Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quality of life in Arklow

Options
  • 13-08-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

whats Arklow like to live in? is there much too do apart from go drinking? does it have shops and a gym?
    renting is more expensive taht waht I thought it would be. almost dublin prices, perhaps because of its close proximity to the capital

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bridgewater shopping centre is on ferrybank. there is a dunnes stores, tesco, lidl, aldi and a supervalu in the town.
    its a grand spot. my girlfriend is moving down from dublin permanently next july and we have been down quite a bit getting thing ready.
    there is a fair amount of pubs in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i hear there is a masive drug probelm there.

on the positive side I see it is beside the sea. is is good for swiming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i hear there is a masive drug probelm there.

I'm not being smart here but it's hardly an issue that's exclusive to Arklow. I doubt there's a single town that size in the country without a similar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...I reluctantly moved to Arklow earlier this year and expected the place to be a complet kip.
    thankfully though it didnt work out like that,the people i meet in the buisnesses and shops are sound and have loads of time for ya, the town's got every shop goin (24 hr tescos?argos are Great),decent restaurants and penty of sporting facilities....its not far from some great beaches and near to plenty of forest parks etc. theres a few gyms around the town,the coral Leisure centre and arklow bay being the main 1's.
    If i was to change anything I'd move it further North nearer Dublin but if they fill the N11 gap with a motorway it might help a bit!
    ...havent come across any drug/crime issues either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

it seems to be a bit of an oasis, far removed from other towns, some shops stuch in the eighties, others ultra modern.
    appaentlz river ands ea polluted.

I am interetsed in The REd CRoss nad Civil DEfence, I know they are in Wicklow, but are thez represented in Arklow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

The main street of Arklow is not going good at all. with every second shop boarded up and alot of pubs and hotels on main street closed up this years. and nothing done with them well its got to be down to local government i guess with there sky high rent and rates, no parking any were traffic warden always on your tail if you wanted to pull in some were i just went through the town today and saw on a boarded up shop front it read RENT THIS FOR €25 ADAY. so thats how bad the main street has gone real shame because arklow folk are salt of the earth and hope it will recover soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pastel_Princess

The Alps site in the main street in Arklow has been given the go ahead during the week, it's creating 500 new jobs for the town and it's going to contain a hotel, 70 something residential units, offices, medical centre, creche, 35 retail units and a multi-story car park. I think it will be great for the main street.

And patwicklow - there's two new traffic wardens in town recently and they both seem to be a lot more easy going that the two previous ones we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 x_Ashy_x

Brittas beach is only a few mins up the up and is gorgeous on a nice day! As are the beaches in the town. Bridgewater has most of the shops you'll find in Dublin. Every second building on the Main St. is a pub/restaurant so there's lots of options. There's 2 gyms - both good! Plenty of sports clubs too. The 'drug problem' is nothing different to what you'd find anywhere else but I've never felt unsafe or had an issues. I'm pretty sure that the Red Cross and Civil Defence are both represented in the town.

And isn't the N11 the M11 now anyways..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Was born and bread in Arklow, left when I started college and never moved back. I would never go back to living there.

For those of you who said that the drug problem in Arklow is no different to any other town in rubbish - the drug problem in Arklow is way above other towns of similar size in the country. There's a list of guys from my class who died from drug related incidents.

Both gyms mentioned above are quite good, Coral is a good pay as you go option. Beaches are not great for swimming, they were much nicer back in the 80's :)

Plenty of choices for grocery shopping and clothes shopping. Pity to see the main street falling away though, used to be buzzing every day when I was growing up there.

kitty's is closed a few weeks now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 maciek.

why?

kitty's is closed a few weeks now

re-opening in a few weeks with an italian restaurant upstairs

Advertisement