Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast ideas

Options
  • 06-08-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm looking for some ideas of what to have for a quick, easy breakfast from you guys.

I usually have cereal but in the past few months I have been getting sick of it. And when I'm abroad, on the continent, I'm particularly at a loss as to what to eat.

Scrambled eggs and omlettes are obvious ones, but I couldn't eat them more than twice a week because I find them hard to digest in large amounts.

I don't mind muesli, but find it can be very dry or very sweet (I'm looking at you Alpen!)

I also don't eat fruit.... I've heard all the cries of disbelief before, but I have my reasons. But suggestions with fruit are welcomed, for other boardsies!

I'm just so used to eating cereal for breakfast that I really find it hard to think of any possible alternatives.

Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Toast and jam would be the most obvious suggestion, I guess... It's what I go for on a more or less daily basis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Try d'low fat natural yogurt on muesli. mmm. I love having 3 hard boiled eggs.
    Breakfast is hard on variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Shenshen wrote: »
    Toast and jam would be the most obvious suggestion, I guess... It's what I go for on a more or less daily basis.

Yeah I have toast and marmalade sometimes, but its not that filling, I'm starving by break time.
    Breakfast is hard on variation.

Aye, that it is. Maybe some boardsies here have some tasty ideas I wouldn't have considered though. Worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Beans and toast with hummus on the toast! It's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I normally have a soya yogurt with mixed seeds. If I'm looking for something extra, a few rice cakes with almond butter does the trick.

I find gluten free porridge with a tbsp or 2 of yogurt mixed in is delicious. For variation, sometimes I have more yogurt with a spoonful of oats and mixed seeds and topped with blueberries.

Left over omelette is always yummy - if I'm having an omelette for dinner I usually make a little extra and keep a portion for the next morning.

I know you don't like fruit but do you like smoothies? A smoothie made with a handful of fresh grapes, fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries, frozen mixed berries, 1/2 glass orange juice, 1/2 glass water (more if it's too thick), a tbsp mixed seeds and a spoon or 2 of natural yogurt (if desired) is delicious and filling.

I love breakfast :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Porridge is the best option to give you energy and it is so yummy!
    Bung a few strawberries or any berries into it!

Other option could be if you do some veggie sausages and toast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Homemade Muesli is great, especially with soya yogurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Although a bit dry, I usually have almond butter + Ryvita crackers, mmmm. Or watermelon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Just a slight variant on the toast and jam thing, I find wholegrain toast with a bit of honey/golden syrup spread across, and chopped banana is reaallly filling. Don't be hungry for hours after two rounds of that in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Never been into 'breakfast food' for breakfast, so if I don't have porridge I'll have normal food. Maybe you could look into stuff you like that isn't generally considered breakfast food?

You could also make a vegetable wrap or sandwich. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Beans and toast with hummus on the toast! It's great.
    brilliant except why the hummus!

Peanut butter on wholewheat toast, then bananas on top. [you could do a bit of honey or jam if you cant do a banana] Very filling.

or would you ever have porridge. ^ You can make your own variation, like a few people said, have some jam in it or flaked almonds, or you can buy some really delicious pre-mixed porridge mixes. TBH a lot of them have fruit in, but they really just taste like jellytots when they're in the mix ;)

The below are available in a lot of health food shops, and are very delicious! I can particularly recommend the apple/cinnamon porridge. Yum. tells you why porridge is good for you too. bonus.
    http://www.foodepedia.co.uk/food/2010/feb/rude_health_tasting.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Feu wrote: »
    brilliant except why the hummus!

because I love hummus and this love manifests itself as hummus on toast!

One of life's simplest pleasures :P

because I love hummus and this love manifests itself as hummus on toast!

One of life's simplest pleasures :P

fair enough! i#ve seen people eat porridge and beans off the same plate!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I like raw mushrooms with ketchup on them, how about that? :D

I like raw mushrooms with ketchup on them, how about that? :D

you like mushrooms :eek:

Feu wrote: »
    you like mushrooms :eek:

You don't like mushrooms?! I eat about a box a day!

nope. fungus with gross texture. The number of times i've gone out to dinner to a nice restaurant only to be offered mushroom risotto :mad: Anyway...

i've been having smoothies a lot the past few weeks. strawberries so good this time of year, and often they are like boxes of 2 for 1 or something. oh no wait, no fruit right?

How about nutella on toast? Yum!

Used to not like mushrooms, like nearly all vegetables, got over it, so yum! To think of all teh days I sed to pick them for my family to eat, hundreds and hundreds, and I didn't like them back then, damn.

