Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pleased To Make Your Acquaintence!

Options
  • 11-08-2010 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

how's it going, my name is Surreal, I'm 24 and I hail from Ireland, currently residing in New York, Bronx. I've recorded a 10 track lp entitled "Schism", produced by Immortal Technique's producer, Southpaw. it's yet to be mixed and mastered at the present point in time.

Here's a link to a few of the tracks, let me know your thoughts!

http://www.youtube.com/user/seannugent1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

WTF is up with your accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Accent is a bit of an odd mix alright. Sounds a bit too yank for an Irish rapper. But then maybe you've been living there a while in which case fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Surreal Rap

I've gotten that before but from the get-go I i always sounded like that on record. I do admit it is an odd mix but regardless I'm just tryna express myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

A lot of Irish/English people when they start out rapping deliver their stuff with an American twang. People don't like it because it isn't authentic. It's always best to try and record in your own accent about things you know, not in a fake accent about things you don't know.

I don't know what your accent is like in real life so maybe it's grand. You may have lived in the Bronx for 10 years in which case rapping like that would be understandable. But if you've lived in Ireland for 24 years then it sounds a bit wigger sounding American and using words like mother****er.

Not slamming you for it or anything. Most of the best Irish rappers started out rhyming Americanised and filtered it out over a period of time when they came to realise it wasn't a good idea.

it was never my intention to try be american etc. even while recording, the people i was surrounded by never thought that of me. I had an Irish accent to them, but i respect your opinion though!

in regards to what i speak about, i've spent 10 years of my life researching that. I never speak about what i know, you'll never here me trying to be a gangster etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Welcome to boards, i havent listened to much of your stuff yet. Your accent did stand out, but it's your accent so what can you do. It's actually quite distinctive so it may work your favour.

Beats seems solid enough along with the subject matter. But what i did pick up on from my brief listening in that you are trying to cram too any words into some lines. There are others out there that do this really well such as Big Jus, Aesop Rock, Sole and El-P used to.

That's just my initial thoughts, the mixed and mastered version will probably filter that out

Appreciate it, yea, there was so much going through my mind at that point in time that i was trying to cram all my thoughts into those bars, I know better now though.

Advertisement