Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe book suggestions please!

Options
  • 27-07-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all. I want to embark on a healthy, vegetarian diet and was hoping someone could recommend some good recipe books please. I was initially going to start with the Blazing Salads one, but have read reports they their stuff is not as healthy as they claim, in that they use a lot of margarine and maple syrup. Anyhow, any suggestions at all would be appreciated. I'd like to go as whole food as possible, and use natural and seasonal ingredients, without wheat or other artificial ingredients.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JCC

I'm not entirely sure it's what your after, but I spotted "Leith's Vegetarian Bible" the other day in the library so said I'd pick it up...It's arranged by vegetable type, and gives lots of good nutritional info as well as recipes. More for the dedicated veggie though, I'm thinking I'll buy a copy once this one has to go back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

I can really recommend Delia's Vegetarian Collection, goes through quick recipes, but also like a veggie dinner party :D. Can be got for cheap enough on amazon

Getting for e.g Rose Elliot Veggie Express i find quite useful because it tells you how many calories, and especially how much carb/protein is in a meal. It really helped me to try to make balanced meals. Obviously, you could get any veggie book that does this, that's just the one I have. In fact, many veggie recipe books do this.

Also spotted this when i was looking up the name of Madhur Jaffrey's book, which is excellent, tho some might be put off by it's arrangement according to ingredients. Rose Elliot is a real veggie authority

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2003/may/20/top10s.vegetarian.cookbooks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 papsita

Hi all. Thanks a million for the suggestions, I will check them out. I also just bought the Cornucopia cookbook, which has some really lovely healthy stuff in it. Their philosophy is based on Hippocrates' saying, "Let food be thy medicine," which is spot on really.

Oh that's great! let us know what the cornucopia book is like?

i forgot to say, apaprently the Cafe Paradiso cook book [cork restaurant/cafe] is brilliant, a few people have recommended it to me, but i haven't got it yet, so i can't give details :)

yeh, i would much prefer the cornucopia book over the blazing salads book, just personal preference

The Cornucopia book is really nice. They've put a lot of love into it. And all their recipes are coded according to whether they are wheat or dairy free, or whatever, which is really helpful. Also, they give loads of nice tips on things like growing your own sprouted beans and that kind of thing. So far I've just made one recipe - the lentil and vegetable moussaka. It felt so wholesome to eat and was really tasty too, especially heated up the next day when the flavours had kicked in even more. I would strongly recommend this book. There is great variety of recipes and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I love that Cornucopia book. :)

We have The Vegetarian Student Cookbook here, easy mmm

yeh think i might have to invest in the cornucopia book - love the food there but bit expensive for student :( THe soup is always good tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

student discount is available in cornucopia. certain times only, so do ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I've always wanted to get this: The Enchanted Broccoli Forest

I just have recipes I've taken from magazines, the Linda McCartney book my aunt gave me and the Student Vegetarian

The Enchanted Broccoli Forest! What a brilliant name. I may have to buy it for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

haha, I love the name and cover! And broccoli!

student discount is available in cornucopia. certain times only, so do ask.

never even thought to ask! thanks!

and yes, i've always considered broccoli to be magical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Enchanted Broccoli Forest is one I don't have, but do have 3 other Moosewood books including Low Fat Moosewood, Sundays at Moosewood and Molly Katzens first book (can't remember name of that one), all excellent - Sundays at Moosewood especially, as it has recipes grouped to various countries; Japan, Mexico, Italy etc. Some fish recipes , so watch out.

If I were to pick an all time favorite though, it would have to be Deborah Madisons books - Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madisons Kitchen - easy to make dinners that taste sublime, much easier than getting caught up in knots trying to cook a Cafe Paradiso dinner (which also taste sublime).

If its healthy you're looking for then the Moosewood low fat is good, and also some of the 'Cranks' books ain't bad.

Advertisement