno if i'm up to those standards of creativity yet.. dont even know if I wanna be. No offense to any fans, but I wanna design clothes that normal people would wear, not something that's used to win a "Who's wearing the weirdest Martian outfit for the Oscars" competition.

Look at it this way. Getting accepted into art colleges is like getting a job. Two people walk in to get a job at a butchers. Ones got a cv full of past work experience ect, the other says they want to be a butcher but they need to learn how to be one. They say they know meat tastes really good and likes to think bout it all the time. Who gets the job? guy A every time. Guy B gets told to go find a apprenticeship. Why should photography/fashion colleges pick someone who hasn't shown any dedication yet or even a ability to work yet?
    Creativity is everything, Lady GAGA has her creativity others have to find theres. Some fashion courses are more practical based but a lot start like chili, lots ofbig bold flavours then it eventually boils down to a gentle heat. Its like in the worlf of fashion the trends in the high fashion world boil down to a more "consumer friendly" high street fashion. Where you decide to work eventually is up to you.
    For the past 3 days I think I spent around 20-28 hours looking up College things non-stop.. I have one heck of a headache but i'm determined to figure most things out before school starts. Though, the more I research the less discouraged I feel.. losing hope by the minute :( maybe I should just go for office work afterall -dies-

If you are ready to quit now and settle for something you don't want chances are you're not that determined. fashion and photography are not easy professional areas. They take a lot of hard work but so does anything worth doing.

You still haven't answered why you quit art.

If you really don't want to go to a college to do fashion or photography you could try to teach yourself. Thats a long independant road. Art college is really a place to throw ideas and to soak up the ideas floating around. Its also a place to get critic (good and bad). Having a degree behind you helps build a network and make connections that could eventually help you with your career.

I'm sorry if I seem harsh but you need to realise creative courses are not easy choices. They seem cool and a great way to avoid reality but if you're any way serious theres serious work involved. But if its the right path for you, most of the time you won't mind being up at all hours working on something because you got a idea before you got to bed. It mightn't even seem like work when you get into the flow. :)

If you wanna do something, just do it. There's no reason why you couldn't get in if you work hard. You have this whole year to work on stuff and next year if you do a fetac course. It can all seem very intimidating right now, you've probably haven't picked up a pencil since the JC. I have known people to never have done art at all during secondary school to hold offers to great art colleges here and abroad to do every thing from fine art to costume design. Maybe start by putting some photos up in the photography forum and get some feedback?

Hm, now that you mention it, FETAC courses are probably a smart idea..
    If I decide to just go ahead and get into College after this year, i'm gonna be under a hell of a lot of stress/pressure trying to gather up all the info for each college I apply to, applying for grant and all that other stuff, making 2 portfolios 1 for photography and 1 for fashion since I cant make up my mind.. AND concentrating in school/studying for my MOCKS/LC.
    On top of that, most colleges seem to want you to apply before the end of March.. which means i'll have to apply and wait for my results to come and possibly ruin all my plans and whole life. Yeah.. not a very pleasant situation to be in at all.. If I do a FETAC course, i wont have to wait for the LC results, i'll just have to wait for my portfolio grade..

A portfolio prep course only covers photography or would it cover any type of portfolio at all? If it did, i'd kill 2 birds with a stone since I need 2 portfolios and have no idea where to start.

You're right, i need to stop being so negative.. it's just kinda been a tough week, realizing that no matter what I chose to do i'll be taking a huge chance that can lead to me wasting 4-5 years of my life. I was definitely not expecting to have everything handed in a plate to me, i'm not that naive.. but i'm just starting to realize how truly complicated things are gonna be. Though i'm most likely making it all seem worse than it really is.
    As for leaving the country, I have no problem with doing that once i'm done with college and dont have to rely on my dad/try getting his permission.
    For now I do.. so i'm under his rules unfortunately

So far NCAD and DIT sound like the best options for me right now.. Griffith is out of the list and apart from Limerick, all the other courses I found weren't covered by the grant.

