Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

aug intake......

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jonnym61

So induction day was alot of fun.

I have a query hopefully someone whos gone through it all before can answer and its on that old favourite, definitions.

The Sgt. said we'd to learn the 1st 5 definitions; does he mean the 1st section that has 5 pages to it and is tested early, but i can only identify 4 actual definitions in this section? Are we meant to learn the rest of that section verbatim?

Have to admit i was a little confused on that one myself, starting on them tonight, gonna be fun :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

The first 5 definitions are the PCR ones, courtesy first and critical incident last, assuming the order is the same (it should be).

And yes, learn the definitions verbatim. Especially GOWISELY and Art 3 Caution.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I have a query hopefully someone whos gone through it all before can answer and its on that old favourite, definitions.

The Sgt. said we'd to learn the 1st 5 definitions; does he mean the 1st section that has 5 pages to it and is tested early, but i can only identify 4 actual definitions in this section? Are we meant to learn the rest of that section verbatim?

I'm checking this out for you, and I hope to have an answer either tomorrow or over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

Do we not have to learn all the PCR and CJS definitions that are tested in week 5? They said to learn as many as possible over and on top of these as well as if will make life easier for us.

After induction, I can't wait to start! There was a good mix of people there, everyone seems really friendly in GV.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

What cracks me up is, if what I've heard is true, people not turning up and people deciding after a security brief that they no longwer want the job.

Why is the selection process not capable of weeding these people out before they waste a space?

• Advertisement

wanadrum wrote: »
    What cracks me up is, if what I've heard is true, people not turning up and people deciding after a security brief that they no longwer want the job.

Why is the selection process not capable of weeding these people out before they waste a space?

It is true about a couple of people not turning up for induction but I'm not sure about the security brief one. I'm sure I'll find out on my first day.

They do try to scare you a bit with talks on security and all the things that are expected of you, not just at GV but also throughout your career. I suppose it's better for them to leave now, rather than putting the organisation through the expense of going through a couple of weeks and then dropping out.

As I say, I'm only going on what one trainee told me.

Seriously though - do you really have to get to the induction night before you realise the threat? Or what is going to be expected of them?

Yes, better to get rid of them now, but really, they have already cost the organistaion a bit of expense, and most importantly wasted a space which some other people would 'give their right arm for'.

Can they replace the drop outs at this stage?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Can they replace the drop outs at this stage?
    Nope. If you didn't attend SID, you're not in this intake (unless you've been back-squadded).

I agree that people need to think long and hard about joining. There are people who join and leave on the first day, and that space can not be given to another person, so it's just a wasted space that most people reading this would have been more than happy to take. If you back out now, you've just wasted tens of thousands of tax-payers money. It increases if you leave on Day 1 or thereafter.

One very good reason to introduce an interview to the selection process - find out if people really want the job, and what their expectations are.

I have heard so many stories re people not turning up, dropping out, getting kicked out and completing training and then leaving - it makes my blood boil!

Perhaps they sould create some process in order to the fill spaces of those who don't turn up for the induction.

Also - why don't people let them know in advance if they don't intend to turn up? i really can't comprehend why someone goes through the whole process, knowing how much competition there is, accepts a start date etc. only to fail to turn up.

I understand if someone is nervous about starting - that is natural.

What would you all think of a mandatory payment system introduced for wasting police time for this, similar to army training?

The amount of money it takes to recruit one person is enormous, so if someone changes their mind on Day 1, should they have to pay the costs of their uniform (which gets incinerated when they leave), and refund the taxpayer for wasting the money spent on recruiting them?

It certainly would weed out those who could potentially fake interest at an interview!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Ace idea ! Way to go ! I get so p1ssed off when I hear about this nonsense of no-shows and drop outs - I've heard one big reason given is the shift working , yeah like crims only work 9-5 :mad:

I would most definitely be in favour of such a system PSNI - though I can't see it ever happening.
    Fitness should also be a prerequisite as one in theory should take the personal responsibility to keep fit before, during and after GV. (Having said that there are a lot of officers in terrible shape - I see them regularly around Belfast, normally at fast food outlets).

How much does it cost just to get 1 recruit to the gate of GV? Something like £12.3M/440=£28k

I reckon the fine should be £1200 for failing to turn up. (£12.3M/10000 applicants)
    Also dropping out or being kicked due to basic failures in fitness etc should incur a fine so as to stop someone getting around the failure to turn up fine.

I heard about a recruit who failed GV on fitness, reapplied got in again and failed again on fitness - no excuse for that at all. Wasted 2 spaces and an absolute fortune!

I heard about a recruit who failed GV on fitness, reapplied got in again and failed again on fitness - no excuse for that at all. Wasted 2 spaces and an absolute fortune!

Please , pretty please in fact - tell me that's not true .

I cannot say one way or the other that it is true as a matter of fact - but the person who told me is a current officer, is very trustworthy and would have no reason to have made it up, therefore I believe it to be true.

Absolutely sickening!

This is true. The guy was an absolute waste from what I hear.

psni wrote: »
    This is true. The guy was an absolute waste from what I hear.

Shocking....just shocking........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

You have to blame the system more than the person due to the way it is set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

The application process is set up for a certain reason which I will not go into but begs the question...how many people who get in, are not suited to the job due to their true intentions/aspirations/intelligence/job awareness/fitness/etc,etc.
    Sigh

Hey all, has anyone had a phone call from external appointments re Car insurance??

jonnym61 wrote: »
    Hey all, has anyone had a phone call from external appointments re Car insurance??

Nope, I've heard nothing from them. Do we have to bring a car insurance certificate to GV?

• Advertisement

jclegs wrote: »
    Nope, I've heard nothing from them. Do we have to bring a car insurance certificate to GV?

Not sure, gonna put it in the car to be on the safe side! Maybe im being paranoid but im just worried now that the call might not have been from PSNI at all, will feel better when somone else gets it lol

jonnym61 wrote: »
    Not sure, gonna put it in the car to be on the safe side! Maybe im being paranoid but im just worried now that the call might not have been from PSNI at all, will feel better when somone else gets it lol

I thought I heard one of the admin staff mention it at induction so I think we'll be safer bringing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

jclegs wrote: »

Isn't car insurance listed as one of the things to bring?

I read somewhere that if you wish to bring your car onto the GV campus you need to bring all your driving documents.

You have to bring your certificate of insurance with you on your first day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pastashapes

I was just doing my workbook tonight, and I suppose this will only apply to those who are fairly 'inexperienced' in the job market like myself... be that kids or education or something but I'm finding it hard to evidence Section B- I have got some stuff down but I don't feel like I have the quality of responses that more experienced students would have.

Have other people felt this at all?

Folks , do be careful what you say about the study material you were given . It is official P.S.N.I. and therefore confidential.
    If in doubt PM psni.
    Thanks

May I ask if I fell foul of anything there? I think it would be best to know as I absolutely don't want to infringe on anything.

May I ask if I fell foul of anything there? I think it would be best to know as I absolutely don't want to infringe on anything.

Yes , 2 dozen lashes for you :D

No pasta , you're not picking up an infraction for your question posted. Rather my post was a warning to those who may try and answer your question - it would be easy to find yourselves discussing things that are inappropriate to a public forum.
    Call it a 'gentle reminder ' to be cautious.....

Thanks for asking.

• Advertisement

Phew!

That's ok, I agree it's best to be aware! That and I don't want a major kick up the back side.

Thanks

Advertisement