Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can't seem to install the Splashtop app on my Mac. When I run the download nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Can't seem to install the Splashtop app on my Mac. When I run the download nothing happens.

Looks like the Mac file is a .dmg (disk image) and you will probably need to use toast or whatever disc burning software you currently have.
    Apple disc copy will open it, or if you're running Panther, disk utility.
    It should be in the Applications/Utilties folder.

edit
    I'm an idiot! I misread your post.

Just run the iPad version after you install the Mac version.

/edit

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭snowyeoghan

What do you mean nothing happens?

Does the app run? If so, and your getting "cannot connect to server" (or something like that), you need to edit your hosts file (/etc/hosts) so that:

127.0.0.1 localhost

is changed to

127.0.0.1 yourcomputername

yourcomputer name can be found under system preferences > sharing

tallus wrote: »
    Looks like the Mac file is a .dmg (disk image) and you will probably need to use toast or whatever disc burning software you currently have.
    Apple disc copy will open it, or if you're running Panther, disk utility.
    It should be in the Applications/Utilties folder.

edit
    I'm an idiot! I misread your post.

Just run the iPad version after you install the Mac version.

/edit

Nope, you were right actually. I had to open it with Disk utility and install from there. Normally, I don't have to do that.
    What do you mean nothing happens?

I meant just that. Nothing happened!

Have to admit that's a pretty cool app. Maybe a little clunky to control? But I won't condemn so quickly having not spent time getting used to it. I think these remote type apps are my favourite, like ZumoCast, it just feels like the future.

I think these remote type apps are my favourite, like ZumoCast, it just feels like the future.

I agree, it'll be Really handy if you want to use the ipad set up a download on the home pc from work, and have it finished by the time you get home :)

• Advertisement

Or...or...if you know your flatmate is on a day off, give him a call and ask him to go into your room because you think you left your Mac on. When he does you just start writing a message to him on screen but he'll think it's a g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-ghost! :eek:

Hahah! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

So have I got this right? While the likes of Plex,Airvideo, Zumocast let you stream and some cases download from your main server, this one actually let's you fully control it from your iPad? Ie, download files to your Mac/PC using your iPad?

Yes. It's a remote desktop application.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

adox wrote: »
    So have I got this right? While the likes of Plex,Airvideo, Zumocast let you stream and some cases download from your main server, this one actually let's you fully control it from your iPad? Ie, download files to your Mac/PC using your iPad?

It also lets you edit documents ,set up downloads, you can watch flash eg. RTE player thats playing on your PC on your ipad and if you did happen to forget something thats on your PC at home you could access it or easily email it to yourself if you had to print it or whatever. It's also excellent for controlling your pc if you have it attached up to the telly but aren't sitting near it, like when you're watching a film. I could go on. It's all kind of useful!

• Advertisement

Well downloaded the app last night and used it and while it does everything that was said here, the stream quality of media is awful for me. Jerky play back, not watchable at all really.

I will still use it, but for streaming video content I'll stick with Plex and Airvideo, which do such a much better job. It's like night and day.

Same here adox, I tried streaming from videolan on the pc and it was very very laggy adn slow, but everything else works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Does Splashtop only work when you're on the same network as the computer? I tried it outside the house and it couldn't find the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Does Splashtop only work when you're on the same network as the computer? I tried it outside the house and it couldn't find the computer

AFAIK, the only way to do it atm, is using port forwarding in your router, you need to forward port 6783-6785 in your router to the PC you want to control. You may also need to set up dyndns or similar. I have asked the authors about this and they are working on something to do away with this, but no time frame was mentioned

Join Ireland Weather Network

It's stopped working for me now. It's loses connection just after it's connected up. :(

I've reported it on their forum. Someone else also using it with a Mac has reported the same problem, with the same code number that appears on the screen. Will see if they can come up with a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Anybody else get the new Sunday Times app? It's the English version of the paper, takes a while to download but it's free today (Sunday Dec 12). I think it's pretty good and at a £1 an edition and it's got all the sections. I might download it instead of cluttering up the gaff with all the supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Say what now?

I was going to get it, but I read that it was only the weekday editions, not the Sunday edition. Must go for it now.

And Sunday Business Post employees, are you listening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭Poochie05

There is a separate app for the weekday Times.

Sunday Times app is excellent, I have to say. May be the one app I actually end up buying content on, having tried the Wired and Economist ones and finding them quite low on content.

Sunday Times app is excellent, I have to say. May be the one app I actually end up buying content on, having tried the Wired and Economist ones and finding them quite low on content.

Absolutely.

I had to be told to put down the iPad at 11:00pm last night. :)

• Advertisement

My god that sunday times app is bloody excellent!

Is the regular Hulu no longer available in the US store? All I can see is Hulu Plus.

A cool little game recommended to me tonight is Stick Golf. Very addictive little crazy golf game. Lots of levels available for free so you can make your mind up about whether to buy the level pack.

Re: The Sunday Times app, I notice their subscription model ties you into buying the Times as well, which I'm not interested in. I'll be interested in seeing the pricepoint per issue (someone said it was going to be €1 but I can't find this anywhere). I'll almost certainly still buy it but it'd be nice to subscribe for the year and not have to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Is the regular Hulu no longer available in the US store? All I can see is Hulu Plus.

Yup it's no longer available. Infact was it ever available ?
    As it was a free app I've looked for it on... well lets just say in places other than itunes, and there was no response to my search there either.

It's a shame that it's gone but I suppose all the good free stuff will probably start drying up in time.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

As it was a free app I've looked for it on... well lets just say in places other than itunes, and there was no response to my search there either.

It's a shame that it's gone but I suppose all the good free stuff will probably start drying up in time.

HulloMail is going paid , price of the ad-free app is €5.49 for the year !!!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Are many of you using the VLC app? It's great to be able to play files of any format and all but I find it very buggy: it tends to regularly freeze up on me. I only have to exit it and leave it a while before I go back in again so it's no huge deal but just wondering has anyone else had the same experiences. Any alternatives? I use Airvideo when I'm in the house but for when I'm on the go.

I don't think there ever was a free hulu app.

If you have a Mac you can access Hulu on your iPad with Plex.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Are many of you using the VLC app? It's great to be able to play files of any format and all but I find it very buggy: it tends to regularly freeze up on me. I only have to exit it and leave it a while before I go back in again so it's no huge deal but just wondering has anyone else had the same experiences. Any alternatives? I use Airvideo when I'm in the house but for when I'm on the go.

OPlayer HD Lite wipes the floor with VLC. I tried VLC myself for less than a day but it was too buggy. OPlayer plays everything I have thrown at it and never crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

nkay1985 wrote: »

VLC player has never crashed on me. OPlayer HD is a very good alternative too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

I assume the Sunday Times app will be UK edition only though? Some of the Irish content is pretty good in fairness.

Quite like the 2-in-1 subscription with the regular Times. Used to buy the Monday edition for "The Game" before Ireland started getting the International (read "no supplements") version of the paper.

Advertisement