Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved to Bray recently

Options
  • 18-08-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi All,

My Fiance and I moved to Bray a couple of weeks back as her job has moved out that direction. I'd like peoples opinions on decent bars and restaurants in the town as we really don't know the area.

Also i'd be interested in social clubs etc we could join so we can get to know people there. We're both interested in Movies and Music.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

The Martello on the seafront is a great pub. Late bar, great food, music every night of the summer (check out Colm Lynch in particular!). They also have a nightclub 7 nights a week but I cannot stand the place - but I'm more a late bar kinda gal :)

The porterhouse next door is also good.

There is a new restaurant called the Beach House on the promenade - can't give any recommendations as I haven't been there yet!

The nicest restaurant is Campo de Fino which is just down from the albert walk, almost on the seafront. I'm hungry thinking about the place! Great little authentic Italian restaurant.

There's the Mermaid Arts centre which has a nice little theatre and there's often a good show on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi padimus2,

as whoopsa...etc. said the Martello is very nice. Also try Jim Doyles at the seafront a bit further down towards the Bray Head side. Particularly on weekends very nice and big lunches etc. Porterhouse chicken wings....yummie.

On the main street I would suggest Holland's and Duff's. Also the Vevay Inn. Restaurant wise there are a couple but I have been disappointed recently with some of them (Campo de Fiore being one of them unfortunately, some meals were undercooked etc) so not sure what to recommend. There's another Italian just around the corner on the left from Campo. Also has a Gelateria. Some good chippers around. Also some nice one's out in Greystones.

:)

Preusse wrote: »
    Hi padimus2,

(Campo de Fiore being one of them unfortunately, some meals were undercooked etc) so not sure what to recommend.

That's a pity about campo :( I heard they went downhill for a while but that the new owners are fantastic (which I've experienced). Hopefully they've cleaned up their act.

Good tip on the chicken wings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Duffs on the main street...best pub in bray.

That's a pity about campo :( I heard they went downhill for a while but that the new owners are fantastic (which I've experienced). Hopefully they've cleaned up their act.

Good tip on the chicken wings :)

Yeah, I really liked their lasagne and the side order of fresh spinach heated in oil and garlic. So was quite disappointed after that. Have to say the undercooked food happened on their lunch opening hours. No problems at dinner times.

Oh and good chippers would be Cassoni's and Henry & Rose. :)

Yes, the Porterhouse chickenwings were really nice and surprisingly huge portions. I ordered them for starters to be followed by their banger and mash but had to get a doggy bag for the left over wings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,025 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

padimus2 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My Finance and I moved to Bray a couple of weeks back as her job has moved out that direction. I'd like peoples opinions on decent bars and restaurants in the town as we really don't know the area.

Also i'd be interested in social clubs etc we could join so we can get to know people there. We're both interested in Movies and Music.

Bars I would recommend - The Vevay, Duffs, Hollands, Porterhouse, The Martello, Jim Doyles
    Restaurants: Shelbies, Martello (pub gub and restaurant at back), Palazzo, Campo di fiori

In terms of social clubs - Bray Arts Club might be your thing
    http://www.wicklowcommunitydirectory.ie/pub_org_specific.php?choice=321

or there is the choral society or musical society

Have a look through this

http://www.wicklowcommunitydirectory.ie/index.php?choice=Recreation+%26+Social

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

On the first Wednesday of the month.......

Bray's best night out.

www.braycomedy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 35 padimus2

Thanks for the replies, lots to look at there.

Glad to hear there's plenty to do.:)

There is a new restaurant called the Beach House on the promenade - can't give any recommendations as I haven't been there yet!

Tried this one tonight and have to give it thumbs up! Lovely food and great views. Apart from their main menu they do have a value meal between 6pm and 10.00pm (I think a 2 course meal is around 19ish Euro and a 3 course meal for 23ish Euro). Was good and will try it again on another evening.

For a Monday it was very well occupied and it would be advisable to book a table if you want to be near the windows. Although the "Beach huts" permit you a lovely view over the sea as well if you are looking for no more than two seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If either of you are interested in being part of a fun panto, check out the panto thread. Open night Tuesday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

padimus2 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My Fiance and I moved to Bray a couple of weeks back as her job has moved out that direction. I'd like peoples opinions on decent bars and restaurants in the town as we really don't know the area.

The Harbour Bar down the front is the best pub IMO. Not the cleanest, its just different to the other usual pubs and has great music as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

Shelby's on the main st is a fab eaterie, consistently good food and lovely atmosphere. Deffo my favourite in Bray.
    The Beach House is quite nice too, only eaten there twice tho.
    Diva not bad either, also on Main St.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

The theatre has a great film showing on the cheap on Monday nights - one of Bray's best kept secrets. They bring in some really good films - arty, classics or international. Great way to spend a cols winters Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Hibernia is the best pub no hassle trad session on a tuesday good guinness its magic!!

Advertisement