The doomed statement was referring to the portfolios actually, but you're right in everything else you said.. i know a few people who are in college in foreign countries.. some are in 3rd eastern world countries, and they get absolutely no help from the government at all. No grants, no "back-to-school", no student funds.. they have to work nonstop and take a student loan if they cant gather enough money, than pay the money back once they're done with college. Ireland has an extremely generous system and we're all quite privileged tbh, I realize that even if it doesn't sound like it.. my brain just doesnt function well under pressure. The more nervous I get, the less rational i become

It makes sense they'd ask to see what your drawing and painting skills are like.. but if these portfolios are anything like they're expecting, than i have no chance in hell.. http://visualjournaling.com/sketchbooks.html# just click on one of the photos and it'll show the owner's portfolios.. click on the pic to see the details etc.
    Look at it this way. Getting accepted into art colleges is like getting a job. Two people walk in to get a job at a butchers. Ones got a cv full of past work experience ect, the other says they want to be a butcher but they need to learn how to be one. They say they know meat tastes really good and likes to think bout it all the time. Who gets the job? guy A every time. Guy B gets told to go find a apprenticeship. Why should photography/fashion colleges pick someone who hasn't shown any dedication yet or even a ability to work yet?

Makes perfect sense I guess. Right now i'm guy B, but hopefully that'll change soon.

The reason I quit Art is kind of a problem i've always had. Basically, my JC project wasn't what it should've been because i was never happy with what I did, so kept starting over and over and changing my mind over and over. In the end, my project in quality, was probably 5x worse than it would've originally been if I had stuck to one theme instead of going all over the place and trying to get eveything perfect, only to figure out it wasnt what I wanted. Even though I passed, I was still disappointed.. so i dropped out because I knew LC would most likely end up the same way.
    That's always been a problem with me. I have a lot of interests, from writing random things or stories to reading/researching about all sorts of things, to drawing and playing instruments and a lot of other things. Because I have so many interests it's hard for me to focus on just one.. in other words, I wanna do it all.. but my mind never stops, i jump from idea to idea.. i dont get bored of my previous ideas, im just not capable of finishing them. For my MOCKS paper, I got 100/100 marks on my English essay. I loved what I wrote, and I wanted to continue it since8 pages of writing was only Chapter 1 for me.. but ofc I didnt continue it.. i gave up.
    I dont know if its lack of motivation, or what.. but I know if I dont find a solution, it's really gonna affect my work. Most fashion courses require their students to make at least one outfit/one piece of clothing and that's where i'll be stuck.. so many ideas developing and changing nonstop at the same time and in the end, i'll end up with an "ok" piece which I had to force myself to stick with because I knew it was my last option.

You're not being harsh, the last thing I need right now is someone telling me unrealistic things and giving me unrealistic hopes. Reality is harsh sometimes but it's better than being kept in the dark and than realizing at last minute that things werent the way I expected them to be. At least right now I still have a year (or two if i do a FETAC course).
    I've drawn about 4 drawings since JC.. and it was all out-of-boredom things, nothing I actually put ALL my efforts into.

Once again thank you so much for all the help and the fast reply.. if it wasn't for you i'd be even more clueless than I am right now, and I wouldn't even know of NCAD :)

No waaaaay would you make two different portfolios... One is all you need.

I wouldn't be overly impressed with those pics from those peoples sketchbooks (not portfolios as you said, a portfolio is on average A1 size with 20-27 inserts of finished and developed work). Some have good drawing/painting, some so-so, most of it is collage from photographs/clippings. All pretty standard mix expected from sketchbooks. Sketchbooks are not about every page being perfect. its natural for a lot of pages just to be notes and quick sketches, compositions from clippings, ect. If you saw them in person you'd realise this.

Art Portfolio courses are generally broad so to help the individuals develop lots of skills so they can keep their options open. Plus you can have a lot of people in the class that want to go to different places. Mine had drawing, painting, sculpture, mixed media, print, graphics, work experience and communications. On top of that I did video/photography in my own time and my tutor would give me feed back on that.
    I wouldn't go for a strictly photography portfolio or fashion. its a bit narrow and not the smartest thing to do if you're applying to a few different courses. It wouldn't help to split your time like that. A broader approach from a wider portfolio prep course would be a good idea and leave your options open. Like i've said I know plenty you got into Photography courses with a fair mix of media.

