Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He takes a whiskey drink...

Options
  • 24-07-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Oh wait, I've used that one already.

Anyway, interesting results from that last survey, so I am taking it a step further and focussing on whiskey.

I have Zaph to thank for getting me into bourbon, but he will never forgive me for taking a liking to Jim Beam. Cheap and cheerful, that's me.

So, if you were to pour yourself a small one at the end of the day, what would it be?

If you were to pour yourself a small one, what would it be? 52 votes

Irish whiskey, best in the world
    0%
    Scotch whiskey, best evar
    63%
    Mr.Applepietony 2 toneNevynenda1SkrynesaverMick ShrimptonplonkcythonThe Hill Billy[Deleted User]dr.bollockoadmiralofthefleetSligoBrewerjukeSRFC90convertseamus1980Diabhal BeagPeteEdkiwikid 33 votes
    Bourbon "whiskey", God bless America
    13%
    folanrobinphCiDeRmAnadrian522laois gaelJust Like Heavenshrubs 7 votes
    Something else - do tell us
    23%
    Tom Dunnethe_sycoKevokZaphbasseyphill106Wino82RushdiewhaaamesScrambled eggreceditedinorebel 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Admiral of the Fleet got me onto this
    black-bush.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I lol'd at the name of the whiskey,'Black Bush'.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

star-pants wrote: »
    I notice that you're not saying that Admiral of the Fleet got you into Black Bush :D :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ended up in the Neptune up in Bettystown with a mate of mine, started drinking the usual cider and then after a few decided to work our way through the whiskey/whisky selection behind the bar.
    What a night!
    Now my mate is a real nice guy but there tends to be a lecture before each drink is taken, so before sipping my way into bliss I would hear, in detail, about the abbots that created this one from heather and prayer, or the one made on an island off the north of Scotland that has to be shipped in by wee boat and look, yes you can smell the sea off of it.
    So educational fun was had, as we did a coastal tour of the british isles, but those island scots whiskys, amazing, such a spectrum of flavours, and such a headache morning after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Oh - Irish whiskey all the way - nothing like a 12 year old Jemmie!

Except I am forbidden to drink it anymore :o

Couldn't go near the bourbon - smells like aftershave :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just before the final year one nursing exams, back in '90, me and my mate were requested to get a bottle of Suddy for the girls in the class, we were all living in the nursing home at the time.
    Off we went to the pub, Ballincar House Hotel, near Rosses Point.
    No Suddy, but my mate got a bottle of Mulligan, a similar whiskey liqueur and after a few pints we headed back.
    Cut to my room and the girls came down and we all drank this stuff, everyone getting very drunk.
    I awoke that morning, on the floor next to the bed, sadly all the girls were long gone.
    But they did leave a little something to remember them by, namely a sink full of Mulligan tinged vomit, which had to dispose of.
    I'm not sure if more than one person had up-chucked there, but there was an awful lot of it.
    And so, since then, not a drop of Suddy has passed my lips,
    The Horror!
    The Horror!

(was nice to have a room full of pyjama clad student nurses though, hmmm....)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

juke wrote: »
    Couldn't go near the bourbon - smells like aftershave :confused:

You're obviously not drinking the good stuff ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Suddy or JD. May get myself a bottle of Suddy the next time I'm out foreign.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

hennessy.jpg

Drink of champions!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

I've tried whiskey maybe 5 times in my life ... I've also had my nose broken maybe 5 times in my life.

You join the dots.

The soulful allure of whiskey is lost on me :(

• Advertisement

Cider, preferably a nice pint of Bulmers, followed by a Crested Ten, perfeck.
    Crested Ten, the good stuff.

Also, got a bottle of bourbon called Gentleman Jack, a special version of Jack Daniels in a mighty purdy bottle too, not to mention a now empty one!
    Gentleman%20Jack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Southern Comfort.

And no, I don't care that it isn't a "real" whiskey. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's a liqueur.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Jameson would be my preference... And as mentioned above 12yo Jemmie is always nice to settle down in a comfy chair with. Bushmills isn't too bad, either.

