Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cloughjordan Eco-Village

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

A very valid question dynamic. Hemp is the same as timber and the lime protects the timber and stops it from rotting. You will see timber windows in old ruins that have been in ruins for over 20 years and the timber completely exposed to the elements.

The water getting in is not the problem and you will only have a problem if the moisture can not get back out. The lime vaporises the moisture and it is this process that hardens the render. We have tried different methods and found that unless each coat of render is floated problems will arise. We had to scrape down all the renders that were left with a steel trowel finish. We did 3 videos in 08 showing how to apply each coat and you will see that I floated each coat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrSpX8LF0Lw . The job I did in the video can be seen and we still have not white washed it.

Thanks for the info on the blocks.

Our plans are different from your plans. This is not to imply that there is anything wrong with your plans. We intend to have different designs but the same wall, roof insulation etc on all the houses to reduce costs. Your blocks will definitely on the table as we intend to make most of the blocks etc on site. We have to import timber because there is very little available here and the waste from our saw mill can also go to making your blocks. Putting concrete into the blocks will not happen for several reasons instead we will either fill them with hempcrete or NHL 5 and sand. (If we decide to use them)

At present all that is agreed for definite is our village will be powered with a combination of wind and water turbines and solar panels. All the internal insulation will be sheep's wool processed close to the site. Hemp will be widely used and will be grown in Ireland.

Hi Quentingargan

You misunderstand my post. I do not have mould any place near me thank God but if I did I would panic. The message below was posted on another Forum and as you can see the general public are slowly recognising the dangers of moulds. The Arch on a job we were on told me that this black mould can be compared to asbestos and it is actually worse when dry and invisible and should be treated as toxic waste. I would be one of the 10% that believes mould is an issue.

Health risk from EWIS and other facade coatings
    EWIS seem to have a considerable health risk. The enviroment is damaged as well from the biozides leaching out.

See

http://www.axioma-project.eu/calenda...-coatings.html

Quote:
    Background Info

• Ten percent of homeowners believe that mould is an issue in their neighbourhoods while 35 percent of home builders and 19 percent of real estate agents believe that this is an issue in the homes they build/sell.
    • A total of 11% of the entire global burden of disease has been attributed to unhealthy buildings.
    • Coatings in the built environment usually exhibit biocidal functionality between 0.5 and 2 years, whereas the desired service life in building practice is at least 10 years.

There was no attendance from Irish or British speakers at the recent conference, the issue seems to be ignored in the English speaking world.

See

http://www.hsr.ch/uploads/tx_nmagend...2011_Flyer.pdf

Mind that particular EWIS might be hazardous waste and the whole lot being declared as non-habitable in the future. The well and water sources polluted, the site being worthless. The water authorities demanding money from the site owners to clean up the mess.
    Who knows....who cares? Sustainable building done by green horns .....
    user_offline.gif

Advertisement