You'd actually NEED a mixed portfolio to get into NCAD as there's a brief that stresses this. You'll apply for CORE year which is a year to try everything before specialising in second year. NCAD has a fashion and a media dept, the media covers everything from photography to video to sound but they're meant to be sound about letting you focus on one area ie. photography.

Now you've come around to the idea of a FETAC course don't spend the next year doing nothing. Go to the college open days. NCAD puts some of the portfolios out and you can have a nose at the work. Its not there to be copied just to give you a idea of the work involved/expected.

Maybe practice drawing or if you can afford or find something free, do a art class. Keep a sketchbook, don't compare it with the work you see online. If you manage to fill even one sketchbook to the brim by the time you go for the FETAC interview you'll stand a better chance of being accepted onto the course.

Don't worry about your skills or your standard yet for the interview to get into the FETAC course you'll pick. They really just want to see a desire to learn. I'm just saying you'll do yourself a favour to keep a sketchbook to show them. There will be plenty who'll be able to show leaving cert work so you'll need to show up with something.

Some quick guidelines on sketchbooks:

-don't draw from photographs, doesn't show skill/originality, hard to prove aren't traced.
    - don't focus on art objects that depict other things (a china elephant) its a bit far from the original item.
    -some days you won't wanna draw/paint/collage/take photos. write notes. write down all the ideas you get and eventually you'll see a common thread, then condense that idea.
    - try to go to exhibitions and the like. take notes of what you think. This shows you're interested in the wider creative world.
    - start with something real, a organic or mechanical object and draw, paint, colour study it. focus on those building blocks and gather images/stories/ideas connected with that object. stick them into the book. there's no right or wrong way to do this. it can look as messy or clean as you like. this is how you can build your ideas in a clear way that your mind will be able to cope with.

Because you say you have a problem focusing and jump around its probably important you pick ONE object and until you've exhausted that (which believe me can take months if done right) don't move onto anything else. If you see anything interesting theres no problem popping a page in your book about this into it just remember to keep a flow.

I hope this has helped sort yourself out but honestly you're still quite young and in two years who could (probably will) have a completely different idea of what you want to do. Doing the FETAC is great because it gives you time to breathe after the leaving to clear your head and think about it without pressure.

• Advertisement

Oh I see.. reason why I thought I needed 2 portfolios was because when people talked about a Photography Portfolio they usually only mentioned photographs and sketches.. I was thinking they would find it really untidy if I had textures + inspiration + ideas and everything all in 1 portfolio.

As for Portfolio Prep Courses.. the closets thing I found to one was this, but it didnt have any actual requirements (no sketchbooks or anything): http://www.crumlincollege.ie/pages/full/beauty/fashion_styling.html
    The workshop section mentions "Portfolio Preparation" or something along those lines.. that'll do right? I can add in photography + extras if it's only based on fashion I guess.. I haven't a clue what an actual portfolio is like, or a sketchbook as a matter of fact. I always thought sketchbooks were.. places where you sketched/scribbled ideas and things, but you said the portfolios on that link were actually "sketchbooks", so I guess my definition is quite off :rolleyes:.

Your portfolio sounds like a work of Art, and a very detailed and broad one at that. Did you throw in inspiration work and things that inspire you, or would that be a sketchbook? Yesterday I was thinking about things that i like in fashion, and that inspire me overall.. I came up with tons of stuff such as feathers, beads, porcelain dolls, fans, masquerade masks and all sorts of crazy stuff.. but i've no idea if they want to see collages of what interests me or if they just want me to draw and make things based on things that interest me.. would cutting things from all sorts of different books/magazines and than making a collage out of them be something they considered made by me? Would that go in a portfolio or a sketchbook? Would they allow me to do online collages and than print it, or would they just consider it as "inspirational" work rather than actual finished work that they can judge my creativity on?
    To be honest i'm much much better at decorating things and putting things together such as collages, and different designs, than freehand drawing. I'm pretty sucky at that nowadays. I dont lack creativity, i just cant seem to "draw" whats in my head.. dont have the skills to do it AND i dont know how to.. thats why i'm better at other things.

