Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which dessert is the most vegan-friendly?

Options
  • 21-07-2010 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

It's my sisters wedding in about a week and the desserts aren't exactly vegan-friendly. I know that they probably all contain a source of dairy but what would you say contains the least??

Warm apple crumble & vanilla ice cream
    Gateau Opera with layers of ganache & coffee butter cream
    Duo of Callebaut white & dark chocolate mousse
    Hazelnut delice with butterscotch sauce & crushed hazelnuts
    Creamy baileys cheesecake with seasonal berries
    Lemon tart with blackcurrant sorbet
    Dunboyne selection of ice cream
    Irish cheese board
    Petit fours

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I would imagine the Apple Crumble would be the better option of them all really, as I can guess that the ice-cream is optional in that dish too? Hopefully it is, then there is not too much to worry about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭katiemce

I would imagine the Apple Crumble would be the better option of them all really, as I can guess that the ice-cream is optional in that dish too? Hopefully it is, then there is not too much to worry about :)

Yeah I agree. They give a horrible selection of desserts! They're all drenched in dairy :P I hope it's optional!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i went to a wedding recently and their was no vegan option for dessert, never really is, but they gave my a big bowl of fruit, it was nice, i was so stuffed tho :)

im not vegan tho, i was just trying to stay off dairy for 3months due to food intolerance.

your new to veganism arnt you? dont think its much harm in you having an apple crumble this one time, maybe vegans would think different i duno but you have a plan to be vegan so a lil slip at the start isnt so bad :)

hope you have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Are all of these desserts going to be available? You could check if the sorbet has dairy/egg in it, and have that with the seasonal berries? Everything else probably has dairy in it - crumble is usually made with butter - you could check though, they might use a non-dairy marge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You should ring the hotel and let them know. If you give warning they are generally happy to do something for you. They won't mind trying to cater for you; just don't leave it til the day.

As mentioned, most places will do a fruit salad - for some cheap hotels that's the tinned stuff, but this hotel seems like it would do you the freshly prepared fruit :)

The sorbet is also usually vegan. You could ask them if fresh fruit and blackberry sorbet would be possible? Just check that it is indeed a sorbet made with water, blackberries and sugar and no other ingredients such as egg whites (a quick google says that that is the only possible odd ingredient, but the norm is non-dairy/no-egg). They will need to ask the chef. Otherwise you can't go wrong with just fruit.

The apple crumble is going to contain a lot of butter...

Let us know how it goes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭katiemce

Thanks everyone! I might just do what maameeo said and ask for a big bowl of fruit :D

Advertisement