Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan-friendly "thank yous"

Options
  • 07-08-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

I'm recently vegan, and I also recently had reason to buy a thank you present for a work colleague. This isn't someone I know particularly well on a personal level, so something with a personal touch that required thought would actually have been a bit weird. Flowers or alcohol would also have been inappropriate in this case.

In the past, I would have gone with a box of milk chocolates for such occasions. Obviously as someone who no longer supports the dairy industry, I didn't want to do this, but I found it hard to think of an alternative - dark chocolate isn't liked by everyone, for example.

In the end I bought the chocolates, but I'd rather not do it again. Anyone got any ideas for alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I had the same issue before. A student at a science conference abroad helped me out with some advice. I wanted to buy a gift with a personal touch, like dark chocolate, but as you said, not everyone likes dark chocolate. I ended up getting a box of masterers. Must think about this some more...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Did your thinking get you anywhere? :)

lol! No, I haven't come up with anything. Though I haven't thought all that hard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

A card and a few lotto scratchers is always a nice way to say thanks but in a "I care but not enough to think about it too deeply, and this is all I could come up with as a result" kind of way

Feel free to write that in the card;)

I guess there are lots of vegan wines that would be suitable? But then again, I don't really drink wine, so I couldn't recommend any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

are jellys made out of pectin suitable for vegans? you know the boxes of fruit jellys im talking about? theyre quite nice and in a box like chocolates.

maameeo wrote: »
    are jellys made out of pectin suitable for vegans? you know the boxes of fruit jellys im talking about? theyre quite nice and in a box like chocolates.
    Hmm, now there's an idea. Most of these tend to have gelatine in them unfortunately, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks!

Breezer wrote: »
    Hmm, now there's an idea. Most of these tend to have gelatine in them unfortunately, but I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks!

no theres a good few without gelatine, like these...

pectin_fruit_slices.jpg

but you find them in poundshops usually :/

pretty sure tesco and lidl have them.

id say theyd have fancier looking boxes

I think that the €2 stores are good for having the pectin jellys. Quite the cheap gift ;)

oh what about jelly belly or jelly bean factory?

they do nice gift bags and boxes

• Advertisement

maameeo wrote: »
    oh what about jelly belly or jelly bean factory?

they do nice gift bags and boxes
    Never heard of those, Google tells me they're brands rather than shops, where are they available?

Breezer wrote: »
    Never heard of those, Google tells me they're brands rather than shops, where are they available?

well i got a small pack in supervalu yesterday but they wouldnt be a gift pack, more a snack pack. id say tesco, dunnes etc, big ones. i know in the airport you can get proper boxes of them...like this...

500g%20Gift%20Box.jpg

but again youd have to check if they are vegan, im not sure :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

At first, I thought you didn't know how to say "Thank You" to a vegan, which confused me terribly!

A card and some cookies maybe? Homemade cookies are the best type of cookies and you can be certain they are vegan as you make them yourself!

Another idea could be a book or journal? I know personally, a pretty journal and a card would be perfect for me and most likely a lot of people! We all need somewhere to write all the stuff we need to do!!

kellief

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If these jellies/beans are veggie they should be vegan generally. Quite delicious too. Some good jellies about in fancy boxes years ago, dunno now, might be a nice gift as they might miss them. :p

Advertisement