Well hopefully that course I mentioned above can answer all my questions, and help me with ideas for my portoflio.. the NCAD brief seems really complicated.. especially the way they describe it. I'm starting to think my JC Art classes were a waste of time. Can't think of anything good that came out of it apart from improving the way I sketched.. but not my knowledge.
    - start with something real, a organic or mechanical object and draw, paint, colour study it. focus on those building blocks and gather images/stories/ideas connected with that object. stick them into the book. there's no right or wrong way to do this. it can look as messy or clean as you like. this is how you can build your ideas in a clear way that your mind will be able to cope with.

Because you say you have a problem focusing and jump around its probably important you pick ONE object and until you've exhausted that (which believe me can take months if done right) don't move onto anything else. If you see anything interesting theres no problem popping a page in your book about this into it just remember to keep a flow

That sounds like a frustrating but satisfying (if I do it correctly) challenge for me. The way I draw is simple.. I simply draw the lines, i focus on each individual part but i never go into huge details, and have never ever "studied" an object as far as I'm concerned, nor have I ever had to focus on building blocks I never drew like that before. Months for one signle object? I sure hope i'm not expected to draw 5 or 6 of those, or else i'm gonna have problems with the dead line.. what objects do the majority go for? Fruits? Kitchen utensils? I hate common, but I think i'll start with a "common" object just to get the hang of it, and than move onto other things..

You've been a great great help, and i wouldn have half fo the things figured out if it werent for you!! Im truly grateful for that :D

that link you send isn't a course to prep you to go into art college, it seems like its more about putting together a portfolio to show clients.

Since you are not sure about which to pick (photography/fashion) if it was me in YOUR shoes I'd have in mind to do a general ART portfolio in a plc after the LC and aim to get into NCAD/LSAD. That way you'll be in one college that will have depts for both your interests and you'll have a extra year to decide.

What people applied to different courses we put in and took out some work depending on the course we were applying for. I just think they looked more like sketchbooks due to the size, nature of the work ect.

Okay in generally, a "sketchbook" is a bound stack of paper that has the building blocks of your ideas. don't be thrown by the name, if you want keep a ideas book and a sketchbook thats fine too. A "portfolio" is a big A1 black portfolio case with inserts containing includes finished work that comes out of your ideas with maybe a few late stages of development.

LOL I don't know why you think my portfolio sounds great, I haven't talked about it at all.

The only reason I suggested you keep a sketchbook this year is because at my PLC when we were interviewed for the portfolio course we were asked to bring examples of work. Since you did not do LC art I'd imagine its important for you to show you're capable of working and this isn't just a flight of fancy. Saying that not everyone i know who got a place brought work with them but personally I think you'll feel a lot more confident going in and its better to get the ball rolling.

The objects task was just to give you a idea how to work to keep yourself focused if you want to help yourself improve. a lot of portfolio courses i know of start that way. It might sound crazy to work with a object for months but by the end of a few months what you're producing might only tie in very barely with your object. Its hard to understand until you see a portfolio up close.

People pick all sorts of objects, Theres cliches about picking certain objects (peppers, pineapples, cow skulls) but i've seen people get into college with them and get good scores. Personally I think it doesn't matter too much, its what you do with it that matters. But it doesn't hurt to pick interesting objects. I would think its important to pick objects that are interesting to you since you'll be staring at them for ages. We picked one mechanical and one organic but when we started getting ready for the ncad brief after xmas we had to pick another two. So only two months at most was given to our new two objects but by that stage we were much faster and used to the process :) The ncad brief is designed that they don't need to all equally be tackled.

Overall I think i've said all i can say without confusing you (although i'm pretty sure I have) and just say don't stress, you're not even in the plc yet and I think you should focus on the LC for the next year but try and make some time for fashion/photography. It should be a welcome release from study and it will only go towards helping you. Theres some PLCs that hold open days where you can see what goes into making a portfolio, keep a eye out for those near you.

I honestly think a portfolio prep course would do wonders for you so try to chill out in the mean time.

Advertisement