She might still like the fruit in the smoothies, very different from eating it. I like teh frozen berries when making mine because of the coldness mmmm.

yes, frozen berries are good. damn good. and really handy to get for the winter too. Brilliant! [sorry to jack but i can't resist strawberry flavour ]

I usually add a spoon of crunchy peanut butter too, for a little protein kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Scrambled tofu with potatoes fried in oil or butter now there's a hearty breakfast for you.

Also any kind of a frittata.

Smoothies - a good way to get alot of fruit in without noticing it.

Mexican style eggs - Huevos Rancheros etc. with refried beans.

Porridge with raisins and bananas.

Thats five days without any repetition!

• Advertisement

Every time you post Henry, I salivate! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

For breakfast I usually have some Quinoa with a bit of green pesto mixed in. nyomnyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Scrambled tofu with potatoes fried in oil or butter now there's a hearty breakfast for you.

Fab, some of them not to my taste, but some food for thought ;)

Smoothies would be too sweet and fruity for me I'm afraid!

Every time you post Henry, I salivate! :)

I have that effect on everyone Tar!
    Fab, some of them not to my taste, but some food for thought ;)

Smoothies would be too sweet and fruity for me I'm afraid!

Try some vegetables as well - carrots, parsley and if thats still too sweet a few young dandelion leaves will sour the taste right down. Also Granny Smith apples will give a bitter taste - nice with some fresh mint leaves to offset the taste. For something different altogether carrot, coriander and fresh chilies - your tongue will be so busy trying to process the heat that sweetness won't enter the equation!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

You can scramble tofu?? i miss srambled egg so much, is it similar in texture?

i am so hungry reading this thread!!

spinach-scrambled-tofu-large.jpg

tada! :p

maameeo wrote: »
    You can scramble tofu?? i miss srambled egg so much, is it similar in texture?

i am so hungry reading this thread!!

Two options:

basic scrambled - (serves 2) 200g firm tofu, drained and well squeezed, then crumbled into scrambled egg sized pieces, 1/4 teaspoon tumeric, 1/2 or less teaspoon salt, handful of fresh herbs finely chopped (I normally use parsley and coriander or parsley and basil or parsley and tarragon depending on the mood), 2 spring onions finely chopped. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add crumbled tofu, salt and tumeric, stirring until tofu starts to brown, add herbs and spring onion and cook for 30 second more, then serve.

Mexican version - (serves 2 again) Tofu done same way as above, 1 jalepeno chili finely chopped, 1 spring onion finely chopped, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tomato seeded and diced, fresh coriander finely chopped (as much as you like), 1/2 teaspoon of smoked or ordinary paprika, 1/4 teaspoon tumeric, 1 corn tortilla brushed with olive oil and heated on medium hot pan until crisp, then crumbled. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil to medium hot in a pan, add chill and onion, cook for one minute, then add tofu, paprika, tumeric and salt, cook til tofu starts to brown (about 3-5 mins), add tomatoes and coriander, cook for one more minute, mix in crumbled tortilla crisps and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I don't mind muesli, but find it can be very dry or very sweet (I'm looking at you Alpen!)

Muesli with soya yoghurt!

Porridge with cinnamon and honey and sunflower seeds.

You don't like mushrooms?! I eat about a box a day!

I might have a mushroom addiction now :/

Innocent smoothies! coz I'm lazy.

Eggs eggs eggs, fried tomatoes mmmmm

I am starving now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

mmmmmm, now if only I knew what a frittata was I'd be set :)

I might just try this hummous with baked beans toast, though it seems like madness to me (THIS IS BREAK-FAST, /kicks in hole).

Normally I just have cereal myself, the last week I've been having some sort of musli with hazlenuts and raisens and orange peel bits in it.

Since nobody has mentioned plain old peanut butter and toast I'll do that in this sentence here.

• Advertisement

raah! wrote: »
    mmmmmm, now if only I knew what a frittata was I'd be set :)

I might just try this hummous with baked beans toast, though it seems like madness to me (THIS IS BREAK-FAST, /kicks in hole).

Normally I just have cereal myself, the last week I've been having some sort of musli with hazlenuts and raisens and orange peel bits in it.

Since nobody has mentioned plain old peanut butter and toast I'll do that in this sentence here.
    You haven't lived til you've eaten a frittata or 10. Like an omlette except filled with vegetables such as potatoes, onions, spinach, tomatoes etc. Lovely hot or cold in a sammich. Might post up a recipe or two later for ya.

Advertisement