Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Vegetarian gripe

Options
  • 28-07-2010 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Does it bother anyone else when tv programmes, documentaries etc. tell vegetarians to 'look away now' when meat processing issues are discussed or shown?

I feel that as a vegetarian I know better than any meat eater what happens in the process of producing meat and I am far from squeamish. I find it's usually the meat-eaters that go into shock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Aisling&M wrote: »
    Does it bother anyone else when tv programmes, documentaries etc. tell vegetarians to 'look away now' when meat processing issues are discussed or shown?

I feel that as a vegetarian I know better than any meat eater what happens in the process of producing meat and I am far from squeamish. I find it's usually the meat-eaters that go into shock.
    I agree. I also find it strange when people apologise for eating meat in front of me. I usually tell them it's them I feel sorry for, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Never noticed this myself, but surely it's meant as a joke rather than serious? Almost as bad as a cooking show with a female host saying "Feminists, look away now!"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The strange thing is though, most of the time nobody knows if they are serious, or just ignorant that tbqh, alot of us veggies can actually watch the meat production process and not be freaked out about it...maybe because we know that the finished product is not gonna be consumed by us, therefore less shocking?

The whole "I'm sorry about eating this <insert meat product here> thing when out with friends has grown old at this stage...I'm sorta fed up telling people to just carry on eating, why be sorry?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Never seen that before, guess they don't mean shock, just not wanting to see something you consider murder or w/e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

When people say sorry for eating meat or do you mind if I eat this in front of you, I just say, I'm a vegetarian, you aren't. I would never force my views on someone and I would never ask someone not to eat meat in front of me.
    It's my choice, not theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I say 'you should be'
    they say 'you wanker'
    and then we all laugh,
    it was the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Reminds me of the time when a Meater found out I was vegetarian over lunch and proceeded to thrust her meat filled sandwich in my face going 'whoa' as a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

To be fair, it's because all us veggies are little pussies and they don't want to make us cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Weyhey wrote: »
    I usually tell them it's them I feel sorry for, not me.

Aw come on. I'm a vegetarian and I'm rolling my eyes at that post. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to explain a lot of preconceptions and prejudices about vegetarianism when someone finds out I don't eat meat, it's annoying enough without people perpetuating it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Aisling&M wrote: »

Have to say I've never seen a program tell vegetarians to look away. Have seen a few shows tell viewers that some people might find some scenes disturbing but never seen one actually single out vegetarians.

• Advertisement
Advertisement