Don't like bourbon at all - my stomach wrenches any time I smell JD or Suddy!*

*And no, I've not had any bad experiences with them, I never touch the stuff. I just can't stand the smell.

convert wrote: »
    Don't like bourbon at all - my stomach wrenches any time I smell JD or Suddy!*

*And no, I've not had any bad experiences with them, I never touch the stuff. I just can't stand the smell.

For the record, neither are actually bourbon. Bourbon is from Kentucky, whereas JD is Tennessee whiskey and Southern Comfort is more correctly described as toilet cleaner.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I can't touch any of that American stuff. Too cloying and sugary for my tastes. My preferance would be for a nice Irish Whiskey.
    Available at a reasonable price in most offies would be this wee fella:

tyrconnell-single_malt.jpg

Once I started drinking Irish I lost my taste for scotch entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I can't touch any of that American stuff. Too cloying and sugary for my tastes. My preferance would be for a nice Irish Whiskey.
    Available at a reasonable price in most offies would be this wee fella:

tyrconnell-single_malt.jpg

Once I started drinking Irish I lost my taste for scotch entirely.

Ahh, that reminds me. I got a bottle of that when I left the job last year.

Matured in Port barrells, no less. Gives it a lovely sweet flavour.

Yumm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Zaph wrote: »
    For the record, neither are actually bourbon. Bourbon is from Kentucky, whereas JD is Tennessee whiskey and Southern Comfort is more correctly described as toilet cleaner.

Oops... Just realised I've a typo in my post... There should have been an 'and' before 'my stomach wrenches'.... That will learn me not to post when at 2.30 in the morning just after finishing writing about legal statutes in eighteenth-century Ireland! :D And I really hope my mate from Kentucky isn't reading this - she'd kill me if she thought I'd made such a blunder!!! :(

I'm fascinated by the patriotism being shown here. :D

In other news, anyone try that Canadian Club muck? Had to resort to trying it recently, for many reasons, and it was utterly rancid. My tastes bud are prone to take hammering from manys a different taste, but this really did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Terrible stuff.

My most disappointing whisk(e)y endeavour was VAT 69.
    For shame!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

black bush, the finest whiskey known to man

i only have it on occasion now because it causes me to get giddy/silly

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

I'm a JIM BEAM man myself....i find it so easy to drink and its so cheap too....!!

Any Takers...?????

whaaames wrote: »
    I'm a JIM BEAM man myself....i find it so easy to drink and its so cheap too....!!

Any Takers...?????

Right there with you, brother.

I got four 750ml bottles in duty free for 40 Euro. Bliss. They even came in their own carry case, with a handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

I brought 2 bottles home with me from Lanzarote, €9.50 each, but that case sounds savage..!!

I started drinking Jim in boston a few years back...hooked

whaaames wrote: »
    I brought 2 bottles home with me from Lanzarote, €9.50 each, but that case sounds savage..!!

I started drinking Jim in boston a few years back...hooked

I started drinking Jim in bed last night.

Then I fell asleep and started having sweet dreams about a set of Taiwanese midgets named Ethel and Rupert who offered to paint my kitchen in a shade of lilac while singing Neil Diamond songs.

I said no. I don't like Neil Diamond.

Not even the stuff he wrote for the Monkees?
    I'd make an exception for a set of Taiwanese midgets named Ethel and Rupert who offered to paint my kitchen in a shade of lilac while singing "I'm a Believer".

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not even the stuff he wrote for the Monkees?
    I'd make an exception for a set of Taiwanese midgets named Ethel and Rupert who offered to paint my kitchen in a shade of lilac while singing "I'm a Believer".

You make a very good point.

But I draw the line at "Last train to Klarksville"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

Tom Dunne wrote: »

To the best of my knowledge, Neil Diamond didn't write that one.

It shows.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Diamond.
    (But its generally best if he ain't fecking singing it.)

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You make a very good point.

What heresy is this? Last Train to Clarksville is one of The Monkees' finest tunes.

Advertisement