Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raw food - sprouting lentils

Options
  • 09-08-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just sprouted my first batch of green lentils and I'm just looking for some advice on the basics...

Do you eat the whole thing or just the little sprouts...if so should they be stored refrigerated and still on the lentils or should I remove them all first...

I know they are highly nutricious but I'm not actually sure exactly what I'm getting from them so if anyone knows...

I can't seem to find this info online so I would be grateful to anyone who can fill me in on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I have never sprouted lentils before. I presume that like the usual sprouts that once they have sprouted they are ok to eat (the whole thing). They go well in a salad, but you just eat them as they are on their own too. I presume they are not so hard as dried lentils? Once they have sprouted enough they are best stored in the fridge if you want to keep them for londer. The living foods website has some info about their qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Great thanks! I'm new to all this so just feeling my way...hadn't found that site so I can read up now...

thanks again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

For sprouted lentils/pulses etc you eat the whole thing - lentil and all :)
    There's a gorgeous recipe in the Cornucopia at Home cookbook for sprout salad with lemon and ginger dressing. Really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I love sprouting things! As mentioned above you eat the whole thing and once they are sprouted then keep them in the fridge.

Its so cheap and easy to do yourself I cant believe people pay a few € for a small bag when a bag of mung beans from the asian store costs about €1 and lasts ages!

I have a sprouter jar I got from the HFS a few years ago but you can use a jam jar and muslin.

